• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What AP Franken(s) do you have in the works?!

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
It is funny with the gen bezel: it was not perfectly machined, and I needed to work on the 2, 4 and 10 o clock screw taps to get those 3screws to fit. The other 5 fit fine. Maybe it is because we only get defective parts on our little grey market, or maybe AP is not perfect.
Also, with the gen Xtal: it is beautifully clear, but at 3.5mm thickness it adds alot of weight to the top half of the watch. You have to wonder if the thinner rep crystals are not an advantage in keeping the weight down on the upper 50%. Also, if you do not have that special little O-ring from AP to fit between the bezel and Xtal, you can forget about water resistance. Luckily, I even had that.

Reactions: Jurgenk

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Nobody likes AP Frankens anymore, so I keep the other, better projects secret. I do not want tosobosso to relapse or to torture Quetip anymore, LOL.

Reactions: blackboxes

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Nobody likes AP Frankens anymore, so I keep the other, better projects secret. I do not want tosobosso to relapse or to torture Quetip anymore, LOL.

Please keep on sharing these. A little drool is never wrong.

Reactions: blackboxes

rnewbie

Known Member
Patron
Certified
7/10/07
Added gen SS bezel and gen Xtal today.

JEzxRtF.jpg

That's hot!!!

hibee999

20/10/15
u
1.) Mill cut-out to 6.05mm diameter on a lathe
2.) Smooth out inner outline with microfiles under 10-20x loupe or microscope.
3.) Bead blast.
4,) Air brush either metallic silver or matte black depending on model.
5.) Install aligned with tapisserie.

Or send everything to somebody who has the time, skill and will to do it.

Thank you for the info

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Grey themes / titanium old style

Beautiful watch. I regret selling my franken. It's probably the one you have now. You'll need the cut for it. If you ever want to get rid of it, give me a ring.

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
many many thanks to mikey who plated the hands and supplied some crucial parts. Also many thanks to the person who procured the dial for me. You know who you are.

z6i8eub.jpg

jeezus effing christ

how can you get gen mh dial ???

hibee999

20/10/15
Beautiful watch. I regret selling my franken. It's probably the one you have now. You'll need the cut for it. If you ever want to get rid of it, give me a ring. 

Thank you it's one I've built myself (well more accurately ... collected the parts then sent to Domi). It's been a most interesting journey to try and source the parts, of course the more you learn the more flaws you start to see - the latest being the cut out ! I'll post some pics when it arrives

Sent from the RWI mobile app

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
For those using 20-30 year old LWO283 from an old donor watch, I really recommend a full service of both the 2892 base and the DD chrono module. The non-plated parts of the DD module have a reputation for rusting, and I have never seen one that was previously serviced no matter how old the watch, because it is a very difficult module to work on. Here is a client's 2892 at beginning of service: it was obviously serviced during its 20 year life, but badly with sewing machine oil and very dirty.

SRCvsgn.jpg

Here is the DD module partially broken down:
IBMLqLJ.jpg

Here are some of the DD module gears after ultrasonic cleaning:
​​​​​​â€
5mGFn6y.jpg

Here it is reassembled before installation of the final bridge:
NkrID3s.jpg

Here is the timegraph after service of both 2892 and DD module: most older LWO 283s will measure 220-255 amplitude before service, anything around 280 is very good, an amp above 300 is really excellent, IMO):
vVbd9eK.jpg