• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Perpetual Calendar vs. Royal Oak Tourbillon

notdiglet_

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/11/19
Hey All!

Looking for some opinions here. Been looking at getting a new AP and have my eyes on either the Royal Oak Tourbillon (black) or the Perpetual Calendar (black). Seemingly the reviews of the perpetual aren't that great, but personally I would like the feel of ceramic over PVD (unsure if the tourb is offered in ceramic).

Curious to hear opinions, especially of those who have pulled the trigger on either watch.

RonP

Renowned Member
11/10/19
UK
I have the Ceramic Perpetual Calendar and have had countless issues.
Some of the subdial hands fell off, the screws on the bezel were not fitted properly, dial was damaged, the week indicator was misaligned, the brushing on the case was not great and had streaks.
It's currently with my modder to fix the above issues.
The only reason I wanted it was due to it being made of ceramic so that it won't scratch like the steel version.

My advice is to be very careful and check your QC pictures very carefully especially if you do not plan on modifying your watch.

I'm actually going to order the blue dial tourbillon this week, it looks very nice, I spoke to another member here who has had the watch for 6 months and has had no issues so far.

Reactions: Denix31

notdiglet_

19/11/19
Interesting. I've heard similar complains on the calendar, especially around the construction, use of glue, etc. I also prefer the feel of ceramic but not at the cost of quality. How's the feel of the ceramic itself? The initial batches seemed to be of poor quality.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Interesting. I've heard similar complains on the calendar, especially around the construction, use of glue, etc. I also prefer the feel of ceramic but not at the cost of quality. How's the feel of the ceramic itself? The initial batches seemed to be of poor quality.

I have the watch from one member here in hand. The ceramic look and feel is consistent with the gen visually. Finishing is a little subpar yes but this can be addressed with some refinishing.
Of course, I am not certain about the structural differences, actual material quality and such by looking at it.

asuwere

2/6/19
I have the watch from one member here in hand. The ceramic look and feel is consistent with the gen visually. Finishing is a little subpar yes but this can be addressed with some refinishing.
Of course, I am not certain about the structural differences, actual material quality and such by looking at it.

Would a movement swap from the R8 factory touby fit in the APSF factory ceramic case?

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Would a movement swap from the R8 factory touby fit in the APSF factory ceramic case?
A tourbillon movement with no other complications in a perpetual calendar case? Doesn't make much sense, as you have all the pushers etc. from the PC, given it can even fit, which I doubt.

Reactions: RonP

asuwere

2/6/19
A tourbillon movement with no other complications in a perpetual calendar case? Doesn't make much sense, as you have all the pushers etc. from the PC, given it can even fit, which I doubt.

Oh, right. Forgot about those.

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU

What a movement modding challenge could be! :hehehe:

Reactions: QueTip

notdiglet_

19/11/19
The thickness is only off by .2mm, in the pics there aren't additional pushers on the PC case, so it that crazy for a TD to be able to make the ceramic case slightly bigger to fit the tourb? I feel like it should be a somewhat reasonable ask, though I am still a newbie :D