• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Tourbillon V2 OXF - The german symphony (Pictureheavy review)

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
I am still hoping the maker releases this in the RG handwerkskunst edition.

A.-Lange-Sohne-1815-Tourbillon-Handwerkskunst-7.jpg

Reactions: xpresso and BIONONE

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
The last Handwerkskunst was lacking the beautiful uniform straight grained finished of the numerals + Lange Logo and all the raised accents besides the hammered (?) recessed parts - that put the older version down in my eyes - as that is part of the beauty of this reference.

Hopefully there will be something comparable with the same attention to detail like on your 1815 Tourbillon. One can dream ;)

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
The last Handwerkskunst was lacking the beautiful uniform straight grained finished of the numerals + Lange Logo and all the raised accents besides the hammered (?) recessed parts - that put the older version down in my eyes - as that is part of the beauty of this reference.

Hopefully there will be something comparable with the same attention to detail like on your 1815 Tourbillon. One can dream ;)

Yeah mate. I agree. The last one didn’t have the level of detail. This one feels more detailed. So we can hope they release it.

Reactions: BIONONE

Arnie365

Known Member
7/4/19
Great review. Really loving your posts but you are costing me a lot of money lol. Really want to add an ALS and really want to add a tourbillon. Makes sense to combine the two after reading this!

Rainbowkin

Renowned Member
15/4/20
Geneve, China
Thanks buddy. I love the watch, but i am selling it because of another buy.

Hey man, thanks for all your help in the community. I have the black datograph rep (needs no introduction) coming to me shortly and am working on figuring out a strap for it. I think I am going with a black shell cordovan most definitely, but not sure about the stitching colors. I was thinking of getting white stitches - but the datograph rep dial is black dominated unlike the gen, would black stitch work better for it? What are the some rules for using either white or black stitch on a black leather strap? Thanks

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Hey man, thanks for all your help in the community. I have the black datograph rep (needs no introduction) coming to me shortly and am working on figuring out a strap for it. I think I am going with a black shell cordovan most definitely, but not sure about the stitching colors. I was thinking of getting white stitches - but the datograph rep dial is black dominated unlike the gen, would black stitch work better for it? What are the some rules for using either white or black stitch on a black leather strap? Thanks

You can do both mate. It would look nice with white stitching. Because you have a lot of white in there too. Will give it a little more sportiness. But a plain black would be very elegant. Personally i would've gone for a all black, dark grey or such. I also like to rotate using a burgundy color strap with my black dial watches. Gives a nice contrast.

The rep datograph on black strap :
5bcf122e118d7eaf2692df2f0c81ffc5.jpg

Rainbowkin

Renowned Member
15/4/20
Geneve, China
You can do both mate. It would look nice with white stitching. Because you have a lot of white in there too. Will give it a little more sportiness. But a plain black would be very elegant. Personally i would've gone for a all black, dark grey or such. I also like to rotate using a burgundy color strap with my black dial watches. Gives a nice contrast.

The rep datograph on black strap :
5bcf122e118d7eaf2692df2f0c81ffc5.jpg

I just grabbed some used gen gator strap with silver stitching off ebay. The strap has customized short length (working well for my slim wrist) so it was a cheapie compared to a used normal length one. Let's see how that will turn out.

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
jm_brc_7057 That rep could have been so good without the date window, additional pusher and with correct hour indices... off centered Sub dials are a nice feature which you dont see often on reps these days... Of course the case back would give it away but the face of the watch had potential.

Is this piece also one of your possessions, mate? :)

Reactions: XLR8R

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
jm_brc_7057 That rep could have been so good without the date window, additional pusher and with correct hour indices... off centered Sub dials are a nice feature which you dont see often on reps these days... Of course the case back would give it away but the face of the watch had potential.

Is this piece also one of your possessions, mate? :)

You are absolutely right mate, it's one of those "could've been great by very little effort", but didn't become so haha.

No, i ended up not buying it because of all the flaws.

Reactions: BIONONE

Allabouttime

Certified
27/4/20
Thanks so much for the review. Very insightful as I move closer to purchasing a Lange rep

Blaithin

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/8/19
So there are some flaws that weren't stated by the OP (love your reviews). One, in particular, that I feel should be added to his review because it is quite a significant detail that will impact the reader's decision to wait out an OXF V3 or jump on the OXF V2. This particular flaw concerns the placement of the pinion on the rep and gen, and actually explains why the second hand in the tourbillon HAS TO BE SHORTER. To OXF's credit, it was not a deliberate omission, but a concession due to the design of the tourbillon movement they used. It also probably explains why the dial needs to be much larger than gen.

Gen Tourbillon (Left photo) and Rep Tourbillon (Right photo):

Take note of the positioning of the pinion. It is NOT merged with the 12 o'clock of the second track whereas the rep's pinion is actually cut through the 12 o'clock portion of the second track meaning that a proper length second hand is not in the realm of possibility with the current tourbillon movement they're using, and any hopes of fixing this rep's most glaring flaws like the second hand length, the added depth, and even dial size are pretty close to impossible unless they find a stock tourbillon movement that has a thinner and smaller tourbillon. I think the OXF V2 is good enough, and that waiting for a "fixed" V3 is probably not a good idea. You'll just end up missing out on this pretty good rep in the end.

a-lange-sohne-1815-tourbillon-2.jpg
las2019122301-04.jpg

There are also some minor issues at play like the hour marker pad printing being noticeably thinner on the rep, and the second track being printed too thick compared to gen (it's obvious from a readability standpoint when looking at both pictures side-by-side). Tourbillon finishing is obviously no-contest (at least you got the tourby), and there are a couple of details that are completely wrong with the rep tourby, but shouldn't be obvious to someone who doesn't know what to look for. Another issue, I think is that the rep comes with white gold hallmarks rather than the Platinum hallmarks of the gen. I've looked around and this 1815 Tourb seems to only exist in platinum or rose gold. Could be that they mixed up the case hallmarks with a regular saxonia...same way they messed up the crown thickness because they probably lifted it off a Saxonia's design instead of the tourb's thinner crown.

All-in-all nothing to sweat about too much since the general gist is correct, and with only a few hundred of the gen in circulation..you probably won't find someone whose had a very close look at these in the wild.

Reactions: SuperBatman

Rainbowkin

Renowned Member
15/4/20
Geneve, China
Thanks for the review. It is a shame that these A. Lange reps are bigger than the gen. I am a huge A lange fan but have a small wrist. Wrapping a big chunk of metal might be fine on a big wrist, but it really destroys the elegance and aesthetic on a small wrist.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
I found this: https://trustytime.shop/index.php?ma...oducts_id=1406

As described by the TD, it is less bulky and smaller than some other reps, and a bit more pricy too. It is the only one below 40mm diameter (39mm) and 10mm thickness (9mm) on the website. Note the wg thick plate too. Anyone has any experience with it yet?

It’s a fantasy rep mate. There isn’t any Lange that is like this. It’s also not very beautiful to say the least(!).

And thanks. There aren’t any perfect Lange. I’m awaiting my ALS Saxonia Copper Blue. Will make a review when it arrives.

Last edited: