• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Suggestions modding AP ZF 15703 Diver

alexutzuro

Renowned Member
Certified
22/9/15
The wetness of the ZF dial is beautiful.

Regarding waterproofness,speaking sadly for experience, I'd say that despite the "diver" nomen it is not the safest watch to bring along when you dip in.

It has so many entry points...
I haven't even bothered, now that i know that it can withstand a good wash from time to time under running water, i'm good.

It is more a psychological wish, having the watches be waterproof to at least 10atm. I only go swimming with my Gshock or Deep Blue anyway, so i can clearly live with it.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I haven't even bothered, now that i know that it can withstand a good wash from time to time under running water, i'm good.

It is more a psychological wish, having the watches be waterproof to at least 10atm. I only go swimming with my Gshock or Deep Blue anyway, so i can clearly live with it.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Watches can be waterproofed and pressure tested to 5 or 10 or whatever atm, yes.
But many neglect the quality of the gaskets and seals per se. Some of the rep gaskets and seals cannot hold up to repeated or prolonged exposure to the chlorine in the swimming pool or minerals in the sea water, or the sheer pressure on or erosion of the protective parts. The watch passing the pressure test one time does not mean that it will hold up to prolonged exposure to water, even at a lesser pressure rating.
But a watch passing a pressure test of 5atm is a good indication that it will survive countless rain showers and hand washing and errant splashes of water on the watch. It is not just about exposure with water but the different types of exposure. Immersion of the watch in water is vastly different from running through the rain with your watch exposed. When it comes to sea water, debris and sediment in the water will also scratch the case and bracelet surfaces like a vandal dream come true.

So don’t be too caught up with the pressure rating. Show me a watch waterproofed and pressure tested to 10am and I’ll show you one (even gen Rolex submariners) which need their gaskets and seals replaced due to wear and tear over the years. When it comes to luxury watches, I never take them swimming as a personal rule and if I have to swim with a watch, then a rubberized tool watch like the gshock you suggested is perfect. Water damage is the last thing you want happen to your watch. I’ve seen AP charging $8k for a watch with water ingression. That’s not exactly a sensible amount but it is what it is when there isn’t much choice for parts replacement.

alanparker217

Horology Curious
31/10/21
It is not technically possible to get an instant date change with the 2824 movement but you can get a shorter date change transition. Just ask your watchsmith to tighten up or shorten the date spring and explain what you want to achieve. He will know what to do.
All gen AP ROOs, divers and royal oaks come with the instant date change and I would rather the rep makers choose to use the 2836 instead of the 2824. Xf understood this when they released their iterations of the forged carbon and ceramic divers. The rest likely just chose the 2824 because it cost less. The slow date roll always irked me. It does not matter at all to most people but that’s one reason I can never wear a rep AP with the 2824 or LWO movement.

All the best with your project!

From what I understand is that all divers come with a 2824 and they don’t have instant date change. However I recently bought one from M2M and it does have an instant date change. Does that mean the movement has been changed?

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
From what I understand is that all divers come with a 2824 and they don’t have instant date change. However I recently bought one from M2M and it does have an instant date change. Does that mean the movement has been changed?

Not necessarily, it is possible to modify the 2824 so that the date changes very very close to midnight and seems almost instant

alanparker217

Horology Curious
31/10/21
Not necessarily, it is possible to modify the 2824 so that the date changes very very close to midnight and seems almost instant

appreciate the input, however it literally changes instantly like my DJ41. I kept staring at it closely as I thought this was the case that, but from what I can see it's an instant date change so I was just wondering if anyone has any input.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

It’s not true that all AP divers come with a 2824. There are some which came with 2836 as well as miyota movements.
If your diver has an instant date change then it likely came with a 2836 movement.

alanparker217

Horology Curious
31/10/21
It’s not true that all AP divers come with a 2824. There are some which came with 2836 as well as miyota movements.
If your diver has an instant date change then it likely came with a 2836 movement.

Thank you Legend. Guess I got lucky as the slow date change really irritates me

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thank you Legend. Guess I got lucky as the slow date change really irritates me

If you got the 2836 movement as well as the correct datewheel (maybe you can show a picture here) then in my opinion it is the way the diver movement and datewheel should look.
Much better than the 2824 slow date change variant.

Reactions: Allure

EuroTime25

Lost Soul of Watches
Supporter
Certified
24/7/20
West USA
Absolutely gorgeous! Did I make a mistake ordering the JF 15703 last week? :unsure:

you didnt. The JF is still a great watch. Yes the ZF is a bit better but the JF isnt far behind. Enjoy the watch, I have the JF and love it. To me its hard to tell the difference between the two.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
you didnt. The JF is still a great watch. Yes the ZF is a bit better but the JF isnt far behind. Enjoy the watch, I have the JF and love it. To me its hard to tell the difference between the two.

I think a lot of your posts look like you’re trying to assure yourself that the JF diver is a great watch. And it is. In terms of details, ZF is just better.

Fact of the matter is, in a pic, put the gen, the ZF and the JF side by side and it’s hard for most people to tell which is which. The pics on the forums afford the academic luxury of seeing details which are impoissible to spot in real life.
If you like the JF stick to JF. Neither it nor the ZF are gen. These are all reps, no matter how much they resemble the gen and no matter how many gen parts one puts into it.
As long as you’re comfortable with your watch it’ll look right on you. Doesn’t have to be gen. Or ZF. Confidence is the best mod for replica watch owners.

EuroTime25

Lost Soul of Watches
Supporter
Certified
24/7/20
West USA
I think a lot of your posts look like you’re trying to assure yourself that the JF diver is a great watch. And it is. In terms of details, ZF is just better.

Fact of the matter is, in a pic, put the gen, the ZF and the JF side by side and it’s hard for most people to tell which is which. The pics on the forums afford the academic luxury of seeing details which are impoissible to spot in real life.
If you like the JF stick to JF. Neither it nor the ZF are gen. These are all reps, no matter how much they resemble the gen and no matter how many gen parts one puts into it.
As long as you’re comfortable with your watch it’ll look right on you. Doesn’t have to be gen. Or ZF. Confidence is the best mod for replica watch owners.

Im not trying to do anything. I love my JF. Again i am not picky on extreme detail. As you said its still a rep watch. Its just all these ZF fanboys lol JK, keep saying like its a night and day difference between the two. For ones who know every millimeter of a watch yes, but for us who enjoy the watches we simply cannot tell. I think its more ZF guys who keep trying to convince themselves they got a better version. Lol. Again I looked at photos of all 3 and I cant tell so I just enjoy my watch. If someone reads the reviews here especially on a ZF post they will think JF is a shitty rep, but thats not true at all. Like its been said over and over majority cant tell just by you wearing it, unless its a DHGate version. I just want to make sure the person who posted about their JF order think they ordered a piece of shit of a watch. And I want them to know ZF is good but not great, JF is close but a smudge less than ZF. Plus my JF on my new strap I won in the raffle makes it so much more comfortable to wear. A must upgrade.

And if I really thought the ZF was that much better I would just have ordered one and sold my JF. But again I love it every time I put it on and thats all that matters. But that also goes for my watches, I just enjoy watches. Its like children you love them all equally.

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Im not trying to do anything. I love my JF. Again i am not picky on extreme detail. As you said its still a rep watch. Its just all these ZF fanboys lol JK, keep saying like its a night and day difference between the two. For ones who know every millimeter of a watch yes, but for us who enjoy the watches we simply cannot tell. I think its more ZF guys who keep trying to convince themselves they got a better version. Lol. Again I looked at photos of all 3 and I cant tell so I just enjoy my watch. If someone reads the reviews here especially on a ZF post they will think JF is a shitty rep, but thats not true at all. Like its been said over and over majority cant tell just by you wearing it, unless its a DHGate version. I just want to make sure the person who posted about their JF order think they ordered a piece of shit of a watch. And I want them to know ZF is good but not great, JF is close but a smudge less than ZF. Plus my JF on my new strap I won in the raffle makes it so much more comfortable to wear. A must upgrade.

And if I really thought the ZF was that much better I would just have ordered one and sold my JF. But again I love it every time I put it on and thats all that matters. But that also goes for my watches, I just enjoy watches. Its like children you love them all equally.

If you take time to compare the individual parts of the ZF, like dial, hands, dive bezel, cyclop, datewheel and case, ZF is better if you know how the gen is like (and I do).

But once again, it’s still a rep just like the JF and in real life, I doubt anyone can call it out. For me personally there’s just 2 categories of APs: Gen (the kind made in Le Brassus by AP) and reps (from the “superfrankens” with gen parts to the DHgate watches) and both ZF and JF belong to the latter category. So no big deal. As long as you enjoy your watch that’s all good.

EuroTime25

Lost Soul of Watches
Supporter
Certified
24/7/20
West USA
If you take time to compare the individual parts of the ZF, like dial, hands, dive bezel, cyclop, datewheel and case, ZF is better if you know how the gen is like (and I do).

But once again, it’s still a rep just like the JF and in real life, I doubt anyone can call it out. For me personally there’s just 2 categories of APs: Gen (the kind made in Le Brassus by AP) and reps (from the “superfrankens” with gen parts to the DHgate watches) and both ZF and JF belong to the latter category. So no big deal. As long as you enjoy your watch that’s all good.

Exactly. I just dont want the guy to second guess his JF is bad rep. Its also a Super Rep for a reason. People here sometimes will get into their heads that a superrep they bought is not as good as it can be. But majority cannot tell when on your wrist. I was in the same boat as him. After reading posts JF and ZF and having ordered a JF because ZF wasn’t available, I was second guessing did I male the right decision. But just like when I look at QC I look at photos of gen and compare will this fool me a person who is into watches but doesnt focus on every little detail. After having all 3 on my screen and looking at all detail I knew that I still got an amazing watch that I enjoy every time I wear it. So in the end I just wanted to make sure the person who ordered a JF knows its an Amazing Rep and he will enjoy it. Also with reps best not to over think it. Because that $500 watch can become a $3000 Franken because you want it to look like gen. Best to enjoy the $500 watch and buy more to enjoy.

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Exactly. I just dont want the guy to second guess his JF is bad rep. Its also a Super Rep for a reason. People here sometimes will get into their heads that a superrep they bought is not as good as it can be. But majority cannot tell when on your wrist. I was in the same boat as him. After reading posts JF and ZF and having ordered a JF because ZF wasn’t available, I was second guessing did I male the right decision. But just like when I look at QC I look at photos of gen and compare will this fool me a person who is into watches but doesnt focus on every little detail. After having all 3 on my screen and looking at all detail I knew that I still got an amazing watch that I enjoy every time I wear it. So in the end I just wanted to make sure the person who ordered a JF knows its an Amazing Rep and he will enjoy it. Also with reps best not to over think it. Because that $500 watch can become a $3000 Franken because you want it to look like gen. Best to enjoy the $500 watch and buy more to enjoy.

We can agree that the JF diver is a great rep. I would not call it a "superrep" myself (just like how I would not call, for example, a 15400 with gen hands, gen dial a "superfranken") but this is subjective and I get what you mean. I think there is no need to compare the watch with gen to appreciate it, because no matter what, it will never be gen and it will never be an AP. For me, the ultimate level in this hobby of replica watches is to enjoy any watch as it is, without pretending ever that it is gen or something it isn't. If you spend $500 and enjoy it as a $500 watch, it is serving its purpose well. We can debate ZF/JF differences on the forum, but it will always mean very little in real life. I split my time now between no watch on the wrist, and wearing my gen APs and both make me equally happy. I don't own reps so maybe I do not understand the rep owner mentality perfectly but what you said certainly sounds reasonable. I have however handled many reps being a modder, and I would say that JF or ZF, both replicas are great and well built. The ZF diver has academic advantages over the JF but these are seen and discussed on the forum (where we meet) and not real life. If I meet someone wearing an AP diver in real life and he tells me that its gen or ZF of JF, I would have the same level of believe for his statement. Reps are well made nowadays and nobody can deny that. We need to appreciate and discuss them without the boundaries of the hobby and not see them as anything other than very good replica watches.

Thank you EuroTime25 for sharing your views, it is much appreciated!

Last edited:

EuroTime25

Lost Soul of Watches
Supporter
Certified
24/7/20
West USA

same here. I just enjoy watches from $20 and up. Love them all. Plus my Favorite watch is a Casio AMW320. It was a watch I wore in Middle School through High School. And now I have 6 of them. 2 Are still new never worn. Lol. Great talking to you as always. Now I will let this topic continue on how to make his AP more gen like.

to make your AP more gen like buy a $500k car and no one will question you. Works on all expensive watches. Ha ha.

Reactions: Anonray and legend

mikeanh77

13/11/18
Asia
We can agree that the JF diver is a great rep. I would not call it a "superrep" myself (just like how I would not call, for example, a 15400 with gen hands, gen dial a "superfranken") but this is subjective and I get what you mean. I think there is no need to compare the watch with gen to appreciate it, because no matter what, it will never be gen and it will never be an AP. For me, the ultimate level in this hobby of replica watches is to enjoy any watch as it is, without pretending ever that it is gen or something it isn't. If you spend $500 and enjoy it as a $500 watch, it is serving its purpose well. We can debate ZF/JF differences on the forum, but it will always mean very little in real life.

Have the chance of doing an noob daytona with legend 2 years back, his statement stand correct until today.
I was super enjoying my rep back then when i dont have the money for a gen yet, but now when i have a few gen, rep are still lovely to wear if you respect it as it is, good effort and detail for so little money.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
same here. I just enjoy watches from $20 and up. Love them all. Plus my Favorite watch is a Casio AMW320. It was a watch I wore in Middle School through High School. And now I have 6 of them. 2 Are still new never worn. Lol. Great talking to you as always. Now I will let this topic continue on how to make his AP more gen like.

to make your AP more gen like buy a $500k car and no one will question you. Works on all expensive watches. Ha ha.

Agree.
It’s the wearer who makes the watch believable (or not).

I do not quite understand “gen like” though: any watch is either gen or it’s rep. A watch which is arguably more “gen like” is still a rep.
But each other has the right to enjoy his watch the way he wants to: stock, modded or loaded with gen parts. I’ve absolutely nothing against that.
Enjoyed the exchange with you sir and yes let’s keep this on topic. Thank you.

Kingquest_s

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
3/1/16
CONUS
I have both JF v10 and ZF and none of them look best unless you mix part. U have to look at what series do u wanna to build. Personaly, i like the H-series because of the unique Datewheel and dont like the modern font. JF v10 make correct H-series, correct case back and datewheel. Best mod is replace with zf inner ring and hand, low beat movement, and rebursh case. Gen brush look deeper and shade of brownish, little bit grey look on JF. Zf 15400, 15500 and 15703 have very nice brush close to gen, however, all need to redone to get the gen blink (if u crazy about AP, u will understand why). There are lot variant version of Inner ring, but JF is make it too bold. ???? So i think none of them perfect depend on how your comfortable with. Rep is rep!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: EuroTime25

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I have both JF v10 and ZF and none of them look best unless you mix part. U have to look at what series do u wanna to build. Personaly, i like the H-series because of the unique Datewheel and dont like the modern font. JF v10 make correct H-series, correct case back and datewheel. Best mod is replace with zf inner ring and hand, low beat movement, and rebursh case. Gen brush look deeper and shade of brownish, little bit grey look on JF. Zf 15400, 15500 and 15703 have very nice brush close to gen, however, all need to redone to get the gen blink (if u crazy about AP, u will understand why). There are lot variant version of Inner ring, but JF is make it too bold. ???? So i think none of them perfect depend on how your comfortable with. Rep is rep!

I’m curious why the gen brushing will look brownish. None of my gen APs have that brown at all. The steel used by AP is the 306 grade and brushing it should not exhibit brownness of any kind. Maybe I am not understanding correctly and you can clarify?

Also it’s not true that gen brushing automatically looks deeper. I can brush the rep to have an equally deep brushing but it can still appear less refined than the gen if it’s not done right. There are variations in the gen brushing as well and even between two pieces of the same gen model the look can differ. Compared to the rep, the gen brushing will look more refined yes but not necessary deeper. Finishing wise I agree with you, of course gen is better and it’s evident looking with the naked eye.

Kingquest_s

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
3/1/16
CONUS
I’m curious why the gen brushing will look brownish. None of my gen APs have that brown at all. The steel used by AP is the 306 grade and brushing it should not exhibit brownness of any kind. Maybe I am not understanding correctly and you can clarify?

Also it’s not true that gen brushing automatically looks deeper. I can brush the rep to have an equally deep brushing but it can still appear less refined than the gen if it’s not done right. There are variations in the gen brushing as well and even between two pieces of the same gen model the look can differ. Compared to the rep, the gen brushing will look more refined yes but not necessary deeper. Finishing wise I agree with you, of course gen is better and it’s evident looking with the naked eye.
Oops sorry about my auto correction, I mean ZF brush look warmer than JF, more closer to gen.