• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Absolute XF Devastation

Ishmael

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
31/3/14
Ok maybe not “absolute”, but in 8 years on this forum, I’ve managed to sidestep the dreaded “once it leaves my hands…” condition on an M2M sale. Well no more. I recently bought a C&R XF AP 15202 blue dial (can’t get from TDs) anymore. When I got it and started wearing it, I noticed pretty quickly after that the hands stopped moving despite being fully wound. I reached out to the seller, who offered the typical “check with forum watch fixers or try to find a local one in the phone book”. Ok whatever. For the record, apparently there is no forum watch fixer that would take it on (I asked most of them). Idk why, it’s a Miyota 9015 - I didn’t think that was a crazy complicated movement, but what the hell do I know? Then my good friend yodog offered to take a crack at it, even though he’s not an AP guy. Gave it a valiant effort, but we’re still back at the drawing board, same condition as before. Hands just stop even though the movement keeps running. I spoke briefly with Legend but then never heard back.

So now I need some advice from all you AP guys - I’m in the tall grass. Do I:

- Buy a new Miyota 9015 and just replace the whole thing? Is that even possible? I know I’d lose the deco plates but maybe I’d keep the rotor? Are these modified in some way to make a 1:1 swap not feasible?

- Sell it for a loss on M2M as a non-functioning watch (even though the movement itself appears to run)?

- Some other third option I haven’t thought of?

There’s a guy on Reddit I found in the RepTime forum who said he could fix it unequivocally - I think “tbuttery” is his name. Problem is he’s booked out several months. But he’s CONUS, and I’d like to keep it in the US if possible, and not add insult to injury by losing it to customs.

What do you AP masters recommend? Cheers in advance.

7e87115248feab91b99c53649b1a41d9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

asanibal

Renowned Member
19/10/08
Ok maybe not “absolute”, but in 8 years on this forum, I’ve managed to sidestep the dreaded “once it leaves my hands…” condition on an M2M sale. Well no more. I recently bought a C&R XF AP 15202 blue dial (can’t get from TDs) anymore. When I got it and started wearing it, I noticed pretty quickly after that the hands stopped moving despite being fully wound. I reached out to the seller, who offered the typical “check with forum watch fixers or try to find a local one in the phone book”. Ok whatever. For the record, apparently there is no forum watch fixer that would take it on (I asked most of them). Idk why, it’s a Miyota 9015 - I didn’t think that was a crazy complicated movement, but what the hell do I know? Then my good friend yodog offered to take a crack at it, even though he’s not an AP guy. Gave it a valiant effort, but we’re still back at the drawing board, same condition as before. Hands just stop even though the movement keeps running. I spoke briefly with Legend but then never heard back.

So now I need some advice from all you AP guys - I’m in the tall grass. Do I:

- Buy a new Miyota 9015 and just replace the whole thing? Is that even possible? I know I’d lose the deco plates but maybe I’d keep the rotor? Are these modified in some way to make a 1:1 swap not feasible?

- Sell it for a loss on M2M as a non-functioning watch (even though the movement itself appears to run)?

- Some other third option I haven’t thought of?

There’s a guy on Reddit I found in the RepTime forum who said he could fix it unequivocally - I think “tbuttery” is his name. Problem is he’s booked out several months. But he’s CONUS, and I’d like to keep it in the US if possible, and not add insult to injury by losing it to customs.

What do you AP masters recommend? Cheers in advance.

7e87115248feab91b99c53649b1a41d9.jpg

You could sell it as spare parts or for Franken projects instantly but I would try to find a watchmaker who would fix it.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Buy a new genuine Miyota 9015 from a legitimate watch supply site and have a watchmaker transfer the deco plates and other replicated AP design parts to it. Miyota 9015 is a budget movement with poor serviceability.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
slaughterer62 What he said. Cheaper to buy a new movement than service the one you have. I guess it depends a bit if you want to retain the slow date change and no second position on the crown (quick date change). I just got a bf 15202 and to be honest im thinking about sticking a new 9015 in to get quick date change back and no slow date change. Just pisses me off!

Ishmael

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
31/3/14
slaughterer62 What he said. Cheaper to buy a new movement than service the one you have. I guess it depends a bit if you want to retain the slow date change and no second position on the crown (quick date change). I just got a bf 15202 and to be honest im thinking about sticking a new 9015 in to get quick date change back and no slow date change. Just pisses me off!

Lol this is true, drives me coconuts changing the date like that!

Ishmael

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
31/3/14
In other news… now the damn thing is working perfectly, running strong the past 6 hours. Color me confused.

asanibal

Renowned Member
19/10/08
In other news… now the damn thing is working perfectly, running strong the past 6 hours. Color me confused.

Sometimes it happens when it travels

Invetero

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/11/20
replace the movement ! 9015 are relatively inexpensive, im fairly sure the decoplates can be removed from the old movement and glued back on to the new one.
it's kinda strange you were unable to find someone willing to do the job, in fact you could attempt at doing it yourself if you have the right equipment

nunyabusiness

Supporter
Certified
16/9/21
Wokeville, USA

Just a quick FYI, CONUS means Continental United States, so if you do decide to go with tbuttery, it's not crossing the US border or going through customs.

Ishmael

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
31/3/14
Just a quick FYI, CONUS means Continental United States, so if you do decide to go with tbuttery, it's not crossing the US border or going through customs.

Yes I know that - it was poorly phrased lol. I meant the guy is CONUS, which is good, but he’s booked out several months, which is bad.

Btw still running strong 16.5 hrs later. Change thread title to “Absolute XF Flabbergastion”

Ishmael

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
31/3/14
Gonna list it. Thanks for the input fellas.