• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What AP Franken(s) do you have in the works?!

Edgematic

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/08
Guys, long time since I've posted. I've been reading though!
So, after going gen for a long while I got triggered again to build another franken ROO

Specs will be:
All gen safari old style, except for the movement

My question, who in the EU to use for assembly? Domi stopped working on reps (from what I've heard), slaughterer62 isn't replying and hasn't posted for a long while overhere.
Any recommendations?

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
My question, who in the EU to use for assembly? Domi stopped working on reps (from what I've heard), slaughterer62 isn't replying and hasn't posted for a long while overhere.
Any recommendations?

I think Domi still at work yes, and Slaughterer has been busy that's maybe why he's not answered yet.

Envoyé de mon ELE-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

mlk2000m0

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/5/20
He he, thanks T. My work area is covered with a new surface with every build. The black centimeter square is made of three layers of rubber and helps organize little parts visually as I am working. The lume pots are used over and over for storing groups of components. The plastic boxes are dust protection. I am using two watchmaker horizontal lamps on each side usually, two different types of Rodico. etc. You can even see the little wooden tools I make out of peg on the lower right. I am hyperaware of fragility and susceptibility to cosmetic and mechanical damage in reps.

Great setup mate. Do share photos of your future frankens and projects.

Edgematic

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/08
Almost all the parts I need! Hands set on the way, then the movement is the only thing left.

All gen parts:
ZzGFt8.jpg

Screws on the left are aftermarket:
ZzGfeR.jpg

Looking forward to the end result! It's been 5-6 years, maybe more since I've built my previous frankens, so I'm quite excited.

peterchao

Renowned Member
Certified
19/3/16
Almost all the parts I need! Hands set on the way, then the movement is the only thing left.

All gen parts:
ZzGFt8.jpg

Screws on the left are aftermarket:
ZzGfeR.jpg

Looking forward to the end result! It's been 5-6 years, maybe more since I've built my previous frankens, so I'm quite excited.

Congrats! Classic safari is my all time favourite.

Have below projects coming soon, excited too !

2dfaaac627a2dace3c7753a31aadca0e.jpg

827522f5d77d79e5cec5e1194d6b4100.jpg

d4f024dc6a93bb2a5b7c664e784c215b.jpg

92a33e3ebc45e8624c8bd099802fefd5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
And there it is, the Vampire came out of the dark!

Just received yesterday, my 1rst franken ever, and I love it. Gen dial, Mikey's parts, case thinned, a LWO283 back in a proper working order, the overall watch feels just great, and looks even better.

Of course, some details are not gen specs, which was fully integrated from the beggining, and I plan a few adjustments on it, but I'm more than happy. Makes me feel like building another one ;)

I have to thank slaughterer62 for his dedication and his great work, cheers.
d54f17c25e3ab65b85c0d648c28cf0e6.jpg
215901f733c195d39f4fe212b9874b84.jpg
8b758289e5fb0a98f9d401400f41144d.jpg
fb642abbfc1d4f6abaaa185a6b8273a7.jpg

Tompa

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden

Just received yesterday, my 1rst franken ever, and I love it. Gen dial, Mikey's parts, case thinned, a LWO283 back in a proper working order, the overall watch feels just great, and looks even better.

Of course, some details are not gen specs, which was fully integrated from the beggining, and I plan a few adjustments on it, but I'm more than happy. Makes me feel like building another one ;)

d54f17c25e3ab65b85c0d648c28cf0e6.jpg
215901f733c195d39f4fe212b9874b84.jpg
8b758289e5fb0a98f9d401400f41144d.jpg
fb642abbfc1d4f6abaaa185a6b8273a7.jpg

Verry nice!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Reactions: mrsullivan

Tompa

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
Thank you, your old Noob got a lifting ;-)

Yes and its amazing to see! Congrats buddy. You have now a watch you will be verry happy and proud of for many years. Amazing!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Reactions: mrsullivan

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19
Question to experts here: Do 15202 come with a movement retaining rubber gasket?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Congrats on this and more importantly congrats on achieving the correct mentality for building and wearing an AP franken. You’re right in implying that some parts won’t be like the gen but does it matter in real life on the wrist? I doubt it. The 26470 AP is designed as a watch to be admired on and off the wrist but the franken is designed to be enjoyed as it is on the wrist. I think slaughterer did a good job for this.

Frankens are relatively low cost, fun and very nice looking alternatives of the gen and possesses a lot of the visuals of the gen in real life for a small fraction of the price. That’s always the main draw of these builds and I like the way your watch turned out sir.

wkim8732

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
30/10/17
TW
Managed to find a gen 15450 dial on C24 for an okay price, and decided to swoop it up. It took me quite a long time to find the 15450 dial, but yeh I am happy that I got it. I also have a fantasy 15450 black ( I didn't do research before buying haha) and a gen white date disk lined up.

will come back when it's frankened up

Z3yG1c.jpg

Z3ySMX.jpg

Right away, I can tell that the space between the A P logo is much wider on the JF compared to the gen. The "AUTOMATIC" on the gen is a font or two size bigger. However, other than that JF dial is pretty nice imo!

Last edited:

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Congrats on this and more importantly congrats on achieving the correct mentality for building and wearing an AP franken. You’re right in implying that some parts won’t be like the gen but does it matter in real life on the wrist? I doubt it. The 26470 AP is designed as a watch to be admired on and off the wrist but the franken is designed to be enjoyed as it is on the wrist. I think slaughterer did a good job for this...

...That’s always the main draw of these builds and I like the way your watch turned out sir.

Thank you. I understand better now that frankening can lead one to an absolute 1:1 to gen built if he wants, but also to a custom whole new watch built.

In my specific case, the 1:1 copy was not the goal. But beyond the "getting close to gen" thing we all look for when going for franken, I realized that the input of gen parts and the engeneering involved to build the watches make frankening a whole specific, highly specialized, type of watchsmithing. And as such these franken have a value, technology and history on their own. Love it!

Last edited:
Reactions: legend and Garuda

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thank you. I understand better now that frankening can lead one to an absolute 1:1 to gen built if he wants, but also to a custom whole new watch built.

In my specific case, the 1:1 copy was not the goal. But beyond the "getting close to gen" thing we all look for when going for franken, I realized that the input of gen parts and the engeneering involved to build the watches make frankening a whole specific, highly specialized, type of watchsmithing. And as such these franken have a value, technology and history on their own. Love it!

Theoretically it IS possible to build a 1:1 watch like you mentioned. Gen everything 100%. But watch will still remain a genstein and not a gen with the proper provenance and pedigree. These don’t matter of course if one’s purpose is to wear a gen but like I mentioned a few times, gen ownership is a lot more than just possessing and wearing the watch. It’s an entire spectrum of experience. :)

Your journey has been nothing short of impressive and I do enjoy reading about it and seeing the result sir. Congrats once again on your newly minted franken.

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
... gen ownership is a lot more than just possessing and wearing the watch. It’s an entire spectrum of experience. :

True, I've been in gens for years and the whole thing is of course a major experience. I've never owned a gen AP but I guess it's even stronger with high houses like this.
I reduced the number of gen watches for the last 2 years, without being too sad about it actually (even though I still regret selling my Breguet type XXI...), as I discovered high end replicas. They're like pleasant toys, decent enough to be real valuable watches, customizable on request and fun to wear.

When it comes to frankening, and that's the feeling my 1rst AP franken gives me right now, it's a kind of watches on their own.
It's even sort of troubling, as they gather the best of both worlds somehow. They can kick gens out of your mind and make OOTB replicas feel dull.
Hell, frankening is the "ultimate watchsmithing" in the end.