• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What AP Franken(s) do you have in the works?!

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
Hi everyone,

I've been thinking recently of creating a thread on member's stock of AP spares as to be able to help each other in our little projects - exchange ideas, share experiences (and sources), and probably even trade parts. Then I decided against it - it would be probably hard to keep this inventory up to date plus maybe such a thread would violate a few RWI rules...

So today I'd like to share with you another idea: why not post here AP franken project you're currently working on, or even things you're only considering or have just completed. This can then serve as a semi-resource knowledge base and may inspire other members to pursue their own projects and save them from unintended headaches.

Do let me know what your thoughts are - hope you'll take on board the idea and contribute to the thread. Well-known members and modders may also find it appealing to post here to share their progress on different custom projects, so let's see/

I'll be the first one to post something here. Below is a photo of a few AP parts that will likely result in 3 separate projects:
1. a 15703 diver;
2. a 15400 dress watch;
3. and an upgraded Bumble Bee (not included in the photo, but the idea is generally to replace the LWO movement with the stock 3126).

Now, as you'd notice I have 3 projects and only 2 movements, so I'd have to make concessions, which I'm not necessarily ready to make, not just yet. I too am missing hands for my 15400 project and a rotor for the BB project. But 2 out of 3 is not a bad success rate in this little hobby of ours, so I'll not complain.

Welcome to this new thread; hope you find it useful! Thanks for looking (and contributing) - as always

P.S. due to PB being down, the original photo is no longer available. I’m including a worthy, I think, replacement to serve as an inspiration in our franken journeys... welcome to this wonderful franken world...

View attachment 93521

Rabbagasten

I'm Pretty Popular
25/12/15
I love your dedication, and I really applaud the efforts.
On my own behalf, I must say that even though I would like to contribute, I probably won't. Many of us are "competing" for the same parts, and I have chosen to take on a rather obscure build because of this. I would not want others to get the same idea. Sorry. I am more than happy to share any resources that may help with others' builds tho'.

Sent from the RWI mobile app

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
what about using the Gen 3126 in a 15400? :O that would be awesome

Yes, that would be groundbreaking - I'm sure AP would be happy about my improving of their non-chrono ROs :)

@Rabbagasten - Sir, I too am never keen to, say, lose a BB dial to a fellow RWI member; but then again with time I discovered that we are sometimes better off cooperating on our projects as opposed to keeping things to ourselves. Without wanting to sound too Game Theory freakish, realities are that we all over-stock, i.e. buy more spares that we need atm - one way of finding those spares is constantly looking through the parts sales theeada, but then again sometimes we just hold onto spare we never use either because we have no time to sell or just because we like scavenging and keeping our trophies.

I guess many people would not be interested in this thread, but then again even if only a few members subscribed to the idea we may have an interesting read every now and then. Let's see (live a little, see a little, as the Russians say).

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
please use the sales section for trading parts.
but its a very good idea to share some experiences about franken builds here.

Reactions: joeyc

blackboxes

Advisor/Supporter
Advisor
31/5/15
Great idea you have there @tosoboso I've been less involved with AP franken building than before due to other interests, but I'm still waiting for a white themes to be completed and got another lone black themes dial, pending what to do with this... therein lies the overstocking problem hahaha.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
I was working on this Franken ... yesterday. (finished) :biggrin:

IMG_9953_zpszyg5vcwm.jpg

Today I am working on this Franken .... (not finished) :nailbiting:

IMG_0036_zpsiorpmhiu.jpg

Tomorrow I will be working on a fantasy Franken .... again. :notworthy:

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
I was working on this Franken ... yesterday. (finished) :biggrin:

IMG_9953_zpszyg5vcwm.jpg

Today I am working on this Franken .... (not finished) :nailbiting:

IMG_0036_zpsiorpmhiu.jpg

Tomorrow I will be working on a fantasy Franken .... again. :notworthy:

Sir, I'm torn between two things - not sure if I like your work bench more than your Franken builds or the other way around :) Great stuff, great stuff!! Wonder who's crazy enough to order fantasy frankens that cost more than a mid-tier Rolex :)

Thank you for the great input - as always!

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
He he, thanks T. My work area is covered with a new surface with every build. The black centimeter square is made of three layers of rubber and helps organize little parts visually as I am working. The lume pots are used over and over for storing groups of components. The plastic boxes are dust protection. I am using two watchmaker horizontal lamps on each side usually, two different types of Rodico. etc. You can even see the little wooden tools I make out of peg on the lower right. I am hyperaware of fragility and susceptibility to cosmetic and mechanical damage in reps.

harpen

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/8/10
Great idea! Currently building 1x 15202 and 3x 14790s. Thinking about 15400 and 15300 next b/c dials aren't as hard to find and the dials really make thoes watches (+doesnt need much case mods)

@slaughterer62 I find the gen 14790 dials to be a bit narrower in diameter which makes new case ring/bezel necessary. Was this also the case for you or did you find a way around this?

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Great idea! Currently building 1x 15202 and 3x 14790s. Thinking about 15400 and 15300 next b/c dials aren't as hard to find and the dials really make thoes watches (+doesnt need much case mods)

@slaughterer62 I find the gen 14790 dials to be a bit narrower in diameter which makes new case ring/bezel necessary. Was this also the case for you or did you find a way around this?

Thet is alot of 14790s! There is some variation in the 14790 dials, but I have only had to machine a new ring once, for a severely deteriorated dial. It is a finicky build, and the BP case does not help much.

amv8

Known Member
23/5/14
Chris is tweaking my panda and working on my fantasy build. Next project is to look for parts for a Ginza build with open back or rgrc build. prob impossible but worth a try lol

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
Chris is tweaking my panda and working on my fantasy build. Next project is to look for parts for a Ginza build with open back or rgrc build. prob impossible but worth a try lol

Are you able to source a Ginza dial?!? If true, I can only say Hmmmm... What movement do you intend to use for the open casebqck build? As things stand - it's not impossible to get a fairly priced AP cal, but it's a very different story with modern rotors - impossible to source. Keep us posted on how you intend to overcome this issue, thanks!

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15

Sir, did those hands fit your movements? Very exciting project, those 15202s go for some serious money in the aftermarket, a testament to their desirability!! Looking forward to your finish product.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Some perspective. Everybody complains about the unreliability of the Chinese sec@12 system, and all of the numerous gears it adds. Well, AP is not much better. Look at the number of gears that the small dials have to go through in the DD2020 module. Amplitude on the base movement drops at least 30 degrees when you have one of these strapped on it. The DD 2020 is like a bowling ball riding on a vinyl record player.
DD%202020_zpsphbuzc1i.jpg

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
Some perspective. Everybody complains about the unreliability of the Chinese sec@12 system, and all of the numerous gears it adds. Well, AP is not much better. Look at the number of gears that the small dials have to go through in the DD2020 module. Amplitude on the base movement drops at least 30 degrees when you have one of these strapped on it. The DD 2020 is like a bowling ball riding on a vinyl record player.
DD%202020_zpsphbuzc1i.jpg
I've been thinking of sourcing a DD2030 and working on a customised chrono diver - your post here Sir is not very encouraging on this little endeavour of mine. Phew, should I go back to drawing board!??