• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Newly into AP - what’s worth spending money on?

pixel_junkie

Renowned Member
28/1/12
Conus
Hi all, before all, apologies for my complete ignorance and I appreciate all your help in advance.

AP was never of interest to me until now. Decided to take the plunge with a ZF 15703 as an intro piece to AP.

Recently saw a Dark Knight in the FS section and now I want a chrono.

What is available and worth buying at this time. i see JF has several models out. Are those any good?

Again, sorry for my complete “newbness” in the AP world!

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
It’s no problem at all. Threads like this often branch out to several other interesting questions like the specific models to choose etc.

Worth Is highly subjective but if you like the looks of AP watches it’s a good start. What’re you looking for in a watch? Presence? Color? Material? Try the royal oak, offshore and diver and see what fits your wrist best.

If you can detail what you’re looking for more specifically the guys will be able to help you out more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure

pixel_junkie

Renowned Member
28/1/12
Conus
It’s no problem at all. Threads like this often branch out to several other interesting questions like the specific models to choose etc.

Worth Is highly subjective but if you like the looks of AP watches it’s a good start. What’re you looking for in a watch? Presence? Color? Material? Try the royal oak, offshore and diver and see what fits your wrist best.

If you can detail what you’re looking for more specifically the guys will be able to help you out more.

Well, you happen to be the seller on RG that sold a Dark Knight maybe just days ago :) I like THAT watch. May go with a more toned down version like a Safari but is this stuff still available from the TDs? Much appreciate your reply!

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Well, you happen to be the seller on RG that sold a Dark Knight maybe just days ago :) I like THAT watch. May go with a more toned down version like a Safari but is this stuff still available from the TDs? Much appreciate your reply!

Everything is still available from the TD but from factories to dealer and dealers to shippers, the process is a lot slower now due to strict checks and raids and such. You just have to be patient.

The dark knight to me is the quintessential ROO. It’s versatile, robust with the ceramic bezel and SS case, and colors make it easy to match with anything. ROOs are about character, color, sportiness and presence and it has it all. Try it and you’ll see what I mean. It’s the one I’ll recommend for you if you’re starting out on an ROO.

pixel_junkie

Renowned Member
28/1/12
Conus
Everything is still available from the TD but from factories to dealer and dealers to shippers, the process is a lot slower now due to strict checks and raids and such. You just have to be patient.

The dark knight to me is the quintessential ROO. It’s versatile, robust with the ceramic bezel and SS case, and colors make it easy to match with anything. ROOs are about character, color, sportiness and presence and it has it all. Try it and you’ll see what I mean. It’s the one I’ll recommend for you if you’re starting out on an ROO.

Thank you so much. Already inquired with Li.

Tompa

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
JF are closed so i think its hard to get a watch from them now. But i wish you the best of luck!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Angryboai

Known Member
13/8/21
If you're into the Royal Oak design then I highly recommend the 15400 or the 15202 by ZF Factory. I've recently purchased the 15202 and I'm very impressed by the quality of the watch.
The only flaw with the watch maybe the size of the hand base but tbh it's not really noticable in normal distance.

pixel_junkie

Renowned Member
28/1/12
Conus
JF are closed so i think its hard to get a watch from them now. But i wish you the best of luck!

When I was ordering the Diver 10 days ago, both the JF and ZF versions were available. Are you saying JF are closed permanently?

Tompa

Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
When I was ordering the Diver 10 days ago, both the JF and ZF versions were available. Are you saying JF are closed permanently?

I was talking to trusty(TD) yesturday and tried to order a JF bezel But he said JF is closed so its not possible to order from them.. dont know if its just now due to the raids or if its permanent closed, we can just wait and see.. i realy hope they opend again soon

lordswolf

Horology Curious
17/7/21
I was talking to trusty(TD) yesturday and tried to order a JF bezel But he said JF is closed so its not possible to order from them.. dont know if its just now due to the raids or if its permanent closed, we can just wait and see.. i realy hope they opend again soon

Super worrying this

DerpyOfficer

DerpiestOfWatchmakers
Patron
Certified
8/2/20

Been waiting for a 44 ceramic roo from them. They have been closed for about a month now. But according to Andrew, he can still contact them, so I would say that's at least a good sign.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tompa

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
hi OP, how much of a compromise can you go down to when you are eyeing a Royal Oak Offshore ? I know it might not resonate as a valid question to you, but the one who's writing these words, is one who had probably more than 20 ROOs. I find them beautiful watches, with a story, a legacy and a design I wanted to have on my wrist. Pursuing the happiness of gen-likeness I spent an obscene amount of money before realizing you are not going to reach that level unless you go the franken route and still fall short of it quite a bit (but at least with a credible, verosimile alternative to gen)

It still incredibly baffles me how far the stock ROOs are from their gen counterpart: imagine a daytona with subdials spaced wrongly, or a bezel with a totally dhgate-worthy font, thick as a puck and priced well over >600USD. Madness if you think about it.

Yeah took me a while

TL;DR: zf 15400 or 15500 are great, 15202 is my favorite but needs a bit of work. ROOs ? Go for 44mm if wrist allows.

Tompa

Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
hi OP, how much of a compromise can you go down to when you are eyeing a Royal Oak Offshore ? I know it might not resonate as a valid question to you, but the one who's writing these words, is one who had probably more than 20 ROOs. I find them beautiful watches, with a story, a legacy and a design I wanted to have on my wrist. Pursuing the happiness of gen-likeness I spent an obscene amount of money before realizing you are not going to reach that level unless you go the franken route and still fall short of it quite a bit (but at least with a credible, verosimile alternative to gen)

It still incredibly baffles me how far the stock ROOs are from their gen counterpart: imagine a daytona with subdials spaced wrongly, or a bezel with a totally dhgate-worthy font, thick as a puck and priced well over >600USD. Madness if you think about it.

Yeah took me a while

TL;DR: zf 15400 or 15500 are great, 15202 is my favorite but needs a bit of work. ROOs ? Go for 44mm if wrist allows.

Could not say it better :) i totaly agree

Reactions: SuperLory

Martycus

Patron
Certified
1/10/14
CONUS

E ... you would've loved the dark knight that Legend recently listed.

pixel_junkie

Renowned Member
28/1/12
Conus

Li said they are indeed closed but also said they are building stock as we speak and to check back toward the end of the month. There is hope

Tompa

Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
Li said they are indeed closed but also said they are building stock as we speak and to check back toward the end of the month. There is hope

Sounds good! Lets hope. I hate this raid shit storm all over chinas rep industri

Reactions: pixel_junkie

Booonin

2/9/18
Angryboai Congrats on your ZF 15202 purchase! Also, thinking about it - would you mind telling what are the main differences between XF vs ZF? I read that XF “kind of” replicated the caliber

Angryboai

Known Member
13/8/21
Angryboai Congrats on your ZF 15202 purchase! Also, thinking about it - would you mind telling what are the main differences between XF vs ZF? I read that XF “kind of” replicated the caliber
According to my humble knowledge, ZF and XF are pretty close in term of good quality rep. I find the tapisserie on the ZF to be closer to gen while the XF seem to be slightly thinner.
The biggest tell imho is the size of the hand and the big circle in the center of the dial (it's noticable compare to the gen).
Few other minor flaws are the letters at the rotor in the back. But it's not a big problem to me.
I like the rep for what it is, but in the future I might try to contact legend for modding those flaws because I really enjoy the watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: halo3