• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Black Panther back in stock (Datograph)

rcom440

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/11/12
USA
I'd buy it too. I hope they will do it.
Many people prefer popular brands and sports watches. But a lot of people are waiting for good ALS models. Difficult to rep though because of the simplicity needs high quality finishing and attention to detail.
the JLC moon phase is very special because of the working moon. They didn't have that in the Saxonia Moon and it was too thick, the dial too dull which killed the hype and demand.

The quality of two AL&S reps I have is way better than any Rolex reps (ARF or Noob), or APs (JF).

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

rcom440

10/11/12
USA
Btw ZF JLC Master Ultra Thin MoonPhase is very nice but I think dial is too boring. I look at that dial and I have strange feeling that something is missing.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
The quality of two AL&S reps I have is way better than any Rolex reps (ARF or Noob), or APs (JF).

That's very interesting to hear... I hope the same factory does the ALS 1815 Chronograph. That would be a dream to have in the collection!

Regarding the JLC moon: I understand you. It's as with the gen. I rarely use mine, it's turning into a boxqueen.. I'll only keep it because of the working moonphase, which is perfect.

rcom440

10/11/12
USA
Update,
leather strap that Datograph came with give me rush that lasts a few days. I’m allergic to tlining that’s under the leather.
i don’t have that problem with my Lange Tourbilion strap.
i need to get a new croc strap.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Update,
leather strap that Datograph came with give me rush that lasts a few days. I’m allergic to tlining that’s under the leather.
i don’t have that problem with my Lange Tourbilion strap.
i need to get a new croc strap.

Sorry to hear that mate. Hope it's not giving you much trouble. I think these rep straps are too loaded with chemicals. Probably not good for anyone's health, without knowing for sure though. It's just an assumption, but i don't think the fabrication is much regulated against materials that shouldn't be used. Better to buy real alligator straps.

Last edited:

rcom440

10/11/12
USA
Sorry to hear that mate. Hope it's not giving you much trouble. I think these rep straps are too loaded with chemicals. Probably not good for anyone's health, without knowing for sure though. It's just an assumption, but i don't think the fabrication is much regulated against materials that shouldn't be used. Better to buy real alligator straps.

It’s just a strap and I love this each so much it deserves new custom made strap.
You know what you just gave idea, I will try to wash it with soap and with disinfecting solution and then see what happens. Maybe there is some chemicals on top of it - maybe some coating.
I have many reps that came with leather strap and non of them gives me any skin rash except for this one.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
It’s just a strap and I love this each so much it deserves new custom made strap.
You know what you just gave idea, I will try to wash it with soap and with disinfecting solution and then see what happens. Maybe there is some chemicals on top of it - maybe some coating.
I have many reps that came with leather strap and non of them gives me any skin rash except for this one.

I wouldn't recommend that mate. Maybe you are better off with using some other strap you have in reserve. Allergies can get worse by continuous exposure to the allergen. It can also sensitize you for other closely related chemicals (=as in molecular structure) if your skin keeps being exposed to the allergen. I don't believe you can wash the allergen completely off.

Last edited:

rcom440

10/11/12
USA
I wouldn't recommend that mate. Maybe you are better off with using some other strap you have in reserve. Allergies can get worse by continuous exposure to the allergen. It can also sensitize you for other closely related chemicals (=as in molecular structure) if your skin keeps being exposed to the allergen. I don't believe you can wash the allergen completely off.

I washed and sanitizers the strap but it didn’t help.
as soon as I put it on my stride I can feel itching.
ill get new strap.

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
rcom440

Just to clarify, the Datograph has been made in black dial with black subdials, as a piece unique for a special client...

3-F8-FBE6-E-0-D0-F-4-A67-B740-3718-F95-C743-E.jpg

I also did a photoshop on my old Datograph rep to see how it would look with correct white subdials...

E408-F9-BC-B638-4579-B8-E6-F03-D8-F90202-F.jpg

... I honestly don’t know why they haven’t corrected this flaw, it’s so simple and would make such a huge difference.

I’m pretty close to getting another one despite this flaw, I sold mine years ago and have missed it ever since. Considering it’s a 10 year old rep it’s unbelievable how good the quality is!

DC

Last edited:

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
... I honestly don’t know why they haven’t corrected this flaw, it’s so simple and would make such a huge difference.

I’m pretty close to getting another one despite this flaw, I sold mine years ago and have missed it ever since. Considering it’s a 10 year old rep it’s unbelievable how good the quality is!

DC
This is very interesting. I didn't know there was a black subdial one created on a special request.

I have considered it too. But i would've chosen the RG or SS models, as they are less flawed regarding the color combi of the subdials/date wheel is correct in these two. While in the black dial the date wheel is white (and subdials are black, which as you pointed out do exist as an exception).
But what has hold me back is that the gen is only 39mm, while the rep is 42mm. That's a big difference on the visuals and on the wrist.

fpi87

Known Member
3/11/20
Belgium
Black Panther was on my buy list for a long time then when I decided to buy it it was out of stock.

https://ibb.co/8NjH2BM] [/url]

a couple of weeks ago I contacted Toro, and YES Black Panther is now back in stock.
im actually surprised by the quality of this piece.

https://imgbb.com/] [/url]

all printing on the dial is nice and very crisp, Markers are aligned and they sparkle like polished white gold. Case construction is solid and it feels very smooth in touch - there is absolutely no sharp edges.
calendar fonts fit nicely in the windows - they are
100% centered. Crystal is pretty good too - it has slight blue hue.
Damn, Rolex reps (ARF, Noob or GMF) are not even close.
im positively surprised with this watch!

https://ibb.co/WsYXFWH] [/url]

Flaws, date windows should be larger - also black background - I think I’ve seen one gen version with white.
Larger case.
no xII at 12.
There are so many versions of Datograph it could be difficult to pint out flaws on the wrist. There is also one als that does look like Datograph and it does have xII at 12 (Forgot the name of this AL&S)

Hi, do you still have the black panther in your collection? if so, would you be able to tell me the lug-to-lug size please?

rcom440

10/11/12
USA
Hi, do you still have the black panther in your collection? if so, would you be able to tell me the lug-to-lug size please?

I sold it but It wears slightly bit larger that 40mm Rolex submariner.

Reactions: fpi87

rcom440

10/11/12
USA