• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Franken 5402 Project - Two years in the making ... Merry Christmas!

Riverwind85

26/4/18
I am sorry to hear that… I hope it will be ready soon since I desperately need one for myself…

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
Amazing job

If you are searching for gen white gold hands i can tell you where to get them, they cost 850usd
However i dont know if they will fit the miyota

Reactions: LuminorReptar

Erinoush

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/19
UAE / EUROPE
Amazing job

If you are searching for gen white gold hands i can tell you where to get them, they cost 850usd

... and this watch would deserve it !
indeed crazy , but amazing project ...

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
Amazing job

Afaik gen hands don't fit Miyota without modding, or don't fit all.

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
... and this watch would deserve it !
indeed crazy , but amazing project ...

Yep 100%

I love and respect all the franken builds, too much money and personal time invested to make them happen, if i could help with point where someone can source a part or an advice always happy to help

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
Afaik gen hands don't fit Miyota without modding, or don't fit all.

Yes they dont
maybe a top modder like Domi could figure out something in order to installed on the miyota, otherwise a gen k2121 is pretty easy to source and relatively cheap(compared to other gen ap movement s)

BeeLow

Horology Curious
11/5/22
The amount of dedication to build this.... absolutely stunning. Here's to hoping you can get the case back fixed! Can't wait to see the end product

LuminorReptar

RepTime BST Mod
27/3/17
Beyond the Pines.
Guys, firstly I'd like to say thank you for all the kind words and support on this thread, I appreciate all of your responses !

Here goes the final update - After another 6 months of back-and-forth, I'm excited to share the completed solid case back. Not only does it hide the incorrect (un-decorated) miyota 9015, but also it is visually more accurate to gen which has simple engravings for "royal oak" and the corresponding serial.

Am extremely happy with the finished look. It's about as close to the gen case back as I had hoped to achieve, given the limitations using a 15202 case as my base.

Anyway - I don't really have much else to say on the processing work done, since I had more or less shared all the details at length on my initial post. Will just let the pics do the talking

Cheers!

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Guys, firstly I'd like to say thank you for all the kind words and support on this thread, I appreciate all of your responses !

Here goes the final update - After another 6 months of back-and-forth, I'm excited to share the completed solid case back. Not only does it hide the incorrect (un-decorated) miyota 9015, but also it is visually more accurate to gen which has simple engravings for "royal oak" and the corresponding serial.

Am extremely happy with the finished look. It's about as close to the gen case back as I had hoped to achieve, given the limitations using a 15202 case as my base.

Anyway - I don't really have much else to say on the processing work done, since I had more or less shared all the details at length on my initial post. Will just let the pics do the talking

Cheers!

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

Seeing your project come to fruition is so much more meaningful than seeing yet another basic and boring 15400 franken, or some two-bit 26470 franken with no soul, for example being brought to life and put in a new thread like it’s some groundbreaking discovery. I often see too much pride for too little watch in those builds. :legend:

Your build actually deserves its own thread, it is afterall the only one of its kind and the effort and passion put into this is incomparable. Hearty congratulations to you. AP frankens are always about the passion and the journey, and not just cramming gen parts into a watch and thinking that it’s good as gen. I think that your build encapsulates the epitome of this hobby optimally and I would personally love to see more of these. It’s about shaping the soul of the watch and crafting it with heart. I personally love your project. Thank you for sharing it with us.

dkongey

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/6/21
Amazing work! Are you using the 14790 bracelet on the 15202 entirely? Or just the clasp option? Asking because I'm sourcing for a bracelet for a gen and have been looking for options. Thank you!

LuminorReptar

RepTime BST Mod
27/3/17
Beyond the Pines.
Amazing work! Are you using the 14790 bracelet on the 15202 entirely? Or just the clasp option? Asking because I'm sourcing for a bracelet for a gen and have been looking for options. Thank you!

yeah the bracelet is the full MBW taken for a 14790 reference. Using the full bracelet

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19
Very cool build. That dial is retro beyond belief. I think you got the rounded bezel screws perfectly. That is a nice detail which adds to the charm and look of the watch. We’re the dial feet cut on this beautiful dial? If I were you I would figure out a way to weld the caseback to the midcase and then finish the connections to get a seamless fit but that requires a lot of research and a specialized welder with professional tools. I’d probably end up ruining it but one can always dream haha.

Palief

27/7/20
yeah the bracelet is the full MBW taken for a 14790 reference. Using the full bracelet

I am surprised 14790 37mm bracelet is interchangeable between 39mm? is it just MBW different from cartel/BP?

BTW any chance of getting any of these currently from any sellers?

LuminorReptar

RepTime BST Mod
27/3/17
Beyond the Pines.
I am surprised 14790 37mm bracelet is interchangeable between 39mm? is it just MBW different from cartel/BP?

BTW any chance of getting any of these currently from any sellers?

The end plots on the bracelet had to be slightly modified to fit with the XF 15202 case set, but otherwise its an excellent fit

Unfortunately I dont know where to source another MBW bracelet as I bought mine M2M here on the forum

Palief

27/7/20
The end plots on the bracelet had to be slightly modified to fit with the XF 15202 case set, but otherwise its an excellent fit

Unfortunately I dont know where to source another MBW bracelet as I bought mine M2M here on the forum

Thank you for sharing these experience bro. Let me know if you have any case or bracelet spares for sale, I struggle to find any...

Palief

27/7/20
Let me know if you ever wanna sell thr watch, or any spare parts!

asanibal

Renowned Member
19/10/08
If possible it could be nice if you sell some case backs , once you have the source and the details ;)
Some of us would be very happy to have one of that amazing casebacks