• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What AP Franken(s) do you have in the works?!

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
Some perspective. Everybody complains about the unreliability of the Chinese sec@12 system, and all of the numerous gears it adds. Well, AP is not much better. Look at the number of gears that the small dials have to go through in the DD2020 module. Amplitude on the base movement drops at least 30 degrees when you have one of these strapped on it. The DD 2020 is like a bowling ball riding on a vinyl record player.
DD%202020_zpsphbuzc1i.jpg

+1

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Great piece bro @Daytona1984 ! I'm loving it but you already know that hehe

Princewilliam

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/7/15
I am slowly getting a rubberclad together, it's been a slow process as I'm in Australia, my parts are in the UK and the only guys who can build these things that I know of are in CONUS or Germany! We need an AP man in Australia, preferably Sydney!

Parts I have -
Mint gen white themes dial
Mikey tachy
Mikey hands
Mikey back plate
Mikey classic ivory dw
LWO 283
JF rubberclad donor

Only thing missing I think is a tube for the donor case and possibly a crystal but I'm not sure, maybe I use the rep crystal?

Some dial pics

5d6214ade863ac8d7e0b518b0f7845f2.jpg
500fc46af29c8fea510d3610a82a6a93.jpg

Looking forward to finally getting it on the wrist, but for now -
b94a802f1a30ebe145139e3887b40fa5.jpg

Sent from the RWI mobile app

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Only thing missing I think is a tube for the donor case and possibly a crystal but I'm not sure, maybe I use the rep crystal?

Go with the JF crystal, it's closest to gen if you don't go gen. Prof 2xAR isn't close to gen thus not really needed unless you really want it. [emoji4]

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
It's the Tour Auto 2012 limited edition (150 pieces world wide) [emoji6]

Sir, it's great to see that dial set turned into a franken so quickly!! For a brief moment a month ago on a sunny Saturday morning I thought about this build and then a few weeks later it's already in the flesh - wear it well, such a rare find and more importantly such a great colour combo, Frenchman or not

Princewilliam

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/7/15
Go with the JF crystal, it's closest to gen if you don't go gen. Prof 2xAR isn't close to gen thus not really needed unless you really want it. [emoji4]

Thanks for the advice, another thing I haven't really considered is the cyclops, I was intending to use the JF, if it will fit the gen dial/LWO

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Thanks for the advice, another thing I haven't really considered is the cyclops, I was intending to use the JF, if it will fit the gen dial/LWO

Fits too. Doesn't look too shabby either with the Mikey dw. [emoji1360][emoji85]

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14

Princewilliam

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/7/15
+1 - wasn't there a thread comparing different types of cyclops? It was created either by legend or by slaughterer - check that out Sir @Princewilliam

Slaughterer it was! :)

I replied to you guys but I think the replies were deleted when the forum reset.

I'll check out the slaughterers thread on cyclops, thank you. I do have a mk3 cyclops but it does not fit the LWO movement without modification, I don't want to do that so I picked up a dw from Mikey and hoping to use that with the rep cyclops, maybe that will change who knows

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
I replied to you guys but I think the replies were deleted when the forum reset.

I'll check out the slaughterers thread on cyclops, thank you. I do have a mk3 cyclops but it does not fit the LWO movement without modification, I don't want to do that so I picked up a dw from Mikey and hoping to use that with the rep cyclops, maybe that will change who knows

I believe even gen cyclops have different magnification, differing from batch to batch - so as long as you're happy with the look of your watch that's what really matters; I can see that some people complain about Prof crystals distorting the fonts, but I love my Prof crystal; so no one universal truth to everyone. Just follow your own taste in your projects

achapgase

16/5/14
I'm looking for a Franken AP FC ! The best I can get now is the V6F VAC modded one (1375$) with a ETA powermatic 80. What parts could I source for it to make it even nicer ?
Edged date wheel doesn't seem period correct for the FC Diver. If anyone has a franken or nicely modded AP I'm interested to invest

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
I'm looking for a Franken AP FC ! The best I can get now is the V6F VAC modded one (1375$) with a ETA powermatic 80. What parts could I source for it to make it even nicer ?
Edged date wheel doesn't seem period correct for the FC Diver. If anyone has a franken or nicely modded AP I'm interested to invest

Not a franken just highly modded. Upgrade V4 noob fc with prof glass. ETA 2824 low beat. Datewheel. Lume.