• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New ALS Saxonia thin rep

Jaqueslepro

6/3/18
Now honestly... I know I am a picky guy indeed and am saving for a while now to get a 20k dreambeast one day, maybe the copper blue (in real life it will de a new heating or a car or some energetic upgrades for the house. Wtf let me keep the dream please).

And... I am ready to take compromise. Honestly. If you flip any superrep A Lange around, instantly it will be busted by the movement. So you could say... wtf... it doesnt matter if there is a perfect copy or a frog under the back saphire.

Still... an automatic movement. Seriously? And the perlage looks like made with a makita drillbit. This is so fucked up. I will buy it anyways maybe, or save for the gen.

Iwanted this so bad. I hate the world. Icecream! Now!!

Xabo

Known Member
27/3/19
Germany
To be honest, the Movement will always be a tell. But also the dial looks cheap, the colors are at least in the pictures far away from the original. We'll have to wait a bit longer.

Reactions: Asghar and vcappp

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Agree with you guys. It's a lovely rep but it's beyond understanding why they didn't put in a manual decorated movement in this like they've done with other ALS reps.

I'm still waiting for a good Lange rep. But you have to give it to Lange.
Their movements are simply too well made to be repped. I don't think we'll ever see a ALS super rep. As the finishing on the movement is impossible to rep. The materials used as for example the hue of the German silver and the handmade engraving are impossible to rep.

But if the rep is just without the obvious mistakes I could live with that.
Most obvious errors in ALS reps:

Saxonia Thin models:
- hands are too fat / length not correct
- logo spacing is off
- 9mm vs 6.2mm in gen
- automatic movement vs gen is manual

Saxonia moon phase:
- date dial is too small
- date dial is lower than in gen
- moon phase is a day/night indicator

1815:
- the "6" is 1/3 in gen and 2/3 in rep

1815 tourbillon:
- the tourbillon lacks a seconds hand

It's a pity as some of these errors could be fixed easily.

Reactions: vcappp and VIV54

Jaqueslepro

6/3/18
We need more pics for the blue copper. I am still tempted. Is there any dealer who offers this except puretime?

vsigala

3/10/18
Southern California
I would of been happy with a manual wind Copper Blue but that auto spinner is the deal breaker. I'll hold on to my 1815 until someone gets it right (not perfect but close)

F34924-E9-EA92-493-D-B626-107-FD95-D183-F.jpg

D834586-F-8-F42-4-E4-E-A906-3-DBB60-E0-CD24.jpg

Jaqueslepro

6/3/18
Your watch is a real beauty. The case shape is really ALS style. Unfortunately I own a nice gen marine chronometer that looks the same. Life is hard.

Maybe I buy both and swap the dial.... I guess hands wont fit though. Omg. This copper bastard is my grail. Damn you Mr. Lange!!!

ps: Does it say "Glashütte" or "GlasIIütte"?

:drool:

Last edited:
Reactions: csthe

KilowattHour

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/4/19
Couldn't resist, had to get the blue Saxonia thin rep. I wanted an aventurine dial watch for a while, but all non-rep ones are kind of ugly. This one is certainly not ugly - in fact it's quite beautiful. Maybe a bit too beautiful even, heh :)
Let me explain. In all the promo videos of the gen and all the photos and videos of this rep, the sparkling of the dial looks somewhat monochromatic. There's a dark blue dial, and silvery shimmer of the sparkles. That's pretty much what I thought I'd be getting. However, what it looks in real life can be best described as the diamond dust spread across the dark blue dial (dial also has a hint of dark purple to it). The sparkling is not really monochromatic, but instead, much like diamond dust, you can see various colors in the sparkles - white, blue and purple shades. It greatly varies on the lighting situation around you, but in general, the effect is FAR stronger than I expected. Almost to the point that it looks like a fashion watch (something from Swarowski for example), but only superficially, as the effect is certainly a lot different looking than if it was a bunch of tiny crystals spread across the dial. Trusty's video makes the dial look really dull, but trust me, it's anything but! All of this is neither good or bad, but just surprising to me.

Remember that even the original ALS is being advertised as unisex, and in my experience with this rep, that kind of look is definitely captured here.
I also want to say that even ALS in its promo videos has shown this dial as far more subdued than it actually is. If you look at this video, you can see what the gen dial looks like, and that's pretty much the kind of look you'll get with this rep also - except I think a rep is a tiny bit more colorful:
https://www.facebook.com/marshallpie...6421456814305/
Or maybe the gen is also more colorful than I think, because it looks that way in the photos here:
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/a-...opper-hands-on

The rest of the watch is as I expected from the photos. It's nicely finished, indices are well placed, it keeps time really well so far, and other than the spacing in the logo it just looks great. Even the strap is pretty good, and I don't feel the need to replace it with something more expensive. Another nice thing about it is that the winding rotor is not noticeably loud, which often tends to be a problem with rep movements. Only thing that I'd objectively put against it is that it looks like the crystal has no AR coating. So with the crystal being flat, you'll see reflections, and fingerprints easily on it. I wish they'd apply some AR coating, but overall, I would recommend it to anyone looking to add a bit of glitz to their collection.

Last edited:

m1994

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
18/7/17
Leaving the movement aside, why is it not a good replica? I also would like to buy it

Last edited:
Reactions: XLR8R

KilowattHour

18/4/19
Here are a few photos. I tried to capture it in a few different lighting conditions so you can see just how much the appearance of the dial changes based on that:

Single overhad light bulb:

Daylight + multiple overhead light bulbs:

Daylight, overcast, next to the window:

I would say these photos capture the look of the dial better than any I've seen so far, but you also have to remember that even the smallest movement of the watch causes the dial to sparkle up like a diamond dust. So the effect is much more pronounced than a still photo can show. Refer to the video above that shows the gen, and this rep has basically that same sparkly look when moving it.

Leaving the movement aside, why is it not a good replica? I also would like to buy it
Other than the logo "&" character spacing, and being a bit thicker than gen (although it's still quite thin), I see no problems with it honestly. If I was to really nitpick, there's a tiny bit of sharpness to the lugs' ends. If you think you'll enjoy the sparkly dial look, I'd say definitely go for it. I think they nailed the overall look of the gen really well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dmage and gclass

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Thank you for the review. Its looking good. Can you do som measurements of it?
diameter, width, maybe lug/buckle width?

I would love to have a ALS but most they are too far from gen.

If measurements of this watch come near then gen it doesn't matter much about the logo. That's minor. But it's a shame it has automatic movement. They should've done a manual decorated movement.

KilowattHour

18/4/19
Thank you for the review. Its looking good. Can you do som measurements of it?
diameter, width, maybe lug/buckle width?

I would love to have a ALS but most they are too far from gen.

If measurements of this watch come near then gen it doesn't matter much about the logo. That's minor. But it's a shame it has automatic movement. They should've done a manual decorated movement.
Here are some measurements:
Width without crown: 39mm
Width with crown: 41.6mm
Thickness: 8.8mm
Lug to lug: 46mm
Strap width (between the lugs): 19.8mm
Crown diameter: 4.9mm

Reactions: csthe