• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What AP Franken(s) do you have in the works?!

asanibal

Renowned Member
19/10/08
0db4ade0776e757b8e337f3e150081cf.jpg

This is my 15202 Gen dial but don’t want to damage it
Also have the 15300 blue for franken but same, if It is mandatory to cut the feet I will keep it to be used in case I can find a good price of a Gen 15300 in any other color.
Is crazy how those have raised in price.

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Yeah, I know bro.

But when doing a "genstein" 100% has to be gen.
I don't want to comprimise with anything. But a gen movement is I-M-P-O-S-S-I-B-E to find, really.

If you’re patient you’ll eventually be able to buy one don’t worry. Just to let you know, I’ve fitted a few gen movements on other frankens and you need to be careful about the completeness of movement (especially cyclop, Datewheel, cyclop and rotor) and also the health of the movement itself. But at least you’ll have the gen movement as the base to work on.

You know very well that this project is about patience and more patience. A genstein still isn’t gen, it lacks the proper provenance and pedigree and papers but it can definitely be worn like a gen on the wrist. So I’ll happy to see your watch come to life one day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure and QueTip

LuoIsBoss

I'm Pretty Popular
6/6/17
Scandinavia
If you’re patient you’ll eventually be able to buy one don’t worry. Just to let you know, I’ve fitted a few gen movements on other frankens and you need to be careful about the completeness of movement (especially cyclop, Datewheel, cyclop and rotor) and also the health of the movement itself. But at least you’ll have the gen movement as the base to work on.

You know very well that this project is about patience and more patience. A genstein still isn’t gen, it lacks the proper provenance and pedigree and papers but it can definitely be worn like a gen on the wrist. So I’ll happy to see your watch come to life one day!

The key is: patience. But also building the genstein and get AP to service it for service-papers

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
The key is: patience. But also building the genstein and get AP to service it for service-papers

I don’t know about getting AP to service it. It is afterall not a gen even if it’s a watch put together with gen parts. I don’t have experience in such matters but you need to exercise caution if you’re thinking about misrepresenting it as something it’s not. Maybe QueTip has more knowledge on the matter because I do not, so I can only wish you all the best in your build.

Last edited:
Reactions: Allure and QueTip

LuoIsBoss

I'm Pretty Popular
6/6/17
Scandinavia
I don’t know about getting AP to service it. It is afterall not a gen even if it’s a watch put together with gen parts. I don’t have experience in such matters but you need to exercise caution if you’re thinking about misrepresenting it as something it’s not. Maybe QueTip has more knowledge on the matter because I do not, so I can only wish you all the best in your build.

But bro. A genstein is also a gen imho.

Thanks bro! Going all-in with it

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

No I can assure you that it’s not. It can be worn as a gen on the wrist but you really need to start thinking carefully making such a statement. Just enjoy your watch for what it is but the only gens are those purchased from AP as an entire watch, assembled at Le Brassus, and delivered with box and papers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Allure

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
But also building the genstein and get AP to service it for service-papers
So what 'key' is that to the whole build? Trying to make it something it is not, pretending that it's a genuine AP whilst it was just assembled from parts in some watchmakers den instead of in Le Brassus?
The type of attitude and knowledge you're showing it's obvious what your intentions are. You do realise that 3126 movements have a serial just as your case does, yeah? Have you checked if your case even matches up with the watch you're trying to build?

This is not what this hobby / passion is about. Not at all and you seem to have mistaken that completely.

Oh and btw- AP is always reserving themselves the right to refuse service or any work to be performed without any explanation needed and they will not take an attempted deception or even fraud lightly, nor will that put you in their 'good boy book', that I can guarantee you.

Reactions: Tompa and legend

Tompa

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden

Buddy i must ask. Why dont you just buy second hand AP? Probably the same amount of money? That franken/genstein of yours is not cheap.. and if you want to source a gen movment its probably same price as a second hand old black theme or somthing simular. But Love your work and effort. Its gona be a realy nice build.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

LuoIsBoss

I'm Pretty Popular
6/6/17
Scandinavia
Alright guys, I see what you mean, really.

Just want to do a build, that looks gen on the wrist it-self. Didn't want to play stupid. Sorry guys :(

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
AP would rather work around a complete gen case (that includes the caseback), meaning they might even provide the missing calibre if your case serial actually corresponds to the reference you’re looking to build. That part however looks unlikely, unless you got very very lucky. So even if you get a gen movement, AP
are not simply going to service the lot and issue you papers. Hence, you’re better off buying a second hand gen if you were after the papers, or simply enjoy the building process if you’re into this hobby for the right reasons. Many longstanding members and newbies alike can afford the actual gen watches, they simply prefer the collection/building process to visiting an AD. legend is probably an exception here, as he likes to build watches for other members but prefers the cleanliness and pedigree of the AP factory. QueTip is in his own exclusive league as he probably part owns AP.

So in all truth, for most this game is really about creative motives and hand-on approach preferences, and not papers and gen-like pass-ability. Which kind of a hobbyist you want to be is up to you. But be careful to not build something that you will then go on and sale online as gen as you will be spotted and reported on the day by half the community here :)

LuoIsBoss

I'm Pretty Popular
6/6/17
Scandinavia
AP would rather work around a complete gen case (that includes the caseback), meaning they might even provide the missing calibre if your case serial actually corresponds to the reference you’re looking to build. That part however looks unlikely, unless you got very very lucky. So even if you get a gen movement, AP
are not simply going to service the lot and issue you papers. Hence, you’re better off buying a second hand gen if you were after the papers, or simply enjoy the building process if you’re into this hobby for the right reasons. Many longstanding members and newbies alike can afford the actual gen watches, they simply prefer the collection/building process to visiting an AD. legend is probably an exception here, as he likes to build watches for other members but prefers the cleanliness and pedigree of the AP factory. QueTip is in his own exclusive league as he probably part owns AP.

So in all truth, for most this game is really about creative motives and hand-on approach preferences, and not papers and gen-like pass-ability. Which kind of a hobbyist you want to be is up to you. But be careful to not build something that you will then go on and sale online as gen as you will be spotted and reported on the day by half the community here :)

Spot on and selling it as gen is not my intention at all.

For the price of my build, I would be better off buying a used gen, correct.

I've done a lot of superfrankens in the past, but I have always dreamt to build a genstein from parts I source individually.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Spot on and selling it as gen is not my intention at all.

For the price of my build, I would be better off buying a used gen, correct.

I've done a lot of superfrankens in the past, but I have always dreamt to build a genstein from parts I source individually.

If so, why do you need AP service papers for? It was not wise to make a statement like that, and rather disrespectful toward the brand, to test them that way. It will also bring unneeded attention to the hobby, and if your case is caught and alerted, it may cause a further tightening of parts policy, leading to further restriction of parts availability in new parts among the community.
The AP movement is engraved with a serial number. And you can bet the serial number is matched to the case series and serial. I respect your ability to do the build, but don't spoil the game for the rest by testing the AP service system just to satisfy yourself. Of course I get it that you will just say that you bought it like that without box and papers, but do be more considerate toward the rest who want to do the same you did.

Like what others say, the price of your build is already equal to, if not exceeding a used gen cost.
If you want box and papers to go along, then it is far more prudent to just buy a used gen. Otherwise, be satisfied with a watch which passes for gen on the wrist. It is NOT a gen like you mentioned, I reiterate, but good enough to pass off as one surely. That is the epitome of the replica watch hobby sir, but keep it in the rep world and not try to pass it off as anything else.

LuminorReptar

RepTime BST Mod
27/3/17
Beyond the Pines.
Oh! Yes the feet (I expreses myself very bad )
It is a pitty to damage the Gen, I have one but don’t want to “touch” the Gen dial, I thought I had read somewhere that can be done drilling the rep movement instead of clipping the feet.

Yeah I 100% agree it's a pity... I will discuss with Spongebob if its possible to drill the movement but I have not heard of such a mod.

Will be sure to do some more HW before resorting to clipping the feet

Hope to be able to share completed build photos soon!

Reactions: asanibal

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Has anyone got their hands on a 15500 gen dial yet?

Its way too early for this, and AP has been tightening up on their parts policy in the recent years.
It is just a matter of time, however before 15500 dials become available, one way or another, no matter how stringent the control is.
Expect less 15500 dials than 15400 ones though, as the tightened parts control mechanisms come into play. AP IS aware of frankens, and is doing what they can to prevent such builds from materializing (and especially to be misrepresented and sold as gens without papers or with service papers).

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Summer time has passed, the frankening did its deed and the watchsmith his magic. Now the "Vampire" can get out of the dark.

My ROO 26470 is finished and I should get it in the next few days, hell I'm excited!
f967dd3e3cf22c2d762a3cef690bc98b.jpg

Envoyé de mon ELE-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Summer time has passed, the frankening did its deed and the watchsmith his magic. Now the "Vampire" can get out of the dark.

My ROO 26470 is finished and I should get it in the next few days, hell I'm excited!

I like that pic! What are you doing for the caseback, may I ask? It is a classic problem all 26470 frankens have to solve.

jonnybaws

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/14

f967dd3e3cf22c2d762a3cef690bc98b.jpg

Tease!
Congrats, looking forward to seeing the end product!

Reactions: mrsullivan

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
I like that pic! What are you doing for the caseback, may I ask? It is a classic problem all 26470 frankens have to solve.

I chose the Vampire knowing it's an open CB, so I thought it through since the beginning (you actually helped me thinking about this, and drove me to choose the dial too, thanx again !). As such the watch come showing a good ol'LWO from Hamilton.

Still, there is always a chance that my eyes don't "take" this sight at some point, therefore I actually may get a spare closed CB just in case. I'm discussing this with my watch modder right now.

Either way, the non-gen spec does not bother me for this particular watch, as I don't consider it as an attempt to a 1:1 copy of the gen.

Last edited: