• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

An open post to all.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
In which category are we if we do have gens which doesn't look exactly gen due to color variation of the dial, but still 1:1 gen, but, not as accurate as a franken which is 1:1 for the owner but not to your eye ?
:picard2:
Have fun, enjoy all watches and do not create unnecessary headaches, it s gonna be fine ....:sFun_mischieviousbi

I remember there was this occasion, where a member here posted several google pictures for me, to support his argument that the ROO rotor was rose gold.
I had to put down the gen ROO I was holding, to type a response to him that no, the 26470, with exception of special edition models, always has a 22k yellow gold rotor. Source of info: my eyesight, and a confirmation via several review articles on the model.

I think gen ownership CAN provide a valuable source of information, but I also now acknowledge that this needs to be balanced with social politeness. Saying "Are you blind or what!" for example, would be sure to upset him and the argument would be thrown out of the window no matter what was fact and what wasn't.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Sad you had to post this, can’t believe how sensitive the world is becoming.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

I do feel the same as you, but I guess every man is entitled to his pride, be it over a priceless art collection or a childhood teddy bear.
What I see and how I feel toward each build will not change, but how I express myself (or abstain from doing so) will be the difference moving forward.
My daily watches are APs (I have one on my wrist even when typing this), but I have learnt that each member here, has his own interpretation on how the brand should be for them.

Vineetd23 you are one of the recent additions to this section, and I am glad to say that I enjoy what you bring with you to the section: meaningful questions, helpfulness toward others, and a straight-shooting attitude. Thank you for bringing what you bring.

Reactions: Allure and Nono92

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
No thanks, I wanna know the sad truth, I wanna try to push it to a higher level which I will never achieve. You're a sort of AP evangelist here and please never limit yourself, always speak out and feel free to comment on issues. Your wisdom and experience is one of the assets of this community and I always enjoy reading your comparisons and reviews of new models. Thank you for all Legend!

Firstly, mskwatch let me say that your avatar never fails to amuse me. A snotty looking mosquito which leeches off others and thinks it rules the world. Hey kinda reminds me of my cousin but that is another story... :hehehe:

I see myself as one of the sources of knowledge and experience in the forum yes. There are many others including your good self, and no single man knows or has it all.
Thank you for your kindness and collectively, we can set a new mood for the AP section. I will have to moderate myself as I have given my word to the admin staff, and in fact everyone reading my post. I am happy to see that you and others are here purely for the knowledge and the learning. It is for members like you that I put out for. Thank you for giving your opinion, I value it and will continue to do my best, albeit with an adjustment in my written opinions.

Allure

Word Game Queen
Certified
15/3/18
venus
legend undeniably you are one of the most generous guy, never selfish with knowledge sharing. It is equally admirable that you handle feedback with such grace and honesty!

Reactions: legend

LeoFender

Looking Around
MULTI ACCOUNT
25/6/22
Good of you to apologise for your rude behaviour, which unfortunately is very common. I have created this account to remain anonymous.

I used your services in the past quite a long time ago and have spoken to a few people on this forum who have also done so. The common theme seems that many have been on the end of your rude outbursts. Whether that is they have not introduced themselves properly to you to whatever standards you have, people have asked for an update on their watch only to be met with a threat of you sending the watch back to them and saying you don't provide updates. You get annoyed if people break one of your 'rules' which no one is aware off. It leaves people treading on eggshells when dealing with you because they don't know how you're going to react. The only reason this behaviour is tolerated is due to there not being many AP modders out there. I'm pretty sure I will never use your services again but you never know.

As the saying goes, it's not what you say, it's how you say it.

I have no doubt many people will defend you after this post but this is the experience many people have had when dealing with you. Speak more politely, especially to those who are paying for your services.

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
Palm Beach
Nothing like kicking someone when they're already down, just to be able to say "take that!"

See, legend, it's never enough!

Last edited:
Reactions: legend and kavorca1

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
Palm Beach
Had to create a fake account cause your Butt hurt

Of course, how dare this flaming opinion harm LeoFender's chances of ever using legend's services again if his true identity is known?

I guess throwing the stone and hiding the hand doesn't apply?

Lord I wish life was as easy as that.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Good of you to apologise for your rude behaviour, which unfortunately is very common. I have created this account to remain anonymous.

I used your services in the past quite a long time ago and have spoken to a few people on this forum who have also done so. The common theme seems that many have been on the end of your rude outbursts. Whether that is they have not introduced themselves properly to you to whatever standards you have, people have asked for an update on their watch only to be met with a threat of you sending the watch back to them and saying you don't provide updates. You get annoyed if people break one of your 'rules' which no one is aware off. It leaves people treading on eggshells when dealing with you because they don't know how you're going to react. The only reason this behaviour is tolerated is due to there not being many AP modders out there. I'm pretty sure I will never use your services again but you never know.

As the saying goes, it's not what you say, it's how you say it.

I have no doubt many people will defend you after this post but this is the experience many people have had when dealing with you. Speak more politely, especially to those who are paying for your services.

You’re mistaken. My apology was solely directed toward the franken/modded watch owners whose feelings are hurt because of my posts.

My rules pertaining to modding remains the same and I am not going to apologize for them. My modding rules remain 100% the same and you’ll get no apology from me unfortunately. Those are my terms of modding and those who get it will get it. Those who don’t, will have to create new accounts to gripe about them. That’s ok lol.

I hope it’s worth it to get a multi-account tag on your accounts just to say what you said. :legend:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Nothing like kicking someone when they're already down, just to be able to say "take that!"

See, legend, it's never enough!

It’s ok bro there was a special on thick skin and I picked up a few before writing the post. The few kicks are anticipated, harmless and a reminder that such guys are not strong enough to do so without a perceived advantage. Saul Goodman. (Sorry couldn’t resist)

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19
70 APs… I hope you meant 7 lol. JK man you are a legend

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
legend A, buddy i just want to say, that it is very brave of you to open your heart like that. I see you as a gentleman and an honest person. You are a big and important ressource to specially the AP community. And i sincerely hope that you will keep contributing :)

Reactions: legend and C Master

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
legend A, buddy i just want to say, that it is very brave of you to open your heart like that. I see you as a gentleman and an honest person. You are a big and important ressource to specially the AP community. And i sincerely hope that you will keep contributing :)

Thank you kindly J.
I have learnt that I cannot please everyone, and also, some guys just only want to hear the good stuff and get pats on the back after sharing a build. The reason why many members build frankens is to get them to look more credible and authentic on the wrist. I just happen to know what "authentic" is about when it comes to AP, that was all.

To give 3 concrete general examples out of many:

1. There is currently no substitute for the look of 26170 ROO gen hands, and objectively, the gen hands have a finish, shape, geometry and stack unmatched by any other replica, modded or substitute aftermarket hands

2. A lot of the franken ROOs have wrong visual geometry when looking at the crystal-bezel-gasket-tachy-dial stack. Gaps exist where they should not, or have no gaps where there should be. This is due to the different constructions of the gen/rep bezel, case, and tachy and also crystal.

3. Most of the white and black dial rubberclad frankens shown here have the wrong datewheel font. With exception of the newer batches of the 26178OK RGRC, the rest ALL use the 2226 and 2326 movements, which uses a different datewheel font, in addition to having different cyclops (at least 3 different types for the 25940 rubberclad series), and a rectangular datewheel surround. Many rubberclad frankens here use the mikey datewheel, or datewheels more suited for the 3120 movements. An ETA datewheel pictured below would have been more accurate visually IMHO for the 25940 series (and any other build using the 2326 cal, for example, the Ruben Barrichello and the Juan Pablo Montoya series). The hands used for the 2326 caliber and 3120 calibers are also different slightly in terms of the base and stack.

As promised, I will not be commenting on any specific builds anymore unless tagged. This should allow all the "Look at my awesome build" owners to share their watches freely without worry. I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion and fantasies. My opinion will not change, I cannot give up what I know just because some members do not like it, but I can learn to keep my mouth shut (ok fingers off the keyboard) for the greater good of community harmony. :legend:

Times are evolving, and what is possible today when it comes to build quality, was not common even 5 years back. For example, gen 26170 and 26470 cases are now more available in specific vendors channels, and gen movements/rotors/datewheels are also more practical options now. I have zero doubt that the guys spending franken money have the means to afford these, and I will love to see more "AP quality builds" like the ones flying tommy did some time back. Most guys will not be able to understand the intricate details of the brand and this specific brand is all about details which you cannot unsee once you know what to look for.

Once again, thank you for your kind message. I appreciate this. I am doing this not to placate the few guys who are hurt, but to improve the general atmosphere of this section.

Last edited:

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
I understand your points. It's off course a downpoint for the discussions, that you will only give your opinion when asked to.

Times are evolving, and what is possible today when it comes to build quality, was not common even 5 years back. For example, gen 26170 and 26470 cases are now more available in specific vendors channels, and gen movements/rotors/datewheels are also more practical options now. I have zero doubt that the guys spending franken money have the means to afford these, and I will love to see more "AP quality builds" like the ones flying tommy did some time back. Most guys will not be able to understand the intricate details of the brand and this specific brand is all about details which you cannot unsee once you know what to look for.

That's very interesting.

Once again, thank you for your kind message. I appreciate this. I am doing this not to placate the few guys who are hurt, but to improve the general atmosphere of this section.

I am sure you will succeed with your visions as a section moderator for the AP section. And hopefully everyone else will contribute to this. The atmosphere and content is the responsibility of everyone.

Amaiel

Supporter
Certified
27/4/16
this story seems to me really exaggerated. Necessary premises: I know Legend, I did business with him, but we are not friends. It's true. Legend is sarcastic, sometimes rude, but never offensive. In a world at war, which denies the right to abortion, do we focus on being a little sharper than normal? Without forgetting that his expertise is unique in this section and is always available to anyone who asks him for advice and suggestions. "Chinese proverb, when a wise man points at the moon, the fool looks at his finger "

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
but we are not friends

And there I was, thinking we are the at least thunder buddies for life. :hehehe:

But seriously, thank you for your post A. I am happy to give up my opinions (I acknowledge they are generally perceived as unwelcoming, harsh and condescending for a select group) so that this section can thrive and members can be happier. I am learning yet, so I do appreciate the chance given to me as well. Between the time I have made the post, and now, I have learnt to appreciate the hobby in a new way, appreciating how far the rep factories have come, and seeing the efforts and hard work being put into watches to bring them to new levels. Yes the results aren't perfect most of the time, but neither is this world we live in. Instead of seeing how much the franken falls short of the gen, I am learning to see how much it has improved over the standard replica base. I guess its all about perspectives and appreciation. And like the admin team reminded me, it is about being inclusive, and being kinder, and bringing a more balanced game.

So believe me, I am trying my best. I am not a conformist, but it is about seeing what its about, weighing both sides and then making a decision which way to go.
I really like your proverb about the finger and the moon. It reminded me of how narrow and near our visions can sometimes be. I am guilty of the same thing many times. I need to remind myself that it is about the facts and it is also about the way they are being put across.

Thank you for your input A. I appreciate it more than you know.

Reactions: Allure

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
I will take a rubber clad as a gift and you can insult me as much as you like.

Just tag me in whenever and shoot.

Wheres my watch A???