• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What AP Franken(s) do you have in the works?!

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
First I thought the Dial/Tachy was only build in the End of Days but then I saw a used Gen at Wempe in Frankfurt.

This Dial/Tachy combination was build a short time in the normal ROO Case with the Bracelet.

But with Bracelet it’s a heavy Watch.

The Dial/Tachy was new but laying around many years at a Watch Collector.

Here is the link to the End of Days Edition. The Case is different, specially the Strap adaptation:

https://www.google.de/amp/s/www.wat...to-the-end-of-days-limited-edition?format=amp

Here is my one it’s not limited but not many to find:

https://www.chrono24.com/de/audemar...t05--id11574454.htm?SETLANG=de_DE&SETCURR=EUR

I asked the AP Store in Frankfurt how many from this combination was build but he couldn’t give me an answer. He only said that he doesn’t see it often in the last years.
Maybe AP has too much Dials/Tachy from the End of Days and put it into the normal case. Lol

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Reactions: QueTip

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
Stunning dial and tachy— seamless transition effect, and perfectly timed build, entirely unique now that blue batons has been released. Way to push the envelope.
Did you use V1 or V2 Mikey hands? Just admiring the nice handstack, maybe it’s the way Domi has perfected the pinion-dial-handstack spacing.

Im not sure which Series is it from Mikey but Domi worked also the Pin/Space a little bit to optimize the Mikey Hands.

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
This is one of the few ROOs I like on a bracelet. Beautiful.
Yes no gen hands but that’s why it’s called a franken and not a gen. More importantly the stack on yours looks very nice and the finish is good in the pics.

Regarding the dial lume, this is a model which is about 20 years old and lume deterioration is inevitable and consistent with the production years of this model.

Another lovely project bro. Congrats and wear it well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you very much, I appreciate your statement!

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
First I thought the Dial/Tachy was only build in the End of Days but then I saw a used Gen at Wempe in Frankfurt.

This Dial/Tachy combination was build a short time in the normal ROO Case with the Bracelet.

But with Bracelet it’s a heavy Watch.

The Dial/Tachy was new but laying around many years at a Watch Collector.

Here is the link to the End of Days Edition. The Case is different, specially the Strap adaptation:

https://www.google.de/amp/s/www.wat...to-the-end-of-days-limited-edition?format=amp

Here is my one it’s not limited but not many to find:

https://www.chrono24.com/de/audemar...t05--id11574454.htm?SETLANG=de_DE&SETCURR=EUR

I asked the AP Store in Frankfurt how many from this combination was build but he couldn’t give me an answer. He only said that he doesn’t see it often in the last years.
Maybe AP has too much Dials/Tachy from the End of Days and put it into the normal case. Lol

What he said. Case/Plot layout is not fantasy. It was built like that for a short period.

Reactions: flying-tommy

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
Love the back and forth commentary about this very unique franken. When only a few AP WIS and the Wempe boutique can tell you the history of your build you know you’ve got something special. And I like the nice model specific touches, including the period correct date window.

Honestly I like it even more on the bracelet. It’s a beast of a different variety and even more special and substantial.

Revolper

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/7/18
I adopted this build in April from another user and it arrived in pretty bad shape.

The big chrono hand failed to reset, the minute hand slipped and like the hour hand was in pretty bad shape visually. The case looked pretty bad, too.

After sourcing a new chrono hand the watch found it’s way to domi to be further examined; Apart from the above there were even more issues, f.e. missing parts of the movement holder, the little chronos, the caseback... a mess!

Fortunately, domi and tommy had a meeting ahead and agreed to take care of the watch.

The case has been fully reworked including the caseback to make it waterproof again.
Apparently, working with titanium isn’t particular easy and thus had to be done in multiple steps.

i really wanted to keep the gen hands alive given they are nearly impossible to come by at this point. They have been delumed and repolished. The big chrono I provided was stripped down of the paint (the only one I found was meant to be for a Panda). tommy then plated those hands for a new shine. Relume/ repaint, done.

The little chrono hands have been replaced as well. The missing parts of the movement holder were provided by domi.

From my understanding this is one of the first ROO Frankens built by domi ever. I’m both happy and thankful how things went with it and I wouldn’t have been able to get it restored without the help of this very special sub forum.
A special shout out goes to slaughterer who wasn’t actively involved in this but was always super helpful and patiently provided knowledge were it was needed.

d204de9d5e653c225afe082047406141.jpg
58ae011518aa0216df37f4c9c4e1bf7c.jpg

Cheers

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
I adopted this build in April from another user and it arrived in pretty bad shape.

The big chrono hand failed to reset, the minute hand slipped and like the hour hand was in pretty bad shape visually. The case looked pretty bad, too.

After sourcing a new chrono hand the watch found it’s way to domi to be further examined; Apart from the above there were even more issues, f.e. missing parts of the movement holder, the little chronos, the caseback... a mess!

Fortunately, domi and tommy had a meeting ahead and agreed to take care of the watch.

The case has been fully reworked including the caseback to make it waterproof again.
Apparently, working with titanium isn’t particular easy and thus had to be done in multiple steps.

i really wanted to keep the gen hands alive given they are nearly impossible to come by at this point. They have been delumed and repolished. The big chrono I provided was stripped down of the paint (the only one I found was meant to be for a Panda). tommy then plated those hands for a new shine. Relume/ repaint, done.

The little chrono hands have been replaced as well. The missing parts of the movement holder were provided by domi.

From my understanding this is one of the first ROO Frankens built by domi ever. I’m both happy and thankful how things went with it and I wouldn’t have been able to get it restored without the help of this very special sub forum.
A special shout out goes to slaughterer who wasn’t actively involved in this but was always super helpful and patiently provided knowledge were it was needed.

Cheers

Definitely worth the effort at salvage and with the help of all the right people, esp. with the more rare titanium case and gray dial. Gen hour and minute hands are always worth saving these days and make a huge difference. What people did in the early days of AP ROO frankens is miles apart from the builds that Domi makes now. I’m glad that he has continued to refine his art, to say the least. Great looking result. Enjoy this beautiful watch.

Last edited:

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12

Cheers

It’s a really nice Franken now in an very good condition.
Love the Titanium Case.

Reactions: Jurgenk

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
i had the rep :{ fully modded and thinned to gen specs but still not a franken

Always preferred this to the current grey themes

jttou

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/14
Very nice watches here guys. I have not owned an AP Chrono but since I got some kind of rep-fatigue I thought I'd give it a shot.
Now with you Frankeners, do you think it makes sense to franken APs? OK thats such an empty question, let me rephrase: Rolex rep Frankeners get into expensive territory as well with gen parts and usually the movement is also rep. However with Rolex there are movement clones such as 4130 or 3135 and they are also closed case backs.
With AP Chronos even if you go the Franken route it will still have an A7750 only (usually) and open caseback, nothing you can do about that.
Since the base price for these JFs are already close to 700 bucks, even only modding will probably end up costing 1k or more. Add gen parts and you are looking at God knows how many thousands.
My question is whether it is actually worth it, of course this is subjective, but as far as I understood tachy ring is always an issue on these reps, DW as well etc something I would consider minor as well as case thinning which to me is also minor, however most of you guys do all this whilst still having the visible 7750 inside with rep quality rotor and deco etc.
I rambled quite a bit but hopefully you kinda get my point. Whether it is worth all these mods is subjective but does it make a valuable difference in modding and frankening when it will always be an easy tell when you turn the watch around. And if the back side will always be a super easy tell, why bother modding and frankening in the first place is my question.

I will for sure buy a few AP Chronos now, I am just not sure if the modding is worth all the money, wait and overall hassle given that it will always be easy to identify it as a Rep - and I am not talking about the risk of getting called out. I don't care for that and also so far I have never seen anyone that gave a shit about my watches whether rep or gen and I do have quite a few expensive ones.
But I first need to decide on a few APs as there are literally dozens of them.
​​​​​

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Very nice watches here guys. I have not owned an AP Chrono but since I got some kind of rep-fatigue I thought I'd give it a shot.
Now with you Frankeners, do you think it makes sense to franken APs? OK thats such an empty question, let me rephrase: Rolex rep Frankeners get into expensive territory as well with gen parts and usually the movement is also rep. However with Rolex there are movement clones such as 4130 or 3135 and they are also closed case backs.
With AP Chronos even if you go the Franken route it will still have an A7750 only (usually) and open caseback, nothing you can do about that.
Since the base price for these JFs are already close to 700 bucks, even only modding will probably end up costing 1k or more. Add gen parts and you are looking at God knows how many thousands.
My question is whether it is actually worth it, of course this is subjective, but as far as I understood tachy ring is always an issue on these reps, DW as well etc something I would consider minor as well as case thinning which to me is also minor, however most of you guys do all this whilst still having the visible 7750 inside with rep quality rotor and deco etc.
I rambled quite a bit but hopefully you kinda get my point. Whether it is worth all these mods is subjective but does it make a valuable difference in modding and frankening when it will always be an easy tell when you turn the watch around. And if the back side will always be a super easy tell, why bother modding and frankening in the first place is my question.

I will for sure buy a few AP Chronos now, I am just not sure if the modding is worth all the money, wait and overall hassle given that it will always be easy to identify it as a Rep - and I am not talking about the risk of getting called out. I don't care for that and also so far I have never seen anyone that gave a shit about my watches whether rep or gen and I do have quite a few expensive ones.
But I first need to decide on a few APs as there are literally dozens of them.
​​​​​

You're in the wrong thread.

Reactions: Tompa and Jurgenk

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
hushhush - I’d kindly suggest you going through the whole thread and then coming back and re-asking your question if need be. But if you want my quick take on your thoughts (not that you have to :), here’re a few points:
1. Some of us like the fine details of gen parts such as dials, hands, tachys, etc;
2. Not all AP frankens have open casebacks;
3. Some AP frankens have gen movements and most lwos (very very rarely AP frankens keep the stock 7750 movements);
4. Many of us build frankens for the fun of it;
5. Not many of us care about being called-out;
6. AP frankens have for the most part much more exciting design than their rollie counterparts;
7. Not all AP frankens are chrono.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

Tompa

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
I realy hope i will get my hands on a nice franken some day.. there are so many nice builds here. And you guys are crazy???? So nice work. Realy love this thread.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
hushhush - I’d kindly suggest you going through the whole thread and then coming back and re-asking your question if need be. But if you want my quick take on your thoughts (not that you have to :), here’re a few points:
1. Some of us like the fine details of gen parts such as dials, hands, tachys, etc;
3. Some AP frankens have gen movements and most lwos (very very rarely AP frankens keep the stock 7750 movements);
6. AP frankens have for the most part much more exciting design than their rollie counterparts;

8- No franken AP will run you about a grand.
hushhush got it mixed up with modded APs most likely. :p

Nice to see you again my friend

jttou

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/14

Hi Tosoboso,

I very friendly user reached out to me via PM and gave me a brief summary. Moral of the story for me: since I will be testing the AP brand out, I'll stick to the stock Divers and see what's what.

Thanks for your points as well. ;)

jttou

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/14
8- No franken AP will run you about a grand.
hushhush got it mixed up with modded APs most likely. :p

Nice to see you again my friend

No actually I mentioned that modding only will bring it to 1k or more and frankening God knows how many K's. But yeah, the AP modding and frankening game needs a hell a lot mor research. This coming from a Pam guy where you only need... well... straps.

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
No actually I mentioned that modding only will bring it to 1k or more and frankening God knows how many K's. But yeah, the AP modding and frankening game needs a hell a lot mor research. This coming from a Pam guy where you only need... well... straps.

Lol! Well, if you ever need anything, you've found your way to the AP sub already and you've also found your way to the thread that is regularly frequented by the most anal and OCD people on this board. Do I need to say any names? :lol:

Reactions: Jurgenk

farravi

Known Member
18/6/17
I’ve been away, since the hijacking of this forum but glad to see the forum is back to it’s former glory.

I am not in the market for it yet as my finances are tide up but working on it so i will be in the position soon enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk