• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review - A. Lange & Sohne 1815 Tourbillon Handwerkskunst

txia89

Horology Curious
25/6/18
A. Lange & Sohne 1815 Tourbillon Handwerkskunst Review

Bought this piece from a TD in July.

Pros:
  • Heavy weight, very solid feeling
  • Great depth to the dial. The numerals are slightly raised and has a brushed grain on them, which catches the light in spectacular ways.
  • Power reserve lasts 2 days.
  • Keeps great time.
  • Quality of the hands. Machined very precisely. Even though the hands are silver, and the dial is white, the time is very legible as the hands are very reflective.
  • Handwerkskunst finish on the dial is exceptional. Gives the dial exceptional texture.
Neutral:
  • Ticking of the watch is louder than my other watches. However, I personally prefer a loud tick. Combined with the turning of the tourbillon, it makes the watch feel 'alive' somehow.
  • I know that the genuine watch does not have the particular color combination of my watch, but I personally feel that no one I ever meet is likely to be familiar with the brand enough to raise the question and I personally prefer this color combination.
Cons:
  • Larger than the genuine at 42mm.
  • Thicker than the genuine at 11.5mm.
  • Tourbillon mechanism does not have a second hand on it.
  • The included leather strap is complete garbage. Feels like vinyl/plastic. Bought a ColaReb suede brown strap with double deployant clasp for the watch.
In Summary, really happy with my purchase. However, would likely be selling this piece soon to raise money for other watches.

Reactions: csthe

rcom440

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/11/12
USA
Very nice! I love it.
i wish factories would make more AL&S reps.

Reactions: txia89

txia89

Horology Curious
25/6/18
Thanks for the review!

Very nice! I love it.
i wish factories would make more AL&S reps.

Thanks guys! I am relatively new to this forum and hope I can contribute with more reviews in the future!

And rcom, I agree with wanting more and better AL&S reps, as the brand offers several of my grails. However, given the complexity of the watches and the fact that much of what makes their watches attractive are the unbelievable movements, the value of AL&S reps are inherently limited to the very simple pieces. I'd wager that the tourbillon models are as complex as it is going to get for a while.

Reactions: csthe

txia89

Horology Curious
25/6/18
Something I forgot to mention in my review is that the watch wears very comfortably on my thin wrist despite its size. This is helped a lot by the very supple suede strap I got for it. The original strap was very stiff and there was no way to wear the watch as it would constantly squeeze the watch to the side of my wrist. For reference, my wrist is 6.7in (17cm).

B0j

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/4/18
Great review!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
Very cool dial -- is this available in white gold in gen? I can only find rose gold versions. Interesting piece nonetheless ...

cyberceo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/10/18
I bought this piece purely on reading ur review. Fantastic. Now searching for the strap as I too have a thin wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

txia89

Horology Curious
25/6/18
I bought this piece purely on reading ur review. Fantastic. Now searching for the strap as I too have a thin wrist.

Make sure to get a 22mm strap, since the lugs are 22mm. I made the mistake of buying a 20mm strap and had to return it. If you want to use the included pin buckle, make sure that the narrow end of the watch tapers to 18mm and the holes on the strap are wide/rectangular holes.

Last edited:
Reactions: vcappp

txia89

Horology Curious
25/6/18
Very cool dial -- is this available in white gold in gen? I can only find rose gold versions. Interesting piece nonetheless ...

I don't think so. I think the gen only comes in rose gold with the grey dial finish.

Reactions: vcappp

lorenzodoune

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/12/18
italy
great watch! never seen that and i loved always lange. indeed i was searching a similar one and in white its awesome. thanks for the review

Accord11

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
2/12/20
Is this discontinued? Can’t find any TD with it.

fpi87

Known Member
3/11/20
Belgium
Which TD?

PFclones, but then suddenly reminded that they are only a TD on Repgeek, not here, so I stand corrected with the word TD. though on Trusty's site, all RG models are taken offline and SS models not, so I expect it's the same situation for Trusty, he might have them.