• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ray-Ban Review

tommikeson

24/10/14
I thought I would try to contribute a bit with a review of Ray-Bans I purchased from a well-known seller (I'm not sure if I can share names in the post so PM me for his store). I can't do a pure one-to-one comparison because I purchased models that I didn't already own, so my review is more about the quality versus the real thing. I also apologize for the photos, it is difficult to shoot the sunglasses as they are reflective.

To compare, I took some photos of two authentic Ray-Ban wire pairs that I have. One pair is ~10 years old and the other is ~2. First off, there is little consistency between models. One pair has "flat head" screws while the other has "Phillips"; one pair is stamped "Made in Italy" and the other "Made in China"; both are authentic. If someone was to get specific comparing one authentic model to the same replica model, these small details may be a "tell", but they are hardly important in making a quality pair of sunglasses.

As for packaging, it is very close with the authentic package having a slightly brighter red logo. One box actually came with the sticker that has the model number and serial, while the other did not. Within the boxes, the little Ray Ban booklet was there as well. The cases have a slightly stiffer feel, but they are almost the same as the real ones. Again, little things that really don't matter.

As for the glasses, here are two authentic wire pairs.
edXg2ON.jpg

MRi8Fk7.jpg

Here is the rep pair. I can't see a difference.
Cy5VfnN.jpg

hWTzqLP.jpg

Here is a shot of one of my original pairs with a replica pair. I can't remember which is which, but I think the real ones were on top.
IDXxdnf.jpg

I have no idea which pair is which in this shot.
xKBv3iT.jpg

The nose bridges on Ray-Bans have "RB" stamped inside. The replicas were no different, the materials on the nose bridge seem exactly the same as well. The next thing that is worth mentioning is that the authentic ones had "RB" etched on the left lens; usually it can only be seen from inside. However, I have an authentic pair where I can vaguely see it on the front and a few other pairs where I can't. Again, no consistency. The replicas also had the etching. The white ear stem paint on the replicas was the same as the authentic paint. The only difference, the authentic ones always have the serial number stamped inside the nose bridge on the metal, the replica pair that I received does not have this.

As for quality and how well the lens blocks the sun, I can't tell a difference. The only lenses that I feel were of better quality were the pre-Luxotica Oakley lenses. But on the Ray-Bans, no difference between the replica and the authentic. I've bought countless Ray-Bans and Oakleys over the years, but after picking up some replicas, I'm not sure that there is any justification in buying authentic, especially when the replicas are $30 instead of $200.

I also picked up a pair for the Ray-Ban Blaze sunglasses, I couldn't beat them for the price. I have not idea how they compare to the authentic ones but something tells me that one would be a fool to purchase the authentic version. Take a look, they are pretty sharp but probably not for everyone.

UauLQGW.jpg

bPyg8Qn.jpg

d5cfKlO.jpg

Parabuteo

Patron, Salt and Lime
7/9/12
I thought I would try to contribute a bit with a review of Ray-Bans I purchased from a well-known seller (I'm not sure if I can share names in the post so PM me for his store). I can't do a pure one-to-one comparison because I purchased models that I didn't already own, so my review is more about the quality versus the real thing. I also apologize for the photos, it is difficult to shoot the sunglasses as they are reflective.

Here is the rep pair. I can't see a difference.
Cy5VfnN.jpg

hWTzqLP.jpg

Here is a shot of one of my original pairs with a replica pair. I can't remember which is which, but I think the real ones were on top.
IDXxdnf.jpg

I have no idea which pair is which in this shot.
xKBv3iT.jpg

The nose bridges on Ray-Bans have "RB" stamped inside. The replicas were no different, the materials on the nose bridge seem exactly the same as well. The next thing that is worth mentioning is that the authentic ones had "RB" etched on the left lens; usually it can only be seen from inside. However, I have an authentic pair where I can vaguely see it on the front and a few other pairs where I can't. Again, no consistency. The replicas also had the etching. The white ear stem paint on the replicas was the same as the authentic paint. The only difference, the authentic ones always have the serial number stamped inside the nose bridge on the metal, the replica pair that I received does not have this.

I am not following. If you don’t already own the model in question how did you do a comparison where you cannot tell yours from the rep?

I like Ray-Bans and have many...some bought off eBay and likely rep but also pretty indistinguishable from gen...my theory is since sunglasses are so simple and such a easy thing to replicate either the factories CAN approach the fabled 1:1 benchmark, OR- The factories commissioned to make Gen RB’s are just doing overruns and selling them out the backdoor.

tommikeson

24/10/14
I guess I was reporting more on the quality in comparison to the authentic ones. I had looked on YouTube and there are videos of people being very critical and trying to compare a specific model. My point was that there is a lot of variation between the glasses, I'm not personally hung up on whether or not a screw is a Phillips or not. Quality wise, I think you are correct. It is very likely that factories may just be making extras, it is too difficult to tell.

I used to wear Oakleys and I remember in the 90s, a fake pair was very cheap and you could easily tell that they were of lesser quality. So much manufacturing has moved to China, they now make the "real" products. I think we've seen the point where simple products like sunglasses are manufactured to the same standards as the authentic ones. Even if they aren't over-runs, you'll get the same quality for a fraction of the price. I guess what I'm really saying is, if you need some sunglasses, don't go to the Sunglass Hut.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
I guess I was reporting more on the quality in comparison to the authentic ones. I had looked on YouTube and there are videos of people being very critical and trying to compare a specific model. My point was that there is a lot of variation between the glasses, I'm not personally hung up on whether or not a screw is a Phillips or not.

Thanks. I try to review rep watches in the same manner. As long as the quality is good and the rep doesn’t look “off” or ugly then any specific variation to gen could conceivably be put down to gen batch variation.

Silvester

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/4/18
Thanks. I try to review rep watches in the same manner. As long as the quality is good and the rep doesn’t look “off” or ugly then any specific variation to gen could conceivably be put down to gen batch variation.

Where Did you buy them?

machim

19/7/17
I need a review for Louis Vuitton Sunglasses :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk