• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What AP Franken(s) do you have in the works?!

Hublot1704

I'm Pretty Popular
26/5/17
Please take as many pics as possible and from many angles and at different lighting. I believe a lot of people here would like to see flying-tommy's gold plating result and how great the overall watch will look with the color-changing dial.

I will directly when I get home after work today :)

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
okey thanks for that Info :D I just tried it once and as I don't use any chrono in my daily life this will probably be one of the last times :D but good to know so I will be careful, thanks ! :)

The ironical thing is, what the chrono does time is the lifespan you’ve taken away from the movement each time you activate it lol.
If you really need a chrono, use the stopwatch function on your phone sir. It’ll never crap out on you.
Chronos on modern watches are largely decorative and adding features to the dial. Nice to look at and cool to play with once in a while. Heck, even the time telling function of a watch can be totally replaced by most phones. So watches become accessories to amuse and please ourselves and are statements of luxuries these days.
As such, reps suffice nicely as visually wonderful timepieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
Look forward to your pics, especially interested in the open caseback view as i plan something like that.
do not worry on the date wheels and smaller details. you just make upgrades in the future when you find the parts. you unlikely meet anyone on this forum and 90% people never heard AP

Reactions: legend

Aurasash

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/7/19
Well said Jurgenk . All the parts can be had. It’s all about commitment.

I’ll have to further investigate the case back issue with domi. Thanks again for pointing this out guys. I was almost there... you know the feeling ;)

Awaiting the beast I bet? Haha

Last edited:

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
look so nice and you found the correct date wheel. well done!

sorry to say that cyclops is horrible. too much reflection. you are a trailblazer with the new dial build :drool:

Hublot1704

I'm Pretty Popular
26/5/17
look so nice and you found the correct date wheel. well done!

sorry to say that cyclops is horrible. too much reflection. you are a trailblazer with the new dial build :drool:

Thanks man! Yeah really happy about the datewheel :D

Hm it should be a prof cyclops, can you recommend a better one? :)

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
Really nice build, great plating by Tommy as always; Domi did a nice job with the rep hands. There may be some more robust solutions forthcoming.

I use my LWO283 chrono functions all the time, without apologies. The decreased lifespan of the LWO or sooner servicing doesn’t worry me. The slippage is an issue with broached rep chrono center and aftermarket chrono center hands. Gen chrono center hands have never slipped on the LWO283 pinion in my experience.

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
I should elaborate— painted aftermarket hands tend to do okay, because of the paint making for a tighter fit. Either way I don’t stress about this. I’m not flipping the chronos like a nervous habit, but I’m not afraid to time my pasta, salmon steaks, etc...

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
There may be some more robust solutions forthcoming.

does that involve smuggling gen hands out the AP factory?
unless you are able to produced gen like with the two facetes, save us from the repetitive post about aftermarket hands. legend will be on overtime :facepalm:

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Really nice build, great plating by Tommy as always; Domi did a nice job with the rep hands. There may be some more robust solutions forthcoming.

I use my LWO283 chrono functions all the time, without apologies. The decreased lifespan of the LWO or sooner servicing doesn’t worry me. The slippage is an issue with broached rep chrono center and aftermarket chrono center hands. Gen chrono center hands have never slipped on the LWO283 pinion in my experience.

Slippage of the hands is only one issue associated with the LWO 283 movement. The fact is that it is not a reliable chronograph movement, and even the AP caliber 3126/3840 (which uses gen hands naturally) exhibits design-related problems. So while your favorable experience with the chrono is well-noted, and entirely plausible, there are other issues which can occur other than visible hand slippage. For example, even the gen chrono gears are known to break, dislodge or drag and deplete the power reserve. I am speaking of the stacked chronograph movement design issue in general, having handled in excess of 100 of the AP 3126/LWO combined. I am not talking about owning 1 or 5 watches with the LWO movement. That certainly qualifies as owner experience, but I think that I have owned or handled enough a decent sample size to understand what I am talking about. These cases are also well documented on various forums.

So while I acknowledge your note that the hand slippage issue can be resolved by using gen hands, or painting the aftermarket or rep hands, or broaching it more precisely, the issues that are inherent within the stacked chrono movements are far more than hand slippage. You have to handle enough LWO 283 movements to understand or appreciate what I spoke about. Owning 1 or even 5-6 frankens and having zero issues with those validates your experience for those watches, but it does not change the design problem of the LWO283 in terms of chrono reliability. QueTip is another guy who understands this implicitly. You may be fortunate enough to have no issues with your chrono, but you need to be aware of other owners who did, and potentially will and not be inconsiderate posting your experience in such a manner to give them a false sense of complacency to do the same. It is like an A7750 sec@12 owner telling another one with a dead movement that his is running exceptionally well, so therefore, the A7750 sec@12 movement is a wonderful movement without issues.
We need to differentiate between sample sizes of our experiences, the design facts, and also sensitivity toward others.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
prof cyclops are so inconsistent. the very first batch for frankens were perfect. later batches some have magnification stupidly large. yours looks like no AR and the shape looks flat.
domi had some gen cyclops before. did you ask him?

legend can you confirm the gen cyclops is rounded and not a flat piece glass?

legends gen for comparison
https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...-guy-enter-the-ap-world?p=8152524#post8152524

Yes Garuda the current crop of gen cyclop is slightly curved and has reflectiveness around the edges. Also there are purple, blue and clear AR color variances.

Reactions: Allure and Jurgenk

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
legend i agree with you the chronograph should not be run to avoid the issues with slipping hands and gears, creating reset problems. However i believe your statements above mixes alot of facts with some fiction, namely the depletion of power reserve.
the power reserve on 2892/3126/3840 is controlled by the balance wheel and fork. the escapement wheel and train drives at a single speed, so a 40 hour power reserve is still 40 hours with or without chronograph running. running the chrono could create additional drag as you mentioned above, resulting in bad time keeping as amplitude drops and rises

Reactions: legend and Jurgenk

flofas

3/10/13
Europe
So I hope this works :) please tell me if this is not visable for you :)
https://imgur.com/a/HW8oV8v

Very impressive, thanks. Gotta love that color-changing dial. And the plating loosk superb.

I was thinking of starting a Rose Gold Rubberclad franken project after my current 42mm Panda franken project which is with zocker4711 at the moment. But looking at how good flying-tommy's plating looks on that bezel, maybe I should switch gears and start thinking about a Gold Themes.

On the other hand, zocker4711 has had my Panda build for almost two years, and I'm still waiting on dmuit to answer his DMs regarding another White Themes project of mine from the summer, so I don't even know if I can start another build. But let's not get off-topic here.

That Gold Theme Franken of Hublot1704 is making me jealous, even though it has a couple of issues to be resolved.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
legend has more than valid points with the movement issues. I wouldn’t sweat a gen cal let alone a LWO and abuse the Chrono. Ask me how I know. Countless of problems in the past with APSC because of shit happening and also countless of frankens that have spent more time with the postman than on my wrist..

Reactions: Jurgenk

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
Points well taken — I won’t ask others to take the chances that I have with the LWO283. My sample size is limited, but compared to an equal number of integrated ETA7753 movements it is surprisingly better— all of my gen ETA7753 frankens have died with the same kind of treatment which I would consider to be disappointing if they were powering a $9-10k gen. So in short I agree that playing with the LWO may be living dangerously, but this compound movement doesn’t seem as fragile as some touted integrated movements. And all of these movements (new ebauches in each case) run circles around the seconds at 12 A7750...

Reactions: legend