• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Aps 15400 super clone 3120mvt

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
Not necessarily true, take 3KF's 324 SC movement for example, when it initially came out the markings on the movement were stamped, now the markings are engraved like the gen. This was due in large part by complaints by our rep Patek Philippe fans. We can only hope that APS corrects their movement, if not now but maybe in later versions. Lets wait and see.

we can only hope for a fix. there was some rumor the 3KF movement was printed/engraved by a 3rd party so the fix was not by the movement maker. who knows the real truth?

Reactions: gilrob

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
The decor on the movement is reallllly bad. Reminds me of the 3KF super clone movement. All the potential is there just really bad execution.

Agree with you, but you know how the rep game is played one money-milking version at a time. There is simply no incentive for the rep factories to get it right the first time.

Reactions: Allure and gilrob

asuwere

2/6/19
The decor on the movement is reallllly bad. Reminds me of the 3KF super clone movement. All the potential is there just really bad execution.

I'd respectfully disagree about the execution from a business perspective. Segment your customer base and there are those that will happily buy these, those that will buy the next and better iteration, and those that will buy both. So sell to the first group right away. Manufacturing costs will be a little less and you'll reach the market faster. Then you can use the money generated by those sales to keep operations going and set up the next release.

theREALgoat

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
14/8/14

Agree with you, but you know how the rep game is played one money-milking version at a time. There is simply no incentive for the rep factories to get it right the first time.

Exactly. Comparing (badly) machined finished movements to hand finished movements will always lead to disappointment. It's cool to finally see a clone 3120, but unless new technology arises, we'll see cost saving measures present themselves as poor finishing. We should just be happy to see these run reliably.

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17

For a 500$ watch I don't find it so bad and definitely not worse than the 3kf Patek clone, at least this one is properly engraved

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
For a 500$ watch I don't find it so bad and definitely not worse than the 3kf Patek clone, at least this one is properly engraved

For a $500 watch, it is amazing, even if the movement plates are poorly finished. It is of course incomparable to the gen, but so is the cost.

Reactions: Allure

Bendori

2/5/16
For a $500 watch, it is amazing, even if the movement plates are poorly finished. It is of course incomparable to the gen, but so is the cost.

You could alaways refinish the bridges yourself or via a watchsmith.

Reactions: gilrob

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
You could alaways refinish the bridges yourself or via a watchsmith.

Of course I can. I can also rebrush the watch, refinish the case and bracelet edges, polish and align the bezel screws, silence the movement etc myself. A gen dial can be installed too if desired.

The comment was directed toward an out of box stock rep, and what it is VS the price.

Reactions: Allure

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
Sorry for my ignorance. What is the difference between clone and super clone movements in the rep world? Can this APS movement be regarded as a super clone despite the slow date change?

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
Sorry for my ignorance. What is the difference between clone and super clone movements in the rep world? Can this APS movement be regarded as a super clone despite the slow date change?

There is none, it's just marketing gimmick. It's either a clone or it's not. In this case the 3120 is supposed to be a clone but at the same time it doesn't have the quick date change so we're wondering why not, but I don't think any modder has had their hands on one yet. It looks like it could be highly based on a gen movement but with some parts that would differ, which would explain this discrepancy

Sammy313

WANKER
MULTI ACCOUNT
1/8/21
APS dial is actually terrible compared to JF and ZF. The squares are too small and not flat enough.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Those are just different names given to clone movements. There is no benchmark for any movement to be called "super clones", and this is largely a subjective marketing term.
The A4130 movement, 3K 324 movement and now APSF clone 3120 movement, are all clone movements in that they are constructed like the gen, and not based on existing movement bases like the Miyota 9015 or any of the ETA variants.

tiziano23

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/10/19
Is there any info that APS movement would accept gen parts like bridges or balance?