• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What AP Franken(s) do you have in the works?!

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
Long time lurker on the forums, really admire the projects and dedication I've seen on here. I've been assembling parts for a 26470 build for the past several months. The dial came in yesterday, so next on the list is a tachy, donor watch & hands, and someone to mod and assemble it all. Open to any advice.

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
Long time lurker on the forums, really admire the projects and dedication I've seen on here. I've been assembling parts for a 26470 build for the past several months. The dial came in yesterday, so next on the list is a tachy, donor watch & hands, and someone to mod and assemble it all. Open to any advice.

Dial is a beauty..you'll end up with a fantasy model but I nice one

MrBeasy

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/2/16
Is that a Gen AP movement?

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
The dial came in yesterday, so next on the list is a tachy, donor watch & hands, and someone to mod and assemble it all. Open to any advice.

Very nice project. You have the most important parts, incl. a nice looking rotor :) Enjoy your journey. And so have a look at the trusted modders section

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07

The movement looks awesome— if you’re going for a gen look that would be a 44 mm case style rotor, otherwise it looks like you’re headed for a 42 mm, and I would think you should be able to use that rotor to swap for the appropriate 42 mm decorated gold rotor without cutouts. Can you show us the front of the movement and datewheel? The makings of an uber Franken with the right amount of luck...

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

That dial seems to be for a 42mm platinum model if I’m not wrong. Movement rotor is for a 44mm case as mentioned above. So I assume you’ll be building a 42mm franken based on the dial and I guess it’ll be a custom build but something which is imaginably very nice looking.

Advice will be more appropriate if you can clarify your build direction. Otherwise a lot of comments will come across as unhelpful and gratuitous.

Whatever it is I wish you good luck for this lovely project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure

jptrosch

Supporter
Certified
9/10/18
That dial seems to be for a 42mm platinum model if I’m not wrong. Movement rotor is for a 44mm case as mentioned above. So I assume you’ll be building a 42mm franken based on the dial and I guess it’ll be a custom build but something which is imaginably very nice looking.

Advice will be more appropriate if you can clarify your build direction. Otherwise a lot of comments will come across as unhelpful and gratuitous.

Whatever it is I wish you good luck for this lovely project.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. The plan is to build a 42mm fantasy franken based on the ROO platinum model. From what I've read, the platinum version is comically heavy with a metal strap and top-heavy with a leather one, so a steal case doesn't bother me too much. I'm a fan of the galvanized open rotor found on the 44mm models, so as of now I have no plans to swap it out for a gold, closed one.

Reactions: legend and Jurgenk

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
Thanks for the words of encouragement. The plan is to build a 42mm fantasy franken based on the ROO platinum model. From what I've read, the platinum version is comically heavy with a metal strap and top-heavy with a leather one, so a steal case doesn't bother me too much. I'm a fan of the galvanized open rotor found on the 44mm models, so as of now I have no plans to swap it out for a gold, closed one.

Nice plan, I like the confidence of knowing what you want... Many gen owners including legend pursue customization. Once finished you'd have no trouble explaining what you've built to anyone curious and they'll appreciate it for what it is. This will be a nice project, please share your progress as you go, and good luck with your parts hunt. These are works in progress so there's no shame in wearing it as you go about collecting your parts.

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15

So you opt for steel case ? I wonder if a titanium one was an apter choice given the color of the dial

Exciting build

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Thank you for the clarification.
Based on your build, which will resemble a customized gen, I think that basically you can build it to your preference for every detail and like you I’m not too much bothered by the rotor myself. You may wish to either use the steel case or opt for a rhodium or platinum plated one if you want that bit of extra subtle bling. In worst case you can still use the rep hands until gen ones can be found. In the contemporary ROO the rep hands are actually closer in appearance to the gen than the classic ROO hands. Not 100% of course but closer visually.

I am looking forward to your journey and build. Congrats in advance, I know that she will be a stunner when completed. :)

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
I will start a dedicated thread on this build once i have time. I really do not want to get into the details at the moment for some reason. For now just a tosoboso type teaser (bonus points from me if you know what is being built here):
VULjQA.md.jpg

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
I will start a dedicated thread on this build once i have time. I really do not want to get into the details at the moment for some reason. For now just a tosoboso type teaser (bonus points from me if you know what is being built here):
VULjQA.md.jpg

Wow. Love this 15500 build, should be a first :)

On a separate note, I now feel obliged to respond with a teaser of my own. Should think about that as I have a few projects in mind.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Wow. Love this 15500 build, should be a first :)

On a separate note, I now feel obliged to respond with a teaser of my own. Should think about that as I have a few projects in mind.

I think that’s a 14790 dial T. And a very lovely build in the making I’m sure! :)

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
He he, when do I get to say both (probably intentionally) wrong to these two highly experienced members with a thorough understanding of most all of the AP catalogue? Not a 15500, not a 14790, but a...

Reactions: legend and Jurgenk

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
He he, when do I get to say both (probably intentionally) wrong to these two highly experienced members with a thorough understanding of most all of the AP catalogue? Not a 15500, not a 14790, but a...

This bit of rarefied AP knowledge is what makes this place so cool

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12

It's a 5402 C Serise no?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

T’s answer was probably intentionally cheeky but i genuinely thought that yours was a 14790 set lol. And it’s a toss up between you and him and quetip as to who the walking AP bible is. Just reserve the unranked contender seat in the corner for me J. :D
I think that this specific build of yours interests me a lot personally if you’re saying it’s not a 14790. I am looking forward to see the completed build!

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
It's a 5402 C Serise no?

Correct! Bonus points to MasterWatch.

The reason I am building it:

I dislike the direction AP is going and I dislike the new Royal Oaks (esp. 15500).

Yes, tosoboso, who has known about this build the longest, was being cheeky, because he also knows that I dislike the 15500.

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Correct! Bonus points to MasterWatch.

The reason I am building it:

I dislike the direction AP is going and I dislike the new Royal Oaks (esp. 15500).

Yes, tosoboso, who has known about this build the longest, was being cheeky, because he also knows that I dislike the 15500.

Oh I know you secretly love the 15500 and therefore tagged you in the pics thread J lol