• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What AP Franken(s) do you have in the works?!

Calibre16

31/1/12
I've lately been thinking about buying a JF V5 15400 and throwing a gen dial in it.

Are there any more "must haves" for a 15400?
Do gen hands make a big difference?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I've lately been thinking about buying a JF V5 15400 and throwing a gen dial in it.

Are there any more "must haves" for a 15400?
Do gen hands make a big difference?

It depends on who you ask. For many here, the stock rep is good enough, and I can understand their point of view in terms of absolute statistics of being "called out" in real life.

Dwell a little deeper and study the features of the gen and rep side by side, and you will see the subtle but existing differences between the two. They exist. It is however up to you if the differences are acceptable to your eyes, and whether you can live with them. For me, the gen hands and rep ones are night and day, but remember I am not you, and my standards apply only to watches I own. If you cannot see the differences, then it is a blessing in a way, as the rep hands are good enough for you.
Many here just put a gen dial into their rep 15400 and call it a franken but because of the see-through caseback design, a proper 15400 franken for me should also include the gen movement, datewheel and rotor.

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
For a 15400 (and for this alone !) to be honest the latest v5 is good enough and a gen dial IMHO is just a futile exercise. Different story if you build as per legend suggestion.

In my opinion.

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
One more thing.......

617ee5ed7271d78064fe192890406ecc.jpg

July, 05 , 2019

Lol. I always wanted to say that.

Note:

A Sister from an Ur-ROO and the brother was an famous ROO (Limited of 500 Pieces).

Was build only a very short time but not limited.
Only a few worldwide available with very good used market prices.

Let me dream a little bit.......

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Tompa

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
One more thing.......

617ee5ed7271d78064fe192890406ecc.jpg

July, 05 , 2019

Lol. I always wanted to say that.

Note:

A Sister from an Ur-ROO and the brother was an famous ROO (Limited of 500 Pieces).

Was build only a very short time but not limited.
Only a few worldwide available with very good used market prices.

Let me dream a little bit.......

I think i know what it is :D

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Reactions: flying-tommy

Tompa

Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
And its a crazy watch, realy realy beautiful

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
lovely watch. This has to be my favourite ROO dial ever..but the new case with plots wouldn't be period correct I guess

Lovely nonetheless

Tompa

Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
Totaly agre with my buddy, this dial is somthing extra. So beautiful. Its one of my favorites, dont understand how you get your hands on this uniqe piece. Verry good jobb buddy.

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
Stunning dial and tachy— seamless transition effect, and perfectly timed build, entirely unique now that blue batons has been released. Way to push the envelope.
Did you use V1 or V2 Mikey hands? Just admiring the nice handstack, maybe it’s the way Domi has perfected the pinion-dial-handstack spacing.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I started with the Words “no Gen Hands”.

Now I was earlier than my Friend Legend ;)

This is one of the few ROOs I like on a bracelet. Beautiful.
Yes no gen hands but that’s why it’s called a franken and not a gen. More importantly the stack on yours looks very nice and the finish is good in the pics.

Regarding the dial lume, this is a model which is about 20 years old and lume deterioration is inevitable and consistent with the production years of this model.

Another lovely project bro. Congrats and wear it well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk