• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP ROSE GOLD going bad. Looks faded or chipped. NEED HELP!

ardg12

Horology Curious
7/8/14
Hello All,

I purchased a Franken AP RG watch for a few thousand dollars from one of the members here. I have been using the watch as a daily outing for dinners, and etc.

I noticed that parts of the bezel and sides have lost the RG color, like fading or chipping away.

How can I correct this? Can I send it anywhere? HELP PLEASE!!!!! I SPENT TOO MUCH ON THIS WATCH

um52

Known Member
Certified
11/4/12
Hello All,

I purchased a Franken AP RG watch for a few thousand dollars from one of the members here. I have been using the watch as a daily outing for dinners, and etc.

I noticed that parts of the bezel and sides have lost the RG color, like fading or chipping away.

How can I correct this? Can I send it anywhere? HELP PLEASE!!!!! I SPENT TOO MUCH ON THIS WATCH

Is this the watch you are speaking of?
https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...ber-clad-built-by-dmuit-flying-tommy-like-new

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
ANY plating will fade eventually. There is no such thing as a permanent or perfect plating. Different environments also affect the rate of wear and tear.

The only solution is to get your watch replated but do note that it will still fade or wear ultimately. If you cannot handle this, it is best to stay off plated watches. There is no modder here who can provide you with a lifetime guarantee for plating done on any watch sir.

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy

Holy crap 800€ for plating a case and clasp.
I’ve done everything wrong in my life lol

It’s just as legend said. There is no such a thing as a plating who doesn’t fade. Gold plated watches must be worn with proper care, kept clean and possibly not as daily wearers.
Personal aspects like environment and sweat chemical composition plays a huge role in duration.

Last edited:
Reactions: Karbon74 and legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Holy crap 800€ for plating a case and clasp.
I’ve done everything wrong in my life lol

It’s just as legend said. There is no such a thing as a plating who doesn’t fade. Gold plated watches must be worn with proper care, kept clean and possibly not as daily wearers.
Personal aspects like environment and sweat chemical composition plays a huge role in duration.

We have guys here touting RG plating done by a specific plater is gen-like color. In reality, I have not seen a single example of a rose gold plated AP which looks like it has the AP finish or quality. We do get a decent replication of the gen RG color and finish but there is no 1:1 of it at all, so I prefer nobody to claim that. It takes more than a picture to show the quality of the plating but even the best of the best will fall short of gen RG standards not because of the incompetence of the modder but because gold is gold anf steel is steel. RG plated gold is still steel let’s not forget otherwise. I think I’m qualified to comment because I do own gen RG
APs and I’ve handled plated RG APs as well. The two are worlds apart in terms of heft, finish, and tone under different lighting. The color may be “close” but let’s not forget that due to different exposures to light and heat and minerals and ageing even 2 gen RG watches can look drastically different side by side.

I cannot comment on the price but let’s just say that anyone paying that amount for something which will eventually wear, isn’t spending his money wisely where the value of the entire watch goes. There is nothing magical or special about RG plating done by anyone. Take said watch off the wrist and the missing heft will always be a tell even if the color looks “right”.

I will recommend said watch be sent to you Nikz19 to have it fixed. All plating are imperfect but I think that you can charge a more decent amount for it.

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
Hello All,

get in touch with the guys that plated the watch and give them to chance to fix the situation. plating can delaminate if the surface has contaminants.
the original owner paid big bucks for the plating and would expect some type of warranty provided it wasn't scratched?

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
We have guys here touting RG plating done by a specific plater is gen-like color. In reality, I have not seen a single example of a rose gold plated AP which looks like it has the AP finish or quality. We do get a decent replication of the gen RG color and finish but there is no 1:1 of it at all, so I prefer nobody to claim that. It takes more than a picture to show the quality of the plating but even the best of the best will fall short of gen RG standards not because of the incompetence of the modder but because gold is gold anf steel is steel. RG plated gold is still steel let’s not forget otherwise. I think I’m qualified to comment because I do own gen RG
APs and I’ve handled plated RG APs as well. The two are worlds apart in terms of heft, finish, and tone under different lighting. The color may be “close” but let’s not forget that due to different exposures to light and heat and minerals and ageing even 2 gen RG watches can look drastically different side by side.

I cannot comment on the price but let’s just say that anyone paying that amount for something which will eventually wear, isn’t spending his money wisely where the value of the entire watch goes. There is nothing magical or special about RG plating done by anyone. Take said watch off the wrist and the missing heft will always be a tell even if the color looks “right”.

I will recommend said watch be sent to you Nikz19 to have it fixed. All plating are imperfect but I think that you can charge a more decent amount for it.

Period.

This is what I try to explain to all the customers asking me for “gen like color plating”.
You can have your watch plated with proper 18k gold, anyway everyone will look slightly different. Especially given the fact different rep makers use different “plating” composition, and the base makes a lot of difference to the ending result. Plating plain steel will dish out a different color than plating on a previously plated surface.

Sometimes it doesn’t even stick, making necessary polishing the whole thing to steel (SUPER time consuming)

Reactions: Karbon74 and legend

Steve McGarrett

Known Member
Patron
Certified
8/3/18
Do you have the possibility to post photos?

Is it not also dependent on the micron thickness of the coating? Normal are probably 3 - 4 microns, better are 6 - 7 microns and good should be around 10 microns.

The watch you bought is wonderful in itself, a great piece. I think you could wear the watch in a steel look with the parts you have.

So you probably have 3 options-

- wear it as it is - probably the worst solution, because the optics will get worse and worse.

- recoat- but as legend writes, no guarantee in the long run - and you will look more often and consider on what occasions you wear the watch gently - 2nd worst solution.

- I would have the watch disassembled due to the many gen parts, and the gold-plated parts carefully sandblasted and re-brushed. Then the watch is in steel optics though, has the right weight and they can enjoy the great piece.

The latter is the most unconventional solution, but probably the most permanently effective solution.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
- I would have the watch disassembled due to the many gen parts, and the gold-plated parts carefully sandblasted and re-brushed. Then the watch is in steel optics though, has the right weight and they can enjoy the great piece.

The latter is the most unconventional solution, but probably the most permanently effective solution.

This will essentially transform the watch into a fantasy model, but you're right, it will resolve the gold plating issue permanently because the gold plating does not exist anymore lol.
All AP frankens are flawed both visually, but gold plated AP frankens add the unavoidable risk of the fading or marring of the gold plating. Franken AP watches are meant to be fun novelties to wear, and cheap (comparative to the gen) but it is not so fun anymore when issues like this arise.

Reactions: Allure

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
Hello All,

just saw the post. just to clarify this briefly. plating cost the user € 550, the rest of the costs were incurred by Domi.
The sales description is not exactly clarified.

It is difficult to give a guarantee as there are simply too many factors influencing plating.

I dealt with materials science very deeply warming my engineering degree.

the biggest problem with rose gold is salts.

Salt like bathing in the sea or sweating profusely. Yellow gold is much less sensitive, this is due to the fact that rose gold has a copper content and this forms a connection with salt. therefore I advise each of my customers not to go swimming in the sea with the watch and to rinse it off with clear water and dry it after a sweaty wear.

the post creator can contact me and send me photos.
the watch should not yet show such heavy wear. I have too many watches and parts are gold-plated.
I think when I look at the photos from the sale that the watch has not just been polished more than once. nevertheless I will re-gild the parts free of charge.
I experienced a similar case from a user who assured me that he did not carry it in the sea.

When Domi dismantled the watch however, conclusive, evidence was shown;)
later he admitted to having been in the sea several times with the watch . the rose gold has discolored and he then polished it heavily ...... as I said, it's all a question of communication. annoying for the current buyer, but I am happy to assist. please contact me directly.

and as Alvin described, many Gen watches have different gold hues. When I picked up my Ghost from Switzerland, the dealer had 2 RGRC ROO‘s of different ages in the store. one was a very beautiful rose gold. the other looked almost like yellow gold. I was more than amazed. I have to see if I can find the photos.

Last Project finished for 3 weeks.

28361525d174cbf3ec717a479b5da7db.jpg

ca13c6d8c1953e4f16cf5842d86f8550.jpg

b9345d6875f318b02e24b6782f70ad22.jpg

cc6abf242c366b81b46628740bec6a21.jpg

0ca89ac57d1a55ead86d1141e1d01068.jpg

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Plating is not easy. And like all other mods in this hobby it’ll never be perfect, but it doesn’t have to be. Plating serves to give owners a visual appreciation of their rose gold pieces and I think that the color of your plated watches are good enough @flying_tommy. You can say it looks the same as a specific gen watch but as you well know there is no such thing as THE gen RG color. Even brand new, there can be color variances between 2 RG pieces. When used, the color variances are a lot more.

To owners who want to plate your watches please be aware that it likely won’t be a permanent effect, and that the color will change depending on your environment, just like the gen. The plating will need maintenance like movement servicing. The plating vendor shouldn’t be blamed for the color change or fading. It is the way it is and it will need maintenance. Even the gen RG cases will change color and will need maintenance in similar ways.

Watchfan12b

Known Member
1/7/23
Bulgaria
Hi guys, I know that it is an old thread but wanted to ask everyone is there a person that is recommended by RWI to make a replating with rg on a watch and that is in Europe. I know that nickz is the best but he doesnt do rg anymore. Will be very happy if someone can help with this.

Winni1611

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
15/10/22
Germany
Hi guys, I know that it is an old thread but wanted to ask everyone is there a person that is recommended by RWI to make a replating with rg on a watch and that is in Europe. I know that nickz is the best but he doesnt do rg anymore. Will be very happy if someone can help with this.
Asked the same question and the only ond doing this is in US :cry:

Reactions: Watchfan12b