• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What AP Franken(s) do you have in the works?!

pob994

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
26/5/16
Video
Picture

90945.jpg

Last edited:

pob994

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
26/5/16
Thank you!
-Noob base (I think)
-Gen dial and tachy
-LWO 283
-Mickey classic datewheel and Mickey hands
-AR cyclop

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Two new Projects coming soon.

AP 42mm Safari with:

- Gen Dial and Tachy (brand new foiled from AP)
- Gen Hands Full Set
- Gen Cyclopes
- Gen Deployment Clasp
- Mikey Datewheel

AP 42mm RG Rubberclad with:

- Gen Dial and Tachy (brand new foiled from AP)
- Gen Hands Full Set (Hour and Minute Hands needs to Gold plated)
- Gen Cyclopes
- Mikey Datewheel
- all RG Parts (Case, Crown, Plots, H/M Hands) needs to gold plated after Domis Case work.

This Project will need much time. I got a last Rubberclad RG Watch from a TD. 6 TD‘s and PT don’t get the Watch, it’s out of Production.

Pictures coming in the next days.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Very nice! For me, AP frankens need gen hands minimally to qualify as a wearable frankens. The shape, shine and stack of the gen hands are something that has not been properly replicated as of now.
The mikey classic datewheel font still differs from the serifed H series gen considerably, so I hope you have chosen his modern font (i series and later), which is very good. Of course, nothing can be done about the date change-over, which is an instant switch on the gen, and still a roll of sorts on the ETA2892 base movement. The finesse of the movement was the main reason I stopped dabbling in frankens and switched completely to gen.
Nonetheless, the builds you listed will be good low-cost alternatives to their genuine counterparts and I think that on the wrist they will look very nice. I do look forward to seeing your completed builds. Good luck with the projects!

Reactions: Allure

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
The picture is when the watch was unfinished by Spongebob. I joined a video

I think the watch looks beautiful. Just a few comments, to help you improve it as and when you can:

1. The Ref 25770ST.0.0001IN.01, which your watch replicates, is based on the old style ROO case as superlory pointed out. The case you are using is thus inaccurate for the model. But personally I do like the modern case with this dial.
2. I think the date magnification is nicely done and accurate for an older ROO model.
3. The mikey hands look too flat even from the video. Will advise you to get a set of gen hands when you can. It may be something you can only KIV for now, but you need to understand the visual shortfall of your otherwise lovely watch.
4. Other than that, your project watch looks lovely, congrats!

Reactions: Allure

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
Very nice! For me, AP frankens need gen hands minimally to qualify as a wearable frankens. The shape, shine and stack of the gen hands are something that has not been properly replicated as of now.
The mikey classic datewheel font still differs from the serifed H series gen considerably, so I hope you have chosen his modern font (i series and later), which is very good. Of course, nothing can be done about the date change-over, which is an instant switch on the gen, and still a roll of sorts on the ETA2892 base movement. The finesse of the movement was the main reason I stopped dabbling in frankens and switched completely to gen.
Nonetheless, the builds you listed will be good low-cost alternatives to their genuine counterparts and I think that on the wrist they will look very nice. I do look forward to seeing your completed builds. Good luck with the projects!

Thanks Legend.

The biggest Problem is to catch Mikey Parts, it’s actually harder to get the Datewheel’s as the Gen Dial.
Any Recommendations for an Alternative Datewheel?

Low Cost , the new Dial and Tachy is around 1.900 € plus a Full Set of Gen Hands around 800 €, plus Domis work, Gold plating and other Parts ..... they will be my dearest Franken.

Gen Movement, I have an offer for two Movements but then the Franken will explode all Cost. Then it’s better to go Gen.

For me it’s Important that the Dial/Tachy is really new without any signs of use. New base Watches... I know a used set cost maybe the half.

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
"Any Recommendations for an Alternative Datewheel?"

heh..that slacker of legend had the best datewheel back then..

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Now that MIkey is retired, we need somebody to step up and manufacture gen-spec datewheels and gen-spec hands. Otherwise, these Franken ROO/RO builds will become increasingly costly, or, in the case of people not willing to pay the costs, inaccurate. It is a miracle that people are still undertaking them and finishing them at the high standards we see in the last few posts.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Nice stuff @flying-tommy... The grey dial is stunning in person, isn't it?

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
Nice stuff @flying-tommy... The grey dial is stunning in person, isn't it?

Thanks slaughterer, it is amazing. I love this grey color live. It’s not showing right in pictures.
I like it much more then the second generation from the RG Rubberclad it’s much darker.

Revolper

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/7/18
You guys are killing it, keep it up!