• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Tourbillon V2 OXF - The german symphony (Pictureheavy review)

Ulfred55

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/5/19
Thank you for the detailed review! ALS 1815 tourb has long been my grail watch and one I hope to own one day in gen. If the reps get any better than this (case size and thickness as you've mentioned) I will definitely have to get it! Although one would miss, arguably the best part of ALS, which is the finishing and actual zero-reset tourb.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Thank you for the detailed review! ALS 1815 tourb has long been my grail watch and one I hope to own one day in gen. If the reps get any better than this (case size and thickness as you've mentioned) I will definitely have to get it! Although one would miss, arguably the best part of ALS, which is the finishing and actual zero-reset tourb.

Thanks. Your welcome. The gen is incredible. I wouldn't buy it though, even if I could afford it (which I obviously cant) - or maybe I would if i had so much money that 150000usd was of no matter to me.
So for me it's a pleasure that they have made such a good rep.

Reactions: Ulfred55

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Here people the measurements. Better late than never.

Diameter is 41mm as mentioned:
20200113-201602.jpg

The thickness is 13,76mm, which is approx 2,5mm thicker than the gen. I measured it several times:
20200113-201631.jpg

But the thickness without the crystal is 12,36, 1,26mm thicker than the gen.
20200113-202056.jpg

Last edited:

KilowattHour

18/4/19
Thank you for this awesome review. As a happy V1 owner, I'm tempted to get this one, but a few things make me want to wait for one more version. I think that what irks me the most is that the tourbillion cutout hole goes under the hands. A shame, as it seems like they could have just made it a bit smaller to avoid this, and to also make it not go all the way to the bridge ends like it does now.
Tourbillion looks so nice on this new one though, that I can't help but debate whether I should get it :) Especially now that you said the dial has the same quality.
But one thing that makes me really hesitant to let go of my V1 is that it's made during the period where the rose gold plating that the rep makers used was just incredibly good, and rich looking. Some of the rose gold plated reps I've seen purchased in the years since (even including one 1815 V1 that a friend got) all had more copper-like not as rich color to the plating. Obviously, not something that affects the silver model that you have, but I simply prefer this watch in rose gold.

Last edited:

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Thank you for this awesome review. As a happy V1 owner, I'm tempted to get this one, but a few things make me want to wait for one more version. I think that what irks me the most is that the tourbillion cutout hole goes under the hands. A shame, as it seems like they could have just made it a bit smaller to avoid this, and to also make it not go all the way to the bridge ends like it does now.
Tourbillion looks so nice on this new one though, that I can't help but debate whether I should get it :) Especially now that you said the dial has the same quality.
But one thing that makes me really hesitant to let go of my V1 is that it's made during the period where the rose gold plating that the rep makers used was just incredibly good, and rich looking. Some of the rose gold plated reps I've seen purchased in the years since (even including one 1815 V1 that a friend got) all had more copper-like not as rich color to the plating. Obviously, not something that affects the silver model that you have, but I simply prefer this watch in rose gold.

Yeah mate. You are totally right about the rosegold plating- obviously I dont know about the 1815 tourbillon in RG - but two other reps I've bought, one has too much copper red color and the other doesn't have the deepness in the RG like if they made the layer too thin. While my ZF Calatrava 5296 and my 5975 are much better.

I agree. They could've made the tourbillon hole a little smaller. But it isnt a big deal I think. Also if you look at the tourbillon ends in the minute track in the V2 like gen. It doesn't do that in the V1. So there arguments for and against.

But the tourbillon looks great and dial is as good as the V1. Over all a lovely watch.

I was hoping for them to release the RG Handwerkskunst in the V2. If they do I will buy it.

Last edited:

Orlinski

This is the first watch that got me truly excited among reps.
I have zero interest in Rolex, AP or PP reps.
ALS has certain appeal and here we are as close as it is possible now.
Thank you for great review, which helped me not to buy it.
But your review raised my appreciation for ALS for sure in general.
I know it is rep world and I would gladly pay 5x current price for 11 mm thickness and correction of few mentioned dial related imperfectiions.
Not because to hint more of authenticity, but because of its DNA of perfection.
It is definitely to me the best rep and even though I have some reps almost indistinguishable from gens (PAM, Omega) ALS has some special magic of no other brand to my sense of aesthetic.
Hope someone will take step to make further refinement on 1815 rep.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
This is the first watch that got me truly excited among reps.
I have zero interest in Rolex, AP or PP reps.
ALS has certain appeal and here we are as close as it is possible now.
Thank you for great review, which helped me not to buy it.
But your review raised my appreciation for ALS for sure in general.
I know it is rep world and I would gladly pay 5x current price for 11 mm thickness and correction of few mentioned dial related imperfectiions.
Not because to hint more of authenticity, but because of its DNA of perfection.
It is definitely to me the best rep and even though I have some reps almost indistinguishable from gens (PAM, Omega) ALS has some special magic of no other brand to my sense of aesthetic.
Hope someone will take step to make further refinement on 1815 rep.

Thanks. Glad it helped you and glad it raised your interest in ALS as a brand. People have been waiting for the "near perfect" ALS rep for over a decade. I hope you have a lot of patience buddy. If you don't compromise, your in for a long wait. We are pretty far away from good reps of haute horlogorie brands.

Last edited:
Reactions: xpresso

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Thanks for posting this excellent review jm_brc_7057 - it's fantastic when the members here add this sort of detailed and carefully crafted content to the forum.

Now, short second hand or not, I really don't care - I have to get hold of one of these! :)

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Thanks for posting this excellent review jm_brc_7057 - it's fantastic when the members here add this sort of detailed and carefully crafted content to the forum.

Now, short second hand or not, I really don't care - I have to get hold of one of these! :)
Thanks mate. I hope you will enjoy it. It’s a great watch.

Dantona1984

6/2/17
England
Great write up, I for one appreciated it.

In my humble opinion I think a gorgeous tourbillon for £500 is worth every penny despite the minor/major flaws mentioned.

markiemark

Bracelet King
Patron
18/4/13
EU
F*ck this is nice. Could you tell me the lug width and buckle width? So I can order a strap up front hehe

Reactions: jm_brc_7057