• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What AP Franken(s) do you have in the works?!

HAIRlab_DC

Looking Around
17/2/21
Is there anyone in the states (or maybe even NY) who offers CNC milling? I have a case 3D scanned.

As part of my job, I work I deal with private CNC shops all the time, and have naturally approached some of the smaller ones over the years with prospective watch-related projects. The answer to your question is there are shops capable of milling watch cases (although taking a 3D scan to actually milling requires several additional steps), but in my experience milling a single case would almost certainly cost more than any potential flaw-elimination would be worth--unless a couple K would be worth fixing flaws that .0001% of the people who see your watch would recognize. The alternative would be plunking down the money to do do a larger run and hoping to sell 30 or 40 to fellow franken-builders or by collecting the money for a larger run in advance. My suggestion would be to lurk on some of the CNC fora, where there are many talented hobbyists who may be willing to help. This was very helpful for a robotics project (which required a part much more difficult to code and mill than an AP case) that I did with my son a couple of years ago. Of course, no matter which route you take, explaining why you want a watch case milled to certain specs might require some finesse.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Gen 2020 15500 dial indented for a member here.
RonP this will be used as the basis of comparison for a black 15500 I am working on for the dial finish.
ZXF37S.jpg

[
ZXFK3Q.jpg

N0tail_

1/6/17
If anyone wanted to go crazy and pick up a genuine 3120 movement, some users on Reddit pointed me towards a watchmaker located in NYC that was selling one.

No affiliation, contact is @overtimenyc on Instagram.

Asking price is.... well you'll find out :wacko:

montblanc2

Renowned Member
26/1/15
Hi guys i quite finished my 26470 genestein project, I am only looking for a complete 3126 movement, if someone could help in getting one I will really appreciate
0d12679b0224c3e6934d492c1e712219.jpg

Inviato dal mio SM-F916B utilizzando Tapatalk

Reactions: mrsullivan

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
My new Franken RGRC done by the famous [mention]flying-tommy [/mention] and [mention]dmuit [/mention]
Thank you guys for such an amazing professional job well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beautiful but isn't the crystal sticking out a tad too much ?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

I don’t know if it’s done on purpose to emulate an RGRC with the rubber cladding stripped.
The gens which had that done have this crystal height too.

Nice watch Markaplan keep it up!

Reactions: Allure

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
I don’t know if it’s done on purpose to emulate an RGRC with the rubber cladding stripped.
The gens which had that done have this crystal height too.

Nice watch Markaplan keep it up!

oh true ya..

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
My new Franken RGRC done by the famous [mention]flying-tommy [/mention] and [mention]dmuit [/mention]
Thank you guys for such an amazing professional job well done.

Respectable effort, and decent looking franken (usual flaws exist of course) but as an individual watch it looks very good.
I am partial toward RC frankens like this due to the date window cutout being rectangle which is accurate to the 2226/2840 or 2326/2840 movement used in the gen rubberclads. Of course this will make the datewheel look slightly incorrect but these are details best left in the forum. The real life visual translation of this watch will be nothing less than stupendous I am sure.

Markaplan

Supporter
9/10/20

For the specific model, the height is usually high. For my watch I used a 2.5mm thick AR from Switzerland which is maybe the closest to GEN in the aftermarket world.

Markaplan

Supporter
9/10/20
Respectable effort, and decent looking franken (usual flaws exist of course) but as an individual watch it looks very good.
I am partial toward RC frankens like this due to the date window cutout being rectangle which is accurate to the 2226/2840 or 2326/2840 movement used in the gen rubberclads. Of course this will make the datewheel look slightly incorrect but these are details best left in the forum. The real life visual translation of this watch will be nothing less than stupendous I am sure.

Yes some minor flaws are there. At the end of the day it’s a rep. I appreciate your kind words. Thank you

Moondustesp

Known Member
29/5/15
Another Franken was also created on the same weekend. (What a great but expensive Weekend;)
I have had this model three times and it is certainly one of the most built Franken.

The white Rubberclad somehow does not let go of me. For a while I was a bit bored with it. Therefore also the 3 built Franks. But, it is also simply a classic.
An older sporty watch, which still looks modern and one with the most beautiful Lume.

So here's to a new one. What should be different with this model than with the others?

I wanted to have a brand new set, which currently comes in exchange during a revision at AP.
There are certainly three slightly different dials for the white Rubberclad, which have been used over the years (no guarantee how many there really are).

The older ones have a slightly curved lume with a hump. The numbers are not so distinctively framed. The sub dials had a slight grey.

The next dial was a bit flatter from the lume, the numbers not so distinctively framed.

The current one, which is used in the revisions, has a very flat lume. The numbers are a bit more strikingly framed in black and the sub dials shimmer from grey to silver in the light. This dial with new Gen hands, you sparkle and the shimmer of the sub dials is an absolute dream for me and looks very modern.
Suddenly not boring anymore and I catch myself playing with the watch constantly in the light.
You can also call me a psycho and a lover of details. Lol

Facts:

- new Set actually run Gen Dial and Tachy
- new Set Gen Hands
- Swiss LWO Movement
- thick 1 x AR Glass (2.5mm)
- Mikey's thick 1 x AR Cyclope
- Mikey's Classic Datewheel
- new JF Base Watch
- Domi's Franken Work, see description Volcano, it's the same.

Perfect Watch for sporty daily wearing.

0c0cc58f4c3ced0146e8db0df3c2b5eb.jpg

d2301e5d503ac5a3db03f89858e0525c.jpg

5e2083d608bc05f16aab91dda3a5e8bf.jpg

00eaa340f25edd2d8256bd411d0ad3b7.jpg

cb6242d755f755a15e8afbec114eb18c.jpg

bf968f1dc2664aeaba40401b88db1669.jpg

70cf0210457fd0ee085956c8c6e4ab66.jpg

d35d9e6fd54b1f3f8f868e8acb96b919.jpg

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

That is a dream watch right there. Absolutely love it!

anto88

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/1/21
Wao! this is the kind of rep I'd like to buy!!!! congratulations!

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19
I started building a 44mm 26401PO Franken. I am either really dumb..... or really really dumb. I acquired a gen steel 44mm offshore case, gen 26401 dial, LWO283, and a modern mickey Datewheel 2892. On top of that I bought a "for parts" base watch on this forum. It turns out that my "for parts" base watch was actually missing parts so I resorted to posting WTB ads for the missing bezel screw and back screws. Anyway, here is the pain,... I mean progress that you all want to see.

Parts:
Correct crown height and pushers installed: