• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Please help a noob.

TTBHG

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/10/20
Good afternoon,

I’m fairly new to the rep watch scene but I’m completely new to AP. I have a white dial ZF 15500 on order thru Hont that will be here this week. It just cleared customs on the way to my house. I’d like to do some mods to make it a really nice watch. I don’t particularly want to spend multiple thousands of dollars on gen parts. What would you recommend to me that I should do for improvements? Below is a link to the watch on the way.

https://imgur.com/a/nJOXefS

Additionally, I’ve seen legend listed as a go-to person for AP. I reached out to him yesterday but he’s in Singapore so I’m not sure I want to immediately ship my watch back across the seas as soon as it arrives. Any suggestions for someone in the US that does good work on AP would be great!

Thanks for your time!!

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Additionally, I’ve seen legend listed as a go-to person for AP. I reached out to him yesterday but he’s in Singapore so I’m not sure I want to immediately ship my watch back across the seas as soon as it arrives. Any suggestions for someone in the US that does good work on AP would be great!

I think I wish to take a bit of time to clear up the misconception here:

1. I do not regard myself as THE guy to go to for AP mods. I am one of the modders here who can do the job. Unlike that instagram chap on the perpetual calendar thread, there are no trade secrets or proprietary techniques used in most of the AP mods. Its simply different levels and styles of dedication and worksmanship. My work is simply more prolific here compared with the others when it comes to AP work, that is all. Other modders are equally capable of doing the work and I am pretty certain that in some cases, they can do it better. Such is the nature of working on watches by hand. They can never be 100% consistent.

2. You DO NOT need to mod AP reps to be happy with them. A lot of guys wear them stock and couldn't be happier. I agree with GGEuroHEADSHOT there in his statement, just enjoy the watch for what it is first. Mod it later if you really want to, but you strictly do NOT have to. The ZF 15500 is a wonderful rep. It is very enjoyable out of the box for the price and quality of the build.

3. Above all, enjoy the hobby for what it is and remember that no rep watch will turn gen magically no matter the talent of the modder. If the watch pleases you, then it is a good watch.

TTBHG

17/10/20
I think I wish to take a bit of time to clear up the misconception here:

1. I do not regard myself as THE guy to go to for AP mods. I am one of the modders here who can do the job. Unlike that instagram chap on the perpetual calendar thread, there are no trade secrets or proprietary techniques used in most of the AP mods. Its simply different levels and styles of dedication and worksmanship. My work is simply more prolific here compared with the others when it comes to AP work, that is all. Other modders are equally capable of doing the work and I am pretty certain that in some cases, they can do it better. Such is the nature of working on watches by hand. They can never be 100% consistent.

2. You DO NOT need to mod AP reps to be happy with them. A lot of guys wear them stock and couldn't be happier. I agree with GGEuroHEADSHOT there in his statement, just enjoy the watch for what it is first. Mod it later if you really want to, but you strictly do NOT have to. The ZF 15500 is a wonderful rep. It is very enjoyable out of the box for the price and quality of the build.

3. Above all, enjoy the hobby for what it is and remember that no rep watch will turn gen magically no matter the talent of the modder. If the watch pleases you, then it is a good watch.

You might not regard yourself in such a way but I researched enough and read enough posts that others do. Which is why I reached out to you via PM. Had I known where you were located before my watch shipped I would’ve just had it sent straight to you.

Regardless, it appears that this was a dead request for help so I’ll move along.

GGEuroHEADSHOT

Renowned Member
Supporter
21/8/21
Canada
Regardless, it appears that this was a dead request for help so I’ll move along.

The man reached out and responded to you, writing a full post and giving his honest opinion of what you should do. This comes from his background knowledge and years spent in this ecosystem, trying to pass you down some wisdom.

And this is your response? WTF?

Somebody grab me a bottle of baby powder

giphy.gif

Last edited:

TTBHG

17/10/20
The man reached out and responded to you, writing a full post and giving his honest opinion of what you should do. This comes from his background knowledge and years spent in this ecosystem, trying to pass you down some wisdom.

And this is your response? WTF?

Somebody grab me a bottle of baby powder

giphy.gif

I reached out to him before I made this thread after researching. He was more than willing to offer suggestions if I was willing to send my watch to Singapore. I was not. Once I made a thread looking for opinions and recommendations; the watch is great and it doesn’t need anything and I should just enjoy it.

So, yanno, i’ll move along since he offered an amazing amount of advice after his years in the ecosystem. He’s more than willing to post screenshots of our conversation if he’d like. ;)

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
@ttbhg
@ggeuroheadshot

No harm done at all. I think ttbhg sent a PM asking about mods and for whatever reason, chose not to go through with it. It’s pretty normal and there was no negative feelings of any kind created.

I’m happy he has decided to wear the watch as it is, it’s a good watch and a good decision.
There’s no need to prove anything here, I don’t even see any issue of contention lol.

All good guys.

TTBHG

17/10/20
@ttbhg
@ggeuroheadshot

No harm done at all. I think ttbhg sent a PM asking about mods and for whatever reason, chose not to go through with it. It’s pretty normal and there was no negative feelings of any kind created.

I’m happy he has decided to wear the watch as it is, it’s a good watch and a good decision.
There’s no need to prove anything here, I don’t even see any issue of contention lol.

All good guys.

I certainly do not have any hard feelings. I would love to use your services in the future. However, I didn’t find you until after this watch was already shipped. I’ve been waiting almost a month for it to get to the US. I just did not want to put it right back in the mail and send it back across the world again. That was why I was looking for recommendations on the most common upgrades and a US based modder.

Cheers, buddy.

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I certainly do not have any hard feelings. I would love to use your services in the future. However, I didn’t find you until after this watch was already shipped. I’ve been waiting almost a month for it to get to the US. I just did not want to put it right back in the mail and send it back across the world again. That was why I was looking for recommendations on the most common upgrades and a US based modder.

Cheers, buddy.

It always makes sense to first look for a modder in your own locality I agree. And it is also good if you can fist wear the watch and see which aspect you will like improved.
Sending the watch immediately out to me across the world does not make sense I agree. Do keep in touch and if there is anything I can help you with, just reach out.

Reactions: Allure

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
TTBHG - Given the fact that you haven't seen your new watch yet, I'd say just enjoy it as is for a while - it looks like a nice rep from the picture. You may be very pleasantly surprised with how the 15500 feels and 'sparkles' on the wrist right out of the box.

It is a hassle shipping watches across the world for modifications and I have to say from my experience, the results are not always worth the effort or costs. I've spent $$$ on 'full services' previously only to have the movement fail after 6 months. It is what it is with reps and busy modders.

PM me if you need a contact for someone in the US who can properly service and perform certain mods.