• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Legend Strikes Again! ZF15500 Mods

Rollie4Life

28/7/19
Hi guys,

legend has done it again! Just received my new piece yesterday and have been awestruck since then.

I believe Legend really deserves an appreciation post, not that he needs it, as his work is just amazing.

I first saw the new dial mod he was working on to better match the dial colour on these models. I reached out and our journey began.

Now please note guys if you are going to work with Legend you need to understand he is a busy guy and not someone you treat as a TD. What I mean by that is you do not bust his balls for QC pics and general updates. He doesn’t control when he receives these pics, when he gets them he will send them to you. I’m an impatient guy and I didn’t understand these boundaries of respect from the onset. So please be patient if you work with Legend.

Now onto the watch the mods were as follows:

AP 15500
1. Royal Oak dial mod
2. Bracelet/case beveling + polishing
3. Polish and align bezel screws
4. Service rotor bearing assembly
5. Minor refinish of bezel and case surface

In person the finishes are much more obvious but the best way I can describe it is that the watch ascends to new heights of luxury. It feels and looks more luxurious.

The grey dial, was not something I was sure about but very glad I went with it. It is dynamic and sexy imo. Obviously Legends dial mod made the colour much nicer and closer to gen.

Now for pics. Hope you all enjoy.

jjHKBX.jpg
jjHzbI.jpg
jjHH5c.jpg
jjHjT4.jpg
jjHhRi.jpg
jjHAKb.jpg
jjHes5.jpg
jjHL9p.jpg
jjHUDF.jpg

Last edited:

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Superb example of legend 's skills again. Wear it in good health.

I agree the man deserves his own corner on here, not only has he great skills but he is also a wise guide fo many of us here.

Envoyé de mon SM-G991B en utilisant Tapatalk

jkrw247

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/21
hmm the AP logo on your dial seems to be a little slanted

Last edited:
Reactions: Ivvo

Rollie4Life

28/7/19
what does this dial mod entail. refinish the dial with satin lacquer?
the tapestry on the zf dial has a different profile to the gen and you lose the shape of the pimples between the taps with a lacquer coating. still nice but it's trading flaw for another imo.

https://hodinkee.imgix.net/uploads/i...Save-Data&alt=

Read up on the mod here:

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...sh-recolor-mod

Legend has a gen and does side by side comparisons.

IMO the biggest tell is the dial colour being way too dark.

QUOTE=legend;n8956890]Another shot in white lighting
545dfb48286594b421b0acb597375ed7.jpg

And a comparison of the bracelet link thickness.
654187028415dfb12d3034e3e0bf2ab1.jpg

I won’t say which is gen or rep, you guys always and forever can tell lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
what does this dial mod entail. refinish the dial with satin lacquer?
the tapestry on the zf dial has a different profile to the gen and you lose the shape of the pimples between the taps with a lacquer coating. still nice but it's trading flaw for another imo.

https://hodinkee.imgix.net/uploads/...t&usm=12&fit=crop&ch=Width,DPR,Save-Data&alt=

Thanks Garuda and you’re right, like some mods (for example) the tachy trim mod, or caseback trim (thereby changing the profile), the mod inevitably trades one flaw for another and it’s the owner’s choice to decide how he wants his watch to be. In this case the aim was aimed at lightening the grey color but due to the dial texture and surface finish, achieving a gen color and effect is impossible. In fact none of the mods, short of replacing the part with gen, is perfect. All serve as visual “band-aids” and the results are mostly subjective. I can say the same for any modded AP and even $5000 frankens.
So if OP enjoys his watch, it’s his prerogative. Both of us have been around for a long time and know the modding game pretty well sir. Let’s leave it at that. :legend:

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
In fact none of the mods, short of replacing the part with gen, is perfect. All serve as visual “band-aids” and the results are mostly subjective. I can say the same for any modded AP and even $5000 frankens.
So if OP enjoys his watch, it’s his prerogative. Both of us have been around for a long time and know the modding game pretty well sir. Let’s leave it at that. :legend:

Rollie4Life & Legend totally agree. Also one needs to look at the overall package rather than a specific part, so the case polish/mods, aligned screws etc will add to visuals (which the camera can never capture).

still lovely work and not easy to make mods to a dial without adding loads of dust particles. just shows how much prep and a clean environment you must have.

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Rollie4Life & Legend totally agree. Also one needs to look at the overall package rather than a specific part, so the case polish/mods, aligned screws etc will add to visuals (which the camera can never capture).

still lovely work and not easy to make mods to a dial without adding loads of dust particles. just shows how much prep and a clean environment you must have.

I secretly perform surgery as a sideline in the same room Garuda. Please don’t tell anyone :legend:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danid

Horology Curious
22/6/21
Beautiful piece there ! legend is definitely an artist and work speaks for it self .

so i am new to rep game but in such an awe of the finish and how close it is to the Gen for 1/30 th of the price.

i Can't wait to get mine ;) wear it in good health Mate

Reactions: Rollie4Life

Accord11

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
2/12/20
Read up on the mod here:

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...sh-recolor-mod

Legend has a gen and does side by side comparisons.

IMO the biggest tell is the dial colour being way too dark.

QUOTE=legend;n8956890]Another shot in white lighting
545dfb48286594b421b0acb597375ed7.jpg

And a comparison of the bracelet link thickness.
654187028415dfb12d3034e3e0bf2ab1.jpg

I won’t say which is gen or rep, you guys always and forever can tell lol

[/QUOTE]

Gen on the right.

Reactions: Rollie4Life

ADCJ

Known Member
Supporter
13/6/20
CONUS
What exactly does the beveling and polishing on the case and bracelet entail? I've seen several examples of Legend's magic, and it definitely looks awesome, but I have trouble putting my finger on exactly what's different.

Reactions: Tompa and j21

Fettekatze

Renowned Member
Certified
16/11/13
US
So the dial went from lighter than gen to darker than gen? Also looks like it removed the sunburst and all the tapisserie texturing.

Reactions: Tompa

Erinoush

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/19
UAE / EUROPE
OP, the finish on your watch is top of the notch....
Although Legend certainly did his best to match the color you were expecting, unfortunately the sunlight shot shown on top of this page are confirming again and again that the color is never the problem, but the texture is .....