• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What AP Franken(s) do you have in the works?!

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
A couple of photos of my 15400 build before being shipped back to me from my watchmaker - all gen parts except for the midcase (which is modified ZF). I'll post better pics once I have it in-hand:
j17ZQ8.png
j17jfK.png

Sir, I commend your dedication to this hobby. Hats off.

Reactions: jptrosch

OffshoreNL

20/2/21
Europe
Another day, another Franken.

- new Gen Dial
- new Gen Tachy
- new Gen Hands (hour/minute)
- Mikey Cyclope
- Mikey Datewheel
- Gen Spec 1 x Ar Glass
- new Swiss M&D Movement
- new JF Base Watch
- thin JF Caseback
- polished Bezel Screws
- Domis Full Franken Work
- new Movement Holder

Untitled-2.png

Thanks Thommy and Domi ;)

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I think Garuda only meant well. For rare gems best practices are surely in place, me thinks...

It is a fact that a lot of royal oak dials have their feet cut to fit the the miyota movements. So by pointing this out specifically on a 15500 gen dial I posted, I think the intention was pretty obvious.

It’s my dial and I will do as I please, with or without superfluous comments or “advice” from anyone. If I want to fold it in half like a taco and bake it with chicken filling it’s my business. :legend:

Besides, why assume it will be placed on a miyota? It can also be mounted on a cal.4302 (which are incidentally found in two of my watches) with a gen black dw, to be worn for a change of dial color.

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
It is a fact that a lot of royal oak dials have their feet cut to fit the the miyota movements. So by pointing this out specifically on a 15500 gen dial I posted, I think the intention was pretty obvious.

It’s my dial and I will do as I please, with or without superfluous comments or “advice” from anyone. If I want to fold it in half like a taco and bake it with chicken filling it’s my business. :legend:

Besides, why assume it will be placed on a miyota? It can also be mounted on a cal.4302 (which are incidentally found in two of my watches) with a gen black dw, to be worn for a change of dial color.

I remember times when unsolicited advice was mostly appreciated. This forum was a place where people would actively seek and give advice. Nothing wrong with that. We all learn and share knowledge or used to at least.

On a separate note, I love the sunburst effect on that dial

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
I remember times when unsolicited advice was mostly appreciated. This forum was a place where people would actively seek and give advice. Nothing wrong with that. We all learn and share knowledge or used to at least.

+1 times have changed.

legend you got out the wrong side of bed today?

AlphaProt

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/3/19
New Zealand

unsolicited advice is still mostly appreciated IMHO.

But assumptions that the gen dial is to be fitted in a miyota movement and "hope the recipient has paid for a movement service and have 2 holes drilled into the movement where the dial feets sit" is just a superfluous comment IMHO.

For example, If you see a driver overspeeding on a highway and cutting everybody off, you go think "HA, what an asshole. Hope he gets a ticket" when in reality, he may be rushing to a hospital because his wife is going to give birth in his car.

People are subject to their own superfluous opinions/assumptions. That's not a worry. But when it gets posted publicly, it becomes a smelly fart that nobody wants to be a part of experiencing. That's just my two cents.

Reactions: Allure

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
But assumptions that the gen dial is to be fitted in a miyota movement and "hope the recipient has paid for a movement service and have 2 holes drilled into the movement where the dial feets sit" is just a superfluous comment IMHO.

you can count on your one hand how many gen dial have been installed into a gen movement over the years. the assumption is most dials are going into a miyota as this is a rep forum.

"If people are not open to comments, do not post." You can look back at Legends post history where he says that line over and over. If he is having a bad day, fine. Just don't go into one whenever his mood suits him. He doesn't own the section or forum.

AlphaProt

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/3/19
New Zealand
you can count on your one hand how many gen dial have been installed into a gen movement over the years. the assumption is most dials are going into a miyota as this is a rep forum.

Dude you're right. I do agree that your assumption is based on your previous knowledge of "what/how it has been done over the years".

But like you rightly pointed out. Time has changed. The possibility of fitting a gen dial into various movements is now possible! (we just recently has a clone movement for AP!) If your comment has included "is this going into a miyota?... follow by hope.... blah blah blah" that would have been perfectly fine IMHO.

The bottom line is you made a singular assumption based on insufficient information and it sounded superfluous.

Anyway, this would be my last post regarding this. I'd leave this space for the enjoyment of AP Franken projects details and photos.

Reactions: Allure

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
Dude you're right. I do agree that your assumption is based on your previous knowledge of "what/how it has been done over the years".

But like you rightly pointed out. Time has changed. The possibility of fitting a gen dial into various movements is now possible! (we just recently has a clone movement for AP!) If your comment has included "is this going into a miyota?... follow by hope.... blah blah blah" that would have been perfectly fine IMHO.

Anyway, this would be my last post regarding this. I'd leave this space for the enjoyment of AP Franken projects details and photos.

my initial comment was about preserving the gen dials value by not removing the feet. there's a few 15400 frankens out there with dial feet removed and those owners may feel a little disappointed now that there's a clone movement.

agree with you. let's get back to talk about watches :qtip2:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
my initial comment was about preserving the gen dials value by not removing the feet. there's a few 15400 frankens out there with dial feet removed and those owners may feel a little disappointed now that there's a clone movement.

agree with you. let's get back to talk about watches :qtip2:

It’s my dial, let me worry about burning that kind of money if it comes to that. It’s likely the kind of problem you never ever have to worry about, so I do not need your advice. Do you think I do not know about preserving values of the dial myself and will need you specifically pointing it out to me? True I don’t own the forum and section of course. But I own the dial, which is all that matters. I will do what I want to do with it, pardon me if I wasn’t exactly stricken with gratitude by your sagely advice.

Anyway the dial (and the datewheel which I have indented) will be likely mounted on my silver 15500 to change the dial color. It will also likely be sold later on when the novelty wears off. How I choose to deal with mounting it, is also my business, and a matter to be discussed with the next owner. If I ever need help you can be assured I’ll take your expertise into consideration. But till then it is my money and my dial to lose sleep over and it may come as a shock to you that I don’t really need you to teach me what to do.

We do enjoy the hobby at different levels, possess vastly different resources and have different spending propensities. That explains our different perspectives and the way we indulge in the game I get it. I said it before and I’ll say it again, how I choose to manage the dial is my own business entirely.

Flattered that you remember a quote I made, not the first time (i.e. rule #69 was hilarious too) but I think that there is enough playground for everyone without the need to pick on a picture of a gen part I shared. Note that I’ve never once asked you not to comment. You’re welcome to. I’m simply going to respond the way I deem fit that’s all and your follow up opinions are always welcome. Feel free to give whatever advice you feel the burning need to dispense. I’m just here to tell you I don’t need it, whatever it is, that’s all.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Gen silver 15500 dial. With feet staying intact as well for anyone concerned. :hehehe:

Disclaimer: I have received and replied PMs received on the black 15500 dial. It is not for sale. This silver dial is also not for sale. Like the black 15500 dial, this is for a private project, and pic posted in accordance with the title of the thread.

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12

- new Gen Dial
- new Gen Tachy
- Mikey Cyclope
- Mikey Datewheel
- Gen Spec 1 x Ar Glass
- new Swiss M&D Movement
- new JF Base Watch
- thin JF Caseback
- polished Bezel Screws
- Domis Full Franken Work
- new Movement Holder

Untitled-2.png

Thanks Thommy and Domi ;)

What do we have lurking in the foliage? :thumbsup: (with voice of the late Steve Irwin)

this piece is not going offshore anytime soon. Wear here well in the jungle :legend:

OffshoreNL

20/2/21
Europe
What do we have lurking in the foliage? :thumbsup: (with voice of the late Steve Irwin)

this piece is not going offshore anytime soon. Wear here well in the jungle :legend:

A few gens :)
And yes the piece is going offshore - into the Caribbean very soon :)

Prizon

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
Patron
Certified
10/11/21

- new Gen Dial
- new Gen Tachy
- Mikey Cyclope
- Mikey Datewheel