• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The one to rule all?

AMF

Trusted Watch Dealer
Trusted Dealer
27/5/20
We believe we have built the best AP franken build in the hobby. Let us share the story of this.

We share this to show all different sides of what we do. We wanted to showcase nothing but the best and this project just finish shows it for AP Offshore ROO. The issues with the average AP franken, other than the visual differences in commonly used aftermarket hands and datewheel and also include the vertical geometry of the watch, the subtle differences in the case, and the overall appearance of the watch. We wanted to address this and went all the way in. This journey started about a few several months before us launching AMF when we were offered a full genuine case set and shared it with our customer who loved it and it is completed only last week with the final screw going in just now as the bracelet arrived. The sourcing of the gen parts took a long time, and cost above the originally planned budget, but is all worth the while at the end to us. The parts were ordered from very reliable and resourceful sources we have been working with for a long time.

Parts used, all brand new:

1. Gen Dial

2. Gen Tachy

3. Gen hands set, all 6 hands

4. Gen complete 3126/3840 caliber with cyclop, gen modern font datewheel and rotor

5. Gen midcase, bezel, plots and caseback

6. Gen crown and pushers

7. Gen gaskets, seal set for AP ROO

8. Gen connecting screw set

9. Gen crystal

10. Gen bracelet

11. Rep lug screw

The work, as you can imagine, is relatively simple after all the parts arrive and are inspected and check to be good.. One point we want to highlight is that this is a regular production H serial gen case set, and not a factory reject or prototype etc., which are a lot easier to obtain as they come up here and there.. This mean that the case set is identical to the ones sold by AP through their boutiques, and the serial number is actually one which is in the AP records. We believe that details other than the watch parts need to be taken care of in such a project. The watch needs for example to be able to be scrutinised thorough through any way. This is something which some other gensteins cannot do due to the discrepancy correctness between the case set and caliber used. It was never an option for the owner to go with anything else than the full correct gen movement in all its parts from every screw to every gear and we managed to get exactly this. We are very happy to have been able to work on this project and source everything. Understanding the root of such a luxury watch is important, and we spare no effort in getting this established. So you get not just a watch which is 100% built from gen AP parts, but an ownership experience unlike any other because of the history of the watch. Owning a watch like this is not just about the parts used, but more importantly, about the experience and connection as owner.

j12Q4P.jpg

j12lgW.jpg

j12CmS.jpg

j12PPQ.jpg

j12kt8.jpg

j12wNK.jpg

j12T0L.jpg

j12deR.jpg

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
very very nice build!
​​​​​​other than a few rep lug screws you constructed a genstein panda. congrats.

perhaps I get the wrong message or your writing style lacks the drama. for me, there is more to a 'watch journey' than assembly.

on TRF someone writes about how they worked their way up from cleaner, to CEO and finally ordered a watch for their 50th and collected from Geneva.
another says, ​​​​​​i put my name on wait list and got the watch yesterday. yawn.

​​​​​​​
there are watch journeys and interesting watch journeys.

​​​

Reactions: whitegold

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
very very nice build!
​​​​​​other than a few rep lug screws you constructed a genstein panda. congrats.

perhaps I get the wrong message or your writing style lacks the drama. for me, there is more to a 'watch journey' than assembly.

on TRF someone writes about how they worked their way up from cleaner, to CEO and finally ordered a watch for their 50th and collected from Geneva.
another says, ​​​​​​i put my name on wait list and got the watch yesterday. yawn.

​​​​​​​
there are watch journeys and interesting watch journeys.

​​​

I guess boring old AMF only knows how to create genstein APs but lack the writer’s flair when it comes to posts about creating them tsk tsk

But surely the actual result is more impressive than the guy with the franken using aftermarket hands and LWO and sensationalizing his build and acting like he’s the creator of AP. :legend:

Reactions: Allure

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
But surely the actual result is more impressive than the guy with the franken using aftermarket hands and LWO and sensationalizing his build and acting like he’s the creator of AP. :legend:

In watch terms this is a genstein and sits in a different bracket to frankens. A comparable build would be the flying-tommy vampire which has a interesting watch journey.

of course the end result is very impressive due to the fact it's assembled with basically all gen parts, just the style of writing disses the work others have put into the hobby. we look, say congrats and move on.
Next thread will be all those TRF guys posting their franken AP with aftermarkets straps. :legend:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
In watch terms this is a genstein and sits in a different bracket to frankens. A comparable build would be the flying-tommy vampire which has a interesting watch journey.

of course the end result is very impressive due to the fact it's assembled with basically all gen parts, just the style of writing disses the work others have put into the hobby. we look, say congrats and move on.
Next thread will be all those TRF guys posting their franken AP with aftermarkets straps. :legend:

I knew what you meant exactly Garuda I was only joking.
The post was a little anti climatic I got it. But you know how different guys have different writing styles and perhaps English isn’t OP’s native tongue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OffshoreNL

20/2/21
Europe
Not familiar with AMC, I had all my amazing frankens built by flying-tommy but does AMC actually source the parts for the buyer and what is the price for the build above?
I am not interested in switching to AMC but I'd love to know what their service entails.
Basically like a build to order Franken or what is the process? Would love to know :)

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Not familiar with AMC, I had all my amazing frankens built by flying-tommy but does AMC actually source the parts for the buyer and what is the price for the build above?
I am not interested in switching to AMC but I'd love to know what their service entails.
Basically like a build to order Franken or what is the process? Would love to know :)

I think you meant AMF. Just send them a PM and you may get your query answered.

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
a great project. would love to see pictures of the steps in building the watch, we could all benefit from that.

Thanks for sharing in advance!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Last edited:
We believe we have built the best AP franken build in the hobby. Let us share the story of this.

We share this to show all different sides of what we do. We wanted to showcase nothing but the best and this project just finish shows it for AP Offshore ROO. The issues with the average AP franken, other than the visual differences in commonly used aftermarket hands and datewheel and also include the vertical geometry of the watch, the subtle differences in the case, and the overall appearance of the watch. We wanted to address this and went all the way in. This journey started about a few several months before us launching AMF when we were offered a full genuine case set and shared it with our customer who loved it and it is completed only last week with the final screw going in just now as the bracelet arrived. The sourcing of the gen parts took a long time, and cost above the originally planned budget, but is all worth the while at the end to us. The parts were ordered from very reliable and resourceful sources we have been working with for a long time.

Parts used, all brand new:

1. Gen Dial

2. Gen Tachy

3. Gen hands set, all 6 hands

4. Gen complete 3126/3840 caliber with cyclop, gen modern font datewheel and rotor

5. Gen midcase, bezel, plots and caseback

6. Gen crown and pushers

7. Gen gaskets, seal set for AP ROO

8. Gen connecting screw set

9. Gen crystal

10. Gen bracelet

11. Rep lug screw

The work, as you can imagine, is relatively simple after all the parts arrive and are inspected and check to be good.. One point we want to highlight is that this is a regular production H serial gen case set, and not a factory reject or prototype etc., which are a lot easier to obtain as they come up here and there.. This mean that the case set is identical to the ones sold by AP through their boutiques, and the serial number is actually one which is in the AP records. We believe that details other than the watch parts need to be taken care of in such a project. The watch needs for example to be able to be scrutinised thorough through any way. This is something which some other gensteins cannot do due to the discrepancy correctness between the case set and caliber used. It was never an option for the owner to go with anything else than the full correct gen movement in all its parts from every screw to every gear and we managed to get exactly this. We are very happy to have been able to work on this project and source everything. Understanding the root of such a luxury watch is important, and we spare no effort in getting this established. So you get not just a watch which is 100% built from gen AP parts, but an ownership experience unlike any other because of the history of the watch. Owning a watch like this is not just about the parts used, but more importantly, about the experience and connection as owner.

j12Q4P.jpg

j12lgW.jpg

j12CmS.jpg

j12PPQ.jpg

j12kt8.jpg

j12wNK.jpg

j12T0L.jpg

j12deR.jpg

Thanks so much, Megan! Your posts inspire me!

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
OP, is it possible that you could tell BUFF to make a buff custom dial for 5167A (Patek aquanaut). Thanks a million!