• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What AP Franken(s) do you have in the works?!

Hublot1704

I'm Pretty Popular
26/5/17
Very impressive, thanks. Gotta love that color-changing dial. And the plating loosk superb.

I was thinking of starting a Rose Gold Rubberclad franken project after my current 42mm Panda franken project which is with zocker4711 at the moment. But looking at how good flying-tommy's plating looks on that bezel, maybe I should switch gears and start thinking about a Gold Themes.

On the other hand, zocker4711 has had my Panda build for almost two years, and I'm still waiting on dmuit to answer his DMs regarding another White Themes project of mine from the summer, so I don't even know if I can start another build. But let's not get off-topic here.

That Gold Theme Franken of Hublot1704 is making me jealous, even though it has a couple of issues to be resolved.

Thank you very much man really appreciate that you all like it! Hope you can realize your Franken projects too and yeah I can highly recommend a gold themes :D

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
I can also say that the gen cyclops can have some reflections that are colored— I was lucky to find one for this build but I have no idea if it the shape or magnification are actually correct for this series, and I wouldn’t say that the results are astoundingly different than recycling recent JF cyclopses, save for the presence of 1xAR which does improve the readability. Left is franken, right is gen (different lighting conditions and different series)

f02b9e6b9fc70977b810444e98563cf1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Points well taken — I won’t ask others to take the chances that I have with the LWO283. My sample size is limited, but compared to an equal number of integrated ETA7753 movements it is surprisingly better— all of my gen ETA7753 frankens have died with the same kind of treatment which I would consider to be disappointing if they were powering a $9-10k gen. So in short I agree that playing with the LWO may be living dangerously, but this compound movement doesn’t seem as fragile as some touted integrated movements. And all of these movements (new ebauches in each case) run circles around the seconds at 12 A7750...

I think that in essence you have been very fortunate P, and I hope that your good fortune continues. I wouldn’t exactly call playing with an LWO chrono dangerous but one can eventually encounter issues with it especially with older or poorly serviced movements.
And yes I do agree with you that the ETA7750 and ETA7753 movements can exhibit sporadic issues with the chrono too, integrated as they are. In essence I tend to leave the chronos alone, even on my gen daytonas. They are largely decorative for me but I do get it that some owners like to let their chronos run and of these, many never encountered any issue at all, like you.
I was just saying that your experience is exceptional rather than typical, but entirely believable and beyond doubt. I just didn’t want you, a veteran member getting blamed by a guy with his first franken, if he tries the same thing you do and not getting the same crisp results you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure and Garuda

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I can also say that the gen cyclops can have some reflections that are colored— I was lucky to find one for this build but I have no idea if it the shape or magnification are actually correct for this series, and I wouldn’t say that the results are astoundingly different than recycling recent JF cyclopses, save for the presence of 1xAR which does improve the readability. Left is franken, right is gen (different lighting conditions and different series)

f02b9e6b9fc70977b810444e98563cf1.jpg

There are variations in the gen cyclops in terms of clarity and color and magnification from the E series roll the current K series.
The eventual magnification of the date depends on the cyclop, the date font size and the distance between the cyclop and datewheel. All 3 factors are different for the gen and LWO, but there is a specific batch of prof cyclops, when coupled with the modern font Mikey dw, which gives a very accurate magnification of the dw.
I do not know if it’s just me but the recent batch of prof cyclops I worked with made the classic font Mikey dw look too large and the cyclop/dw distance had to be adjusted slightly to compensate for it.
The combination you have in your RGRC looks perfect for a H series, sincerely speaking. I doubt anyone could call it out based on the cyclop/dw combination.

Reactions: Allure

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
That was the idea of flying-tommy so he is the genius :D :)

Looks pretty nice although it is not genlike :)

Gesendet von meinem COL-L29 mit Tapatalk
It is hard to build a “gen like” modern AP franken given the complete lack of parts but I like your effort and creativity.
It is a nice custom watch you created. May I ask what the thickness of the watch is please? The caseback still looks a tad thick compared with the gen profile.
Once again my heartfelt congratulations!

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
That was the idea of flying-tommy so he is the genius :D :)

Looks pretty nice although it is not genlike :)

Gesendet von meinem COL-L29 mit Tapatalk

Just to add on, you may want to get that tachy replaced with a gen one. It’ll improve the dw/tachy gap as the rep tachy angle is slightly different from the gen one.
The inaccurate hands geometry cannot be helped I suppose and that’s always one of my biggest gripes about AP franken building in general.

Hublot1704

I'm Pretty Popular
26/5/17
It is hard to build a “gen like” modern AP franken given the complete lack of parts but I like your effort and creativity.
It is a nice custom watch you created. May I ask what the thickness of the watch is please? The caseback still looks a tad thick compared with the gen profile.
Once again my heartfelt congratulations!

Good question, I don't have a tool to make an exact measurement :/ maybe I can do it on the weekend when I am home :)

Thank you very much legend!

Regarding the gen tachy for now I can live with it maybe I will fix that someday :)

Last edited:

ThePlayboy

Known Member
14/1/14
I just started a project, a 42mm AP ROO "2018 re-edition".

I‘ve got the following parts.

Gen dial and tachy
Tag Heuer LWO283 Movement
Gen bracelet
Mikey hands and date wheel

I can also get a gen bezel and pushers, but I don‘t if it‘s worth spending money on that. Also, should I do something with the crystal?

Domi will build the watch for me, as soon as I get the donor watch from Pure Time. My first Franken, I‘m very excited.

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12

I can also get a gen bezel and pushers, but I don‘t if it‘s worth spending money on that. Also, should I do something with the crystal?

Domi will build the watch for me, as soon as I get the donor watch from Pure Time. My first Franken, I‘m very excited.

JF crystal is good. not many fans for 2xAR on franken.
does the gen bracelet fit jf case or needs modding?

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Gen dial and tachy
Gen bracelet

Do you mean the 26237st beast? If so it’ll have the totally wrong datewheel. The beast has its own datewheel font.

flofas

3/10/13
Europe

Gen dial and tachy
Gen bracelet

What are you going to do about the caseback? The 26237st beast re-release by JF belongs to their new "V2" versions of ROO that have a very thick caseback with wrong dimensions that will look weird if it's thinned out. Are you going to grab a caseback from a different previous model and put on? This is what I did when my "V2" Rubberclad arrived. Even though I am used to non-thinned JF casebacks, the extra 2mm of thickness on the back immediately made the watch feel much more top heavy than I'm used to, and the first thing I did was I grabbed a thinned out old caseback from a panda and replaced it.

ThePlayboy

Known Member
14/1/14
What are you going to do about the caseback? The 26237st beast re-release by JF belongs to their new "V2" versions of ROO that have a very thick caseback with wrong dimensions that will look weird if it's thinned out. Are you going to grab a caseback from a different previous model and put on? This is what I did when my "V2" Rubberclad arrived. Even though I am used to non-thinned JF casebacks, the extra 2mm of thickness on the back immediately made the watch feel much more top heavy than I'm used to, and the first thing I did was I grabbed a thinned out old caseback from a panda and replaced it.

I don‘t know yet, I will talk to Domi and find a solution.

ThePlayboy

Known Member
14/1/14
Do you mean the 26237st beast? If so it’ll have the totally wrong datewheel. The beast has its own datewheel font.

I didn't‘t know that, I guess I have to find another date wheel then :-(

ThePlayboy

Known Member
14/1/14
JF crystal is good. not many fans for 2xAR on franken.
does the gen bracelet fit jf case or needs modding?

I don‘t know about the bracelet yet, but I'm sure Domi can find a solution if needed. He modded some gen link pieces for my RO Chrono bracelet to fit the rep bracelet, I needed to extend it a bit. He also mad me RO Chrono a few mm thinner, almost like the gen. WAY better than before. So I trust that he can help me with this as well.

Last edited:

ThePlayboy

Known Member
14/1/14
Does anyone know where I can get datewheel, hands and a new crystal that fits this watch?

flofas

3/10/13
Europe
Don't attack him like he's a helpless baby gazelle guys, he's just new to this stuff. We've all been were he is now, with more money than knowledge.