• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

APS 15400 grey dial compare to gen?

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
Did any of you buy grey 15400 from aps? How does it compare to gen grey. Gen grey dial is a bit hard to find so it is not easy to make comparison.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Gen grey dial is a bit hard to find so it is not easy to make comparison.

Then why make the comparison with gen? Just wear the rep for what it is and enjoy it if it looks pretty to your eyes. If it doenst look pretty or feel good, sell it and try something else. Ofc a 400 rep will be different to a 30k gen

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Then why make the comparison with gen? Just wear the rep for what it is and enjoy it if it looks pretty to your eyes. If it doenst look pretty or feel good, sell it and try something else. Ofc a 400 rep will be different to a 30k gen

+1. Reps are reps and should be enjoyed for what they are. Sometimes I see members who like a certain dial color, but will end up buying another color just because it is "closer to gen". This is something I don't get. Why bother with a "closer to gen" (subjectively speaking) color when it will still a replica watch?

Akilles

Lord Commander
Certified
11/6/17
The North
+1. Reps are reps and should be enjoyed for what they are. Sometimes I see members who like a certain dial color, but will end up buying another color just because it is "closer to gen". This is something I don't get. Why bother with a "closer to gen" (subjectively speaking) color when it will still a replica watch?
It seem to me many people here prefer a genlike dial color rather that a color they actually like. In my world there should be a balance there. I wouldn't buy a 500-600$ rep it was far from gen but I wouldn't buy any color/model either just because it's a NWBIG.

I would simply wait for a better rep or choose another model.

Reactions: Wacht and legend

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
I asked because I can get a gen white dial for cheap. But I personally like the grey one. So if the grey dial from aps looks of quality and the color difference is tolerably small, I will go with the grey. I will choose white otherwise.

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
I asked because I can get a gen white dial for cheap. But I personally like the grey one. So if the grey dial from aps looks of quality and the color difference is tolerably small, I will go with the grey. I will choose white otherwise.

Gen white

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
It seem to me many people here prefer a genlike dial color rather that a color they actually like. In my world there should be a balance there. I wouldn't buy a 500-600$ rep it was far from gen but I wouldn't buy any color/model either just because it's a NWBIG.

I would simply wait for a better rep or choose another model.

I agree with you that balance is important, buying what one likes vs something credible looking. Both are criteria decided by the buyer.
But guys wanting to buy something just because other members think it’s “closer to gen” rather than what he likes shows the buyer’s tendency to value the perception of others on whether it looks “legit” vs his own intuitive preference. The fact that someone has to ask which color is closer to gen shows that he is not aware and if so it shouldn’t matter to him. The fact that he needs to ask also shows his intention needing the replica watch to “look gen”, a superfluous need in this hobby because reps will always be imperfect, flawed and shouldn’t be mistaken for gen watch ownership in any shape and form.
I agree with mech500 that reps should be enjoyed for whatever they are. One always has the choice of other reps, using gen parts, modifying certain aspects of the watch or buying gen. There are many choices and one shouldn’t ever have to ask others about which rep or color is “closer to gen”.

The chasm between the gen and the rep watches is wide and yawning and I like it kept that way, being a gen watch collector. It helps both gens and reps retain their respective values and worth. That’s one reason I never peruse or acknowledge the watches on the “consensual NWBIG list”. It’s pretty subjective and I’m capable of forming my own opinions and preference and everyone here should do the same too instead of letting someone else decide what to buy and wear.

Reactions: Allure and Akilles

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
My conclusion is that when it comes to Grey Dial, ZF>APS>RS. I will wait and see if ZF will update their DW color.

Wacht

Renowned Member
6/7/20
The business is to make the best most gen like replicas. That is what makes a rep factory thrive and is their sole purpose. Then there's homages for those who want something similar but not a copy or replica if you will. The question is valid for most users I suspect. And should be kept asked, even if not necessarily always aloud.

I think you summed the landscape quite well above with your last post dashindark

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
It seem to me many people here prefer a genlike dial color rather that a color they actually like. In my world there should be a balance there.

I hear you mate but OP is basically saying that he has no idea what gen looks like since it’s “hard to find” so “can’t make comparison”.....my point, is that it has already been established here that the reps are decent enough for what they are....one could leave it at that and enjoy the novelty of these watches or one could try and ruin reps for oneself by going out of ones way to learn why a 30k gen is better.

Ofc if you know/appreciate what gen looks like and want your rep to look close as possible to gen, then that’s a different story.

But if you’ve read the reviews here and seen the pics - no obvious flaws flaws or issues have been reported then in the absence of gen knowledge or ownership experience (as in OPs case) - it might be best to leave it there and enjoy the reps, rather than do more digging to find ways to hate the rep.

Anyways that’s how I look at it - not saying your wrong OP...just a topic of discussion.

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I hear you mate but OP is basically saying that he has no idea what gen looks like since it’s “hard to find” so “can’t make comparison”.....my point, is that it has already been established here that the reps are decent enough for what they are....one could leave it at that and enjoy the novelty of these watches or one could try and ruin reps for oneself by going out of ones way to learn why a 30k gen is better.

Ofc if you know/appreciate what gen looks like and want your rep to look close as possible to gen, then that’s a different story.

But if you’ve read the reviews here and seen the pics - no obvious flaws flaws or issues have been reported then in the absence of gen knowledge or ownership experience (as in OPs case) - it might be best to leave it there and enjoy the reps, rather than do more digging to find ways to hate the rep.

Anyways that’s how I look at it - not saying your wrong OP...just a topic of discussion.

Ah yes the proverbial gen ownership or knowledge experience. It ruins the rep game for owners essentially and one reason I’ll rather go watchless than strap on a rep AP or any other rep watch on my wrist.

While some members spend time discoursing which rep is more accurate and which details are wrong I see watches in 2 broad categories: gens and reps, and the latter includes frankens with an extensive list of gen parts meant to impress.

I see $500 reps as something to amuse oneself with and of course they will come with the necessary flaws and imperfections expected of reps. They will never be gen no matter how close they look and that’s the fact of the matter.

Guys who have to obsess over the accuracy of details are ironically often the greatest tells themselves if you think about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Allure

Akilles

Lord Commander
Certified
11/6/17
The North

I actually just quoted Legend as a further discussion in this thread. It wasn't directed to OP. If so I would have quoted him, not Legend.

AMF

Trusted Watch Dealer
Trusted Dealer
27/5/20
We have a few builds in hand with genuine grey dial. Will try take picture and post here.

Reactions: Wacht and j21

asuwere

2/6/19
Who's got a link to APSF's grey dial? I haven't seen links up on TD sites. I've only seen white, black, and blue but no grey.

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
We have a few builds in hand with genuine grey dial. Will try take picture and post here.

Do you had any luck modifying the clone 3120 movement for instant date change?
Thanks

Wacht

Renowned Member
6/7/20

A true mvp, waiting anxiously.

I dont like the apsf dials, zf has better dials. A combination of apsf base with zf dial is the best if you dont wish to go franken

I was thinking just the same. Got to order another apsf… :p

Reactions: j21