• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What AP Franken(s) do you have in the works?!

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
Well said and +1. Frankens will never be gen, and in fact, not matter how well made, they are watches in a totally different league. Details make all the difference, and even if the dial and hands are gen, the watch somehow will lack the poise and look of a gen for me. I wish to qualify my comment to say that this is significant only in the context of the forum and for discussions among fellow enthusiasts.

Having said that, AP frankens are beautiful watches to own and wear for real life purposes. You can scrutinize a franken close up in real life and spot flaws, definitely, but just how practical is that approach in real life? Same for gens, especially used ones.. if one takes them to scrutinize them up close, one can sometimes spot minor dial/tachy misalignments, print flaws, date misalignments etc. Overpriced mechanical wonders built for luxurious indulgence no doubt, but physical objects assembled by hand all the same, and prone to flaws and errors like everything else. So what we choose to wear, is a decision we make after all considerations of cost, tolerance of one flaw or another, and most importantly, how we reconcile ourselves with what we are wearing. A franken AP isn't an AP, but possesses the likeness of one. For some, that is enough for him to please himself, and for others, they need the feeling of true luxury. It all boils down to the individual choice, there is no right and wrong. Frankens are lovely visually as novelty timepieces and like you mentioned, they serve adequately in that department. If it makes you happy, it is a good build.

flying-tommy you build the nicest frankens in the hobby and I always mean it when I tell you that your watches look GOOD. For me, I am after a different ownership feel and experience and that is the reason I will not wear frankens or non-gen APs anymore, after doing so for a few years. Visually frankens can resemble gens, but the ownership experience for gens and reps are heaven and earth. If one is only after a nice watch to wear, frankens serve sufficiently. If one needs to be esconced in a luxurious ownership experience, no reps will serve. They are two different worlds, connected perhaps by the semblance of nice looking watches on the wrist. Gens have no place in the rep hobby except perhaps serving as eye-candy and references for the reps, and frankens are the epitome of the rep watch hobby, I readily concede. So what tommy is doing here, is exemplary for all rep AP owners as the pinnacle of the hobby. I think that guys can take a page out of your builds.

Thank you for being an inspiration to all.

Thank you Alvin and described wonderfully.

With a Franken you will never be able to create the feeling of buying and wearing a Gen AP.

for me it is a feeling of satisfaction with the course of a beautiful project and the story of how this watch was created.
but no feeling to own an AP now.

and you are 100% right, there are very different processes and feelings that you have.
In December I will pick up my first new AP and I am already looking forward to this experience like a small child, it is something completely different than looking forward to a future Franken project, but it is also much more expensive. lol

Thanks again for your description.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Reactions: dj_doshi

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thank you Alvin and described wonderfully.

With a Franken you will never be able to create the feeling of buying and wearing a Gen AP.

for me it is a feeling of satisfaction with the course of a beautiful project and the story of how this watch was created.
but no feeling to own an AP now.

and you are 100% right, there are very different processes and feelings that you have.
In December I will pick up my first new AP and I am already looking forward to this experience like a small child, it is something completely different than looking forward to a future Franken project, but it is also much more expensive. lol

Thanks again for your description.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

The most significant difference between owning a gen and a rep AP, is not in the watch per se (though numerous differences exist), but a rather intangible, yet pervasive sense of satisfaction which will constantly envelop you even without the watch on the wrist. You will understand it when you become a gen AP owner and I will encourage you to do so, and share your thoughts thereafter. You will understand what it is about, and that I am right about what I say.

Looking forward to having you in the club T. You will be enlightened about what it is about and understand intuitively. Its something no words can substitute.

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19

Just waiting on a stem extender and will continue the height adjustment on the movement holder. The hole for the stem aligns with the tube so basically a complicated puzzle piece now with the three pieces — movement, case, and bezel. The case has a 28.9mm crystal installed as opposed to the genuine glass which has a stepped design to it and isn’t perfectly flat.

Also I have some questions. Ddoes anyone have experience setting a AP 2121 movement? Setting the time gives some resistance on the movement but otherwise works well. Wondering if something is loose in the movement that would account for the very slight clicking when adjusting the time.

jvevermind

6/3/17

Just waiting on a stem extender and will continue the height adjustment on the movement holder. The hole for the stem aligns with the tube so basically a complicated puzzle piece now with the three pieces — movement, case, and bezel. The case has a 28.9mm crystal installed as opposed to the genuine glass which has a stepped design to it and isn’t perfectly flat.

Also I have some questions. Ddoes anyone have experience setting a AP 2121 movement? Setting the time gives some resistance on the movement but otherwise works well. Wondering if something is loose in the movement that would account for the very slight clicking when adjusting the time.
Ive never experienced the ticking sound when setting time on 2121 so definitely give the movement a check. Otherwise congrats on the gen movement. It seems to be in pretty much perfect condition

Gửi từ SM-G960F của tôi bằng cách sử dụng Tapatalk

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19
Thanks! The movement itself is gorgeous and I can't stop staring at it. The time-setting issue might be due to the stem missing the very small tip. Don't want to know how the tip of the stem became damaged... but that hopefully a new stem with the solves the issue.

kuwils

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/7/19
Figured I’d share a little about this special project.
14790 franken in the works by the best, slaughterer62

872a0b274b773b3aaf38b6530875fa95.jpg

Haven’t seen any 14790 builds using a gen movement, so it is uncharted but exciting territory
:)

Last edited:

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19
So my 15202 franken project is coming along. No more roadblocks. The movement holder is completed. Without the gen rubber gasket or bezel, I had to use what I had. This meant cutting out the movement ring from the base watch. Case clamps and new stem are ordered. Should be a nice Christmas present to myself. Maybe I'll treat myself to a skeletonized rotor too :)

TYL88

I'm Pretty Popular
26/7/17
​​​​Havent been posting for a while and been out of the game due the the lost of my franken bee in the shipping since February. And look what came in my mail after 10 months. And man, i was so excited when i saw slaughterer62 name on the box.

As for the watch, the build quality is amazing. Thanks JS!
Specs are:
- JF v2 bee
- gen dial
- gen xtal
- mikey hands
- edge v1 DW
- LWO 283 serviced
- DW matte cut out
- diver caseback DLC
​​​​​​- case work by JS

Its my first AP franken built from scratch and im loving it. Thanks again to JS for all the updates on the build and very detailed explanation on all the aspects of the watch. I cant stop looking at my wrist now xD.

Pics:

​​​​

pm-guy

Supporter
Certified
10/5/14
Congrats!

Whoa... transit in the mail for almost 10 months!
You have great patience :thumbup:

TYL88

I'm Pretty Popular
26/7/17
pm-guy me and JS, tried contacting DHL too, but there isnt any news from them. Even the tracking doesnt work anymore. Already thought itnwas lost lol.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
​​​​Havent been posting for a while and been out of the game due the the lost of my franken bee in the shipping since February. And look what came in my mail after 10 months. And man, i was so excited when i saw slaughterer62 name on the box.

As for the watch, the build quality is amazing. Thanks JS!
Specs are:
- JF v2 bee
- gen dial
- gen xtal
- mikey hands
- edge v1 DW
- LWO 283 serviced
- DW matte cut out
- diver caseback DLC
​​​​​​- case work by JS

Its my first AP franken built from scratch and im loving it. Thanks again to JS for all the updates on the build and very detailed explanation on all the aspects of the watch. I cant stop looking at my wrist now xD.

​​​​

Congrats and very glad you managed to get this shipped successful to you after the long wait! Agree with you that it’s a beautiful watch, and you may wish to get gen hands to complete the look. It’s the only obvious “tell” for your beauty when viewed on the wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure

TYL88

I'm Pretty Popular
26/7/17
Yes, totally agree. Gen hands will make this watch pop up more.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Yes, totally agree. Gen hands will make this watch pop up more.

You’ve spent so much money and time on the project already sir, that was the only reason why I suggested the remaining visual mod I see to finish it off perfectly. Yours is not a basic franken but one which is potentially a top tiered one when fully done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure and Anonray

Tomeng01

29/1/13
CONUS
TYL88 bro! Congrats!!

I’m sure you already considered it gone forever, which is awful to lose the project and the money.

And then she shows up out of nowhere?!? Amazing! I’m so glad it arrived. She is beautiful. Great build. You might even enjoy it more now that she was almost lost forever.

TYL88

I'm Pretty Popular
26/7/17
Tomeng01 yes, i gave up about 4months ago. I googled that other people do experience it too. But it took 6months lol. And yes was so happy when i see the mail. Ran back to my room to unbox it. Perfect surprise just before xmas LOL

Reactions: Tomeng01