• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What AP Franken(s) do you have in the works?!

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
I know it might be confusing seeing those photos as they record an intermediate stage of the project. But Tompa is correct: this particular build is an old-style RGRC with a RG bezel and a grey tachymeter. Normally the RGRC has a rubber-coated bezel, but, as we all know, that rubber coating ages and is easily damaged, so it was decided against. A genuine RGRC bezel was obtained, and sent to me, and then I removed all of the rubber from it, to reveal the genuine rose gold underneath. This bezel without the rubber is a little thinner than the normal gen bezel, and the recesses for the screws are a little shallower, so the bezel screws needed modification as well. FYI, it was a bit time-consuming to remove the rubber from that gen bezel as it adheres fiercely to the metal, and you want to minimize damage to the gold below it, to cut down on refinishing work. But AP held to their promise and I can attest they really put genuine rose gold below the rubber on the RGRC models. (BTW, I think I posted simultaneously with legend above.)
VOHBML.jpg

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I know it might be confusing seeing those photos as they record an intermediate stage of the project. But Tompa is correct: this particular build is an old-style RGRC with a RG bezel and a grey tachymeter. Normally the RGRC has a rubber-coated bezel, but, as we all know, that rubber coating ages and is easily damaged, so it was decided against. A genuine RGRC bezel was obtained, and sent to me, and then I removed all of the rubber from it, to reveal the genuine rose gold underneath. This bezel without the rubber is a little thinner than the normal gen bezel, and the recesses for the screws are a little shallower, so the bezel screws needed modification as well. FYI, it was a bit time-consuming to remove the rubber from that gen bezel as it adheres fiercely to the metal, and you want to minimize damage to the gold below it, to cut down on refinishing work. But AP held to their promise and I can attest they really put genuine rose gold below the rubber on the RGRC models. (BTW, I think I posted simultaneously with legend above.)

Thank you for clarifying S.
I think that this very cool looking model you are building looks a lot like the 26470OR which I own, except for the subdial colors, hands and dw color. I personally love the combination of the RG case and the grey dial, and creates an aesthetic fusion which spells luxury in bold letters when gazed upon.
I am looking forward to the completion of your build. I will consider whether the datewheel should be black instead of white to match the pushers and rest of the watch better but that is a personal preference.

Reactions: Allure

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
Hi all,

it's been a little quiet with projects lately.

Now there are some projects in progress.
The next Franken will be a very rare piece.

Released 2018 with a limited edition of 200 pieces.
Unfortunately not all details can be realized because there is no Replica of it.

When I saw the watch, I fell in love with the combination of colors immediately.
Who knows me, knows that I like grey very much......

Most of the pieces are on their way to me and I will keep you informed.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
I’ve got 1-2 builds in the works, but have finally found some time to work on my old daily beater white themes franken. This watch has passed through a few hands, originating as an early front load build from Domi made for tinitonsi, and then eventually to me through 1-2 other owners. It’s movement needed servicing when I received it, with an amplitude of 210 on a good day and a power reserve of 8-10 hours with normal wear. Also had its share of scars including the usual bezel and lug dings on the face and polished sides, and even on the mid-case.

Finally got it serviced by a great local watchmaker to the point of pumping out an amplitude of 320 without module and 302 with the module installed.

Servicing the movement was nice opportunity for me to refinish the case and add some mild upgrades when reinstalling the movement. Did some DIY refinishing using the same whetstone techniques I have described before, getting back some of the sharp edges after taking down the deep lug scratches and dings.

Took the opportunity to add some vintage-correct gen hands but acknowledged that you take whatever you can get in this department.

A key was adding a gen thickness 3.0 mm sapphire crystal which solved some tachy spacing issues even when using a 2.5 mm Diver crystal prior to this. No more visible gasket :), Not the most original build but a nice clean look that I always go back to, and more crisp and functional after these tune-ups. Frankens are always a work in progress...
5f6e96346bf2692231c5056640e8840d.plist

8ef806632f885e91b2c559c563120340.plist

a32f074fd5fe557789e991969a2af7da.plist

6f89af8a2702d2e123aa0222ab3a789b.plist

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hi all,

Unfortunately not all details can be realized because there is no Replica of it.

When I saw the watch, I fell in love with the combination of colors immediately.

OK I know who bought that QE Cup2 dial now. :hehehe:
I agree with you, AP makes the best blue and grey dials. Looking forward!

Tompa

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
Hi all,

Pride of Germany? :)

Skickat från min Sputnik satellit

Tompa

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
POG comes in 300+30 pieces.
To me it’s one of the nicest 44mm ROOs produced by AP no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahh okey.. so its not a POG then :/
Totaly agre on that my friend!

Skickat från min Sputnik satellit

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Last edited:

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
Update 2. Franken Project.

I will build a second RGRC with some updates and improvements.

The second RGRC will get a new dial and tachy, and a complete new set of Gen hands in Roségold.

Legend has kindly given me a correct case back with the correct serial number.
Thanks to Legend, I really appreciate your help!

In addition, a gold alloy will be applied in Switzerland and the weight will also be adjusted to Gen. I'll tell you right away, this makes the watch extremely expensive and probably the whole effort is not justified, but I'm a freak about AP's and I love the RGRC, even if I don't wear it enough.

Here are some Pictures.

0347f358723857dd11cc44fa796c6578.jpg

ce4965c9ad335b861bfe3c7d5cb307e5.jpg

a13731ffd29dd53d39783ffe9820a293.jpg

eaaeb9ef9ccd86a941cd178131b95f12.jpg

2e8245d798244eff90bcc115d38cf6bd.jpg

Last edited: