• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Offshores

Yellobird

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/15
Just stumbled upon this pic

And my initial thoughts? Wow they are bad. The square datefont, the overall quartz-bad-replica look of the date window.

The symmetrical subdial layout also looks horrible now that we got so used to Offshore with secs at 12 subdial being closer to the hand stack than all the other subdials.

And the secs at 6. Nah.

What do you guys think?

Reactions: asanibal and stowee

Swiss_goupil

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
Funny how they managed to make a new gen resemble a bad rep of a ROO from like 20 years ago so much

Perfect gift for the rep industry. We might have rep that are better than gen (and less expensive to maintain) lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Evolution.

The modular sec@12 movement has been in use for close to 30 years already and it’s high time AP moves on to have an integrated chrono movement, and makes changes to refresh the product line to maintain interest, and like all luxury goods, progress based on planned obsolescence to keep the orders coming.

Aesthetics wise, I think it’s just another thing which people will grow used to. Rep will be rep and gen will be gen, that is a chasm which will never be bridged when it comes to value of the watches. So honestly, even if the rep looks like the gen perfectly, the gen will always retain its value and that is what luxury watch ownership is really about: not just the looks and functions of a watch (which the rep can give to a large degree) but also the provenance, worth and history of the brand and model, which is something only gen watch ownership can provide.

I agree that this new series of offshores can be easier replicated than the older ones. This will benefit owners who want the novelty of wearing an accurate looking replica watch without spending money on the gen, but the gen collectors will still buy the gen no matter how radical the new designs look and how much he complains about it.

I like the progression in the brand myself and will like to buy one of these when I have the chance to. The changes in the design and details do take some getting used to, but look at how the once loathed 15500 elevated. This series of offshores will be like that for the loyalists of the brand.

Thank you for sharing and I appreciate the pics.

lagp11

Horology Curious
30/4/20
Evolution.

The modular sec@12 movement has been in use for close to 30 years already and it’s high time AP moves on to have an integrated chrono movement, and makes changes to refresh the product line to maintain interest, and like all luxury goods, progress based on planned obsolescence to keep the orders coming.

Aesthetics wise, I think it’s just another thing which people will grow used to. Rep will be rep and gen will be gen, that is a chasm which will never be bridged when it comes to value of the watches. So honestly, even if the rep looks like the gen perfectly, the gen will always retain its value and that is what luxury watch ownership is really about: not just the looks and functions of a watch (which the rep can give to a large degree) but also the provenance, worth and history of the brand and model, which is something only gen watch ownership can provide.

I agree that this new series of offshores can be easier replicated than the older ones. This will benefit owners who want the novelty of wearing an accurate looking replica watch without spending money on the gen, but the gen collectors will still buy the gen no matter how radical the new designs look and how much he complains about it.

I like the progression in the brand myself and will like to buy one of these when I have the chance to. The changes in the design and details do take some getting used to, but look at how the once loathed 15500 elevated. This series of offshores will be like that for the loyalists of the brand.

Thank you for sharing and I appreciate the pics.

Hey legend can you check your inbox plz ????????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
dial already on the bay. looks like a Cyclops sits over the date.
would need a new movement to get that high sitting date?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234273302594

Love the fact that they reverted to the classic ROO hands and are those rubber pushers and crown? Nice nods to the offshore heritage.

I personally dislike the ring around the date window and the fact that the date window is now touching the tachy. But it is what it is regardless of my preference lol.

Am surprised the new dial is available on eBay already. Must be some shoddy inventory control by the AP service center. I wonder what movement and datewheel one can use if the dial is purchased?

Reactions: Allure

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
positives for rep community: date window position, crown same height as pushers.

someone from AP requested a new movement that doesn't have a generic. not seen anything with sec@6, 30min@9 and 12@12. possible candidate if you do not use the chrono would be IWC caliber 69375. unknown alignment of sub hands and date?

asanibal

Renowned Member
19/10/08
ab545fe2f007e5aa4c83b89bd1c8d301.png

Same seller,… are we going crazy??

Darkimplicates

Renowned Member
25/9/16

Not to mention the new 43mm (if I’m not wrong) models having higher crown similar to reps, the biggest tell tale of a rep is now on the newer gens.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Not to mention the new 43mm (if I’m not wrong) models having higher crown similar to reps, the biggest tell tale of a rep is now on the newer gens.

This is due to the new integrated chronograph movement, instead of the traditional modular stacked one.
It is a technical upgrade, despite the model losing endearing characteristics which we have all come to know and love. Like all things the brand and its models must evolve in spite of our preferences.