• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

V6 what AP are you wearing today?

Anonray

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
8/10/18
z33EGR.jpg

H S

Smuggler
Patron
Certified
10/6/21
USA
I’m seriously considering picking one up. I usually don’t buy reps that don’t function as per gen but this is the only option for the ROC. Have you had the opportunity to handle a ZF Royal Oak? If so, how does the OMF compare in terms of fit and finish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not owned the ZF.

JonathanLing91

Renowned Member
18/1/20
If you don’t buy reps which “do not function as per gen”, most AP reps do not qualify because there are aspects of each rep which do not function like the gen. None of them function 100% as per gen completely. Even the Royal Oaks have a slow ugly date change VS the instant one in the gen. This can be subjective but can I know which rep functions like the gen in your opinion? I know tolerances are different, but reps are reps and should be enjoyed as such. They will never be gen no matter how they function right?

I know the comparison of reps to gens is a topic you feel strongly about as I’ve seen you mention it many times before, I believe you and I have also touched upon this topic briefly in another thread, but in this instance I respectfully but wholeheartedly disagree. There’s a difference between a slow date change, and a date which doesn’t change at all, you know what I mean? Does an instantaneous date change affect the overall functionality of a Gen as compared to a rep? Imo, no it absolutely does not. That point stands in regards to what I’m trying to say about the OMF ROC. A ROC rep that has functioning subdials is still a Chronograph wristwatch and serves it purpose as such, regardless of whether it’s based on the 7750 or the beautiful FP1185. Now, the OMF which has two faux subdials undeniably does not function as per gen, and as a result doesn’t even qualify as a Chronograph imo.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I know the comparison of reps to gens is a topic you feel strongly about as I’ve seen you mention it many times before, I believe you and I have also touched upon this topic briefly in another thread, but in this instance I respectfully but wholeheartedly disagree. There’s a difference between a slow date change, and a date which doesn’t change at all, you know what I mean? Does an instantaneous date change affect the overall functionality of a Gen as compared to a rep? Imo, no it absolutely does not. That point stands in regards to what I’m trying to say about the OMF ROC. A ROC rep that has functioning subdials is still a Chronograph wristwatch and serves it purpose as such, regardless of whether it’s based on the 7750 or the beautiful FP1185. Now, the OMF which has two faux subdials undeniably does not function as per gen, and as a result doesn’t even qualify as a Chronograph imo.

Feel free to disagree, the forum is made up of opinions mostly, yours and mine included. In fact the greater the variety of opinions, the more to learn from.

For your criteria, it does make sense if you are strictly after replications with functions: timekeeping vs timekeeping, date function vs date, chrono vs chrono. All good.
For me, I go a little further, I care about how the functions perform: If the date change is instant in the gen, I need it instant in the rep. No conflict there. We all can live with different flaws and like I mentioned as long as you are happy with the watch, all good. I don't get to decide what you like in your watch.

sybariten

Puts the "ass" in classy
9/7/12
Sydney
Each time I see an EOD, it brings back very fond memories. Thank you for sharing.

One of Arnold Schwarzenegger's original prototypes (fully functional) that he wore during the filming of "End of Days" is coming up for auction in about a week.

Thought I'd mention it in case you're interested in adding a unique piece to the collection legend

More info here: https://www.phillips.com/detail/audemars-piguet/NY080222/125

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Last edited: