• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP Tourbillon experiance?

Anakey

Known Member
25/8/15
After spending months reading the tons of info that RWI has to offer, so not to just rush in blind, I've finally selected a TD and I'm about to pull the trigger on an AP, but have a general question hopefully someone can share their first hand experience with.

What's your experience with reliability of AP reps with the Asian Seagull hand-winding tourbillon movement?

I've read over Gen Vs Rep threads for the AP Tourbillons, the review seems very positive, but just looking to see any first hand experience people have had with these AP reps - any issues you have run into, what to look out for etc.

Any general views on this movement specifically in the AP reps is welcome.

Thanks.

MADRED7

I'm Pretty Popular
5/5/11
Was in the same boat as you ... I do not have or had an AP Tourbillon rep ... but those people I know, told me to do my maths first:

- the Initial service, oiling and regulating of the movement (at the factory) is a gamble but not what it should be. The movement itself is fine but it is bearly oiled or regulated, win or loose
- this is a handwounded movement that will get "stressed" every day while winding ... so it should be very clean and oiled to take that "Forces"

I came to the conclusion to only buy it when my watchmaker can handle a good service; but he "will never lay a finger on that movement" ... so I quit the thought of a purchase.

Let´s see what others think.
Dr. Theo

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
I used to own the AP15400 tourby and it worked perfectly and kept perfect time.

I still own 2 x IWC touby's and 1 x VC tourby (the IWC is auto and the VC is manual) - both keep excellent time.

The tourby movements are very reliable from my personal experience and to be honest I havent heard of many other ppl complaining of their longevity at all.

I say go for it. They are quite beautiful for like 1/1000th of the price.

Reactions: Rollie4Life

peterpl

24/7/11
I used to own the AP15400 tourby and it worked perfectly and kept perfect time.

I still own 2 x IWC touby's and 1 x VC tourby (the IWC is auto and the VC is manual) - both keep excellent time.

The tourby movements are very reliable from my personal experience and to be honest I havent heard of many other ppl complaining of their longevity at all.

I say go for it. They are quite beautiful for like 1/1000th of the price.

triker

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/12
UK
@Anakey
Can I suggest contacting @dilodoli as he has one, a beauty at that, and will tell you all about them. He is a trustworthy and honest guy that will be more than willing to help I would think.

Regards,

triker.

dilodoli

I'm Pretty Popular
19/5/14
Thank you for the kind words mate :)

@Anakey
Can I suggest contacting @dilodoli as he has one, a beauty at that, and will tell you all about them. He is a trustworthy and honest guy that will be more than willing to help I would think.

Regards,

triker.

Hi mate,
AP tourbillion is something different IMO. Not in a bad way, but in a fantastic way.
reliability wise, i never have any problem so far. Good power reserve, good built quality (almost JF AP level)
what you need to consider if you buy it, is installing double AR crystal on it. and BOOM.. you got a million dollar watch on your wrist :D
Bracelet is smooth and never have a problem with it. 10:10 people who appreciate watches always gave a compliment to my RO.
But, i never dare to bring it to swimming or diving. So i can't give you my experience of bringing it to the water.
hope it helps mate.

After spending months reading the tons of info that RWI has to offer, so not to just rush in blind, I've finally selected a TD and I'm about to pull the trigger on an AP, but have a general question hopefully someone can share their first hand experience with.

What's your experience with reliability of AP reps with the Asian Seagull hand-winding tourbillon movement?

I've read over Gen Vs Rep threads for the AP Tourbillons, the review seems very positive, but just looking to see any first hand experience people have had with these AP reps - any issues you have run into, what to look out for etc.

Any general views on this movement specifically in the AP reps is welcome.

Thanks.

dilodoli

I'm Pretty Popular
19/5/14
09bd08162662816b802e12ea7f69cf1f.jpg

Factory crystal

573142c814265332a7a1d8d736e6c0fd.jpg

Prof double AR crystal

Sent from the RWI mobile app

Anakey

Known Member
25/8/15
Thanks for the info all, much appreciated and thanks @triker for pointing me in a good direction :)

@dilodoli - Thanks for the input, really appreciate the details, and the pics just reinforce my decision on this selection. It's a stunning timepiece.

That's the first i've seen/heard about doubling up on the AR, that's an interesting option. Do you have any advice on where you would find an AR for this AP (not sure if that's something the TD's can acquire as an extra?) and what sort of cost an AR crystal runs at?

Also, is there any modification required to fit a second crystal, or is it literally a case of opening up the case and placing a second AR in? - That may be silly question, but just want to be sure as I'm still learning a lot here :)

D

d4m.test

Hey @Anakey you're still new so don't worry about asking questions you think are silly. You have at least done some research which is what most noobs don't bother with and expect to be spoon fed. So you got off to a good start.

The double AR basically refers to the crystal having a coat of AR material to both sides. As stock, it has AR coating on only one side. The crystal in the watch can be removed and sent for double coating, but it's not worth the fuss and hassle. Just buy a new crystal from one of the guys that do 2xAR. If you do a search for it coupled with AP, you will get all the info you need on who can supply you and at what cost. There are a few people here that offer this and I don't want to speak for one more than another, but @rnrprof @guru and @dmuit are the ones that spring to mind. Depends on your location as to who would be your best served choice.

If you have a crystal press, you can do it yourself, just order a crystal from them and doen;t matter where / who as you should get no customs issue with a crystal. Otherwise, you may want to send it away for the replacement to be fitted for you, then you will need to chose based on your location. Or, buy one in, then get if fitted locally.

dilodoli

I'm Pretty Popular
19/5/14
Thanks for the info all, much appreciated and thanks @triker for pointing me in a good direction :)

@dilodoli - Thanks for the input, really appreciate the details, and the pics just reinforce my decision on this selection. It's a stunning timepiece.

That's the first i've seen/heard about doubling up on the AR, that's an interesting option. Do you have any advice on where you would find an AR for this AP (not sure if that's something the TD's can acquire as an extra?) and what sort of cost an AR crystal runs at?

Also, is there any modification required to fit a second crystal, or is it literally a case of opening up the case and placing a second AR in? - That may be silly question, but just want to be sure as I'm still learning a lot here :)

i think bkg! give enough explanation about what is double AR is.
APRO tourbillon accept any AR crystal for 15400. so, if you contact any of them (in my case, i contact @rnrptof), told them you need the crystal for 15400.
cheers

here is the slowmotion video. Enjoy !!
32611981476_47e5c5fae9_o.jpg

dadog13

Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
I can chime in regarding the reliability of the seagull tourbillon movement - I have it for the past 6 months and the movement runs perfectly, I wear the watch quiet often (Roger Dubuis Easy Diver) and it's a pleasure to see the tourby working..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thelittleprince

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
3/7/16
i think bkg! give enough explanation about what is double AR is.
APRO tourbillon accept any AR crystal for 15400. so, if you contact any of them (in my case, i contact @rnrptof), told them you need the crystal for 15400.
cheers

here is the slowmotion video. Enjoy !!
32611981476_47e5c5fae9_o.jpg

I bet theres a crazy awesome collection Ap behind that tourby buddy! Would love to see it if you dont mind sharing!!

Anakey

Known Member
25/8/15
Thanks @bkg! very useful to know, now I'm going to do some more reading into the AR. And thanks @dadog13 for the input, good to hear on the longevity.

@dilodoli that slomo is such a tease, thanks for posting! :) and I do have to echo the post above, would love to see some pics of your AP collection.

dilodoli

I'm Pretty Popular
19/5/14
i would love to take complete photo of all APs in my collection.
However, my APROO Bumblebee and APROO RGRC currently still with @aflop for modding.
Will take a big family picture when all of them back to the box.
Meanwhile, here are some of the old pictures of my collection.

27796637812_ecca7c5bc4_b.jpg

26260283311_0a1438991a_b.jpg

24882629803_66ed56c801_b.jpg

I bet theres a crazy awesome collection Ap behind that tourby buddy! Would love to see it if you dont mind sharing!!

Thanks @bkg! very useful to know, now I'm going to do some more reading into the AR. And thanks @dadog13 for the input, good to hear on the longevity.

@dilodoli that slomo is such a tease, thanks for posting! :) and I do have to echo the post above, would love to see some pics of your AP collection.

Anakey

Known Member
25/8/15
Very nice @dilodoli, and thanks both for the pics!

I've read up on the double AR, going to get an order in for my AP hopefully next week (as the CN holiday wraps up) once I actually have it in hand, then I'll follow up on the crystal upgrade.

The last thing I'm trying to decide on now with the tourbillon is to go for the solid bezel, as in the above picture, or the the paved diamond bezel, any personal opinions on those, oneway or the other?

fugaziwrist

Horology Curious
10/6/21
Just wanted to follow up. Did you ever get the AP Tourby? If so, did you add the Crystal AR yourself? Thanks!

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Just wanted to follow up. Did you ever get the AP Tourby? If so, did you add the Crystal AR yourself? Thanks!

If you have any knowledge of AP at all, you will know that adding a double AR crystal is one of the worst mods you can do to any AP rep (or gen for that matter), for both accuracy and pragmatic reasons.
Just don't, if you are considering it.

fugaziwrist

Horology Curious
10/6/21
If you have any knowledge of AP at all, you will know that adding a double AR crystal is one of the worst mods you can do to any AP rep (or gen for that matter), for both accuracy and pragmatic reasons.
Just don't, if you are considering it.

I'm a total Stanley Ipkus when it comes to AP. New and open to learn from OG's like you here at RWI! I'll take that in consideration for the double AR. I have not received my timepiece yet (JF AP RO Tourby) however based on your comment, I'll keep her stock. Thanks!

Reactions: Allure

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I'm a total Stanley Ipkus when it comes to AP. New and open to learn from OG's like you here at RWI! I'll take that in consideration for the double AR. I have not received my timepiece yet (JF AP RO Tourby) however based on your comment, I'll keep her stock. Thanks!

The gen APs have single AR crystals and can be very reflective from many angles. It’s just a part of the watch.

The modern rep iterations have good crystals already which are consistent visually with the gen. Don’t need to change to a double AR crystal, it’s one of the worst things you can do IMHO for any AP rep. The outer coating is also delicate and will mar or wear off quite easily. One graze against a relatively solid surface like plastic will scratch it and you’ll be left with an ugly looking crystal. There’s a good reason why the luxury brands mostly do not use double AR for their crystals. There are some who do but not many.

Reactions: Allure