• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A. Lange & Sohne Saxonia Moonphase - Review

semperfi55

I'm Pretty Popular
25/4/18
UK
The Watch

As a dress watch kinda guy, A. Lange & Söhne is my go-to brand (he says, walking towards the Tesco reduced section). However, there seems to be less demand for ALS watches in the rep world. I say that because it seems like most models on offer have some sort of obvious spelling mistake or another. Or that the factories believe that ALS has moved to Swtizerland
rolleyes.gif

The closest rep watch I found is the Saxonia Thin which I will get at some point. The Saxonia Moonphase is a close second.

The Rep

Got this lovely watch on M2M from RWG. The original owner bought the watch last August from theonewatches.ru, so the watch is about 8 months old at this point. It has no scratches, no signs of wear: practically mint condition on arrival. Bargain!

41354316532_552f65009a_b.jpg

TD Specs (theonewatches.ru)

One of the best Alange Sohne replica up to date!
MOVEMENT:Asia 23J Automatic with decorated & signed Gold Rotor & decorated bridges/swan neck regulator
CASE DIAMETER:
40mm
THICKNESS:
14mm
DIAL COLOR:
White Dial with SS Stick Markers (Date window at 12:00)
CASE MATERIAL:
Solid Stainless Steel 316L
BRACELET:
Leather strap with Tang Buckle
FRONT GLASS:
Sapphire Crystal
CASE BACK:Display case back with detailed engraving
CLASP TYPE:Tang Buckle
DATE INDICATOR:At 12:00 (Adjusted via pusher at 11:00 & recessed pusher at 4:00 - Each adjust one side of the date wheel)
OTHER REMARKS: Waterproofed to 10m direct from Factory

Dimensions

The gen is 40mm in diameter and 9.8mm thick. For my watch, they've got it pretty spot on for diameter but thickness is 13.5mm. The watch is a beast when looking at it sideways.

41397640751_b6b803f09c_b.jpg
41397639481_592eeb3a61_b.jpg

Dial

Very beautiful dial. I love the detail in the seconds subdial and moonphase. Overall I think they've got the "essence" of what an ALS watch looks like. Sure, the date window is smaller and lower in the rep. The details on the moonphase is not as finished as the gen probably. But for 150 quid I say it's pretty spot on!

40502247405_d8aa28b1cc_b.jpg
26526922177_6987658d32_b.jpg

Movement

Not 100% sure which specific movement used in this watch but it is decorated. Quite a bit of effort has been put into decorating it but I'm sure there's a few tell-tale signs. But who cares, I'm not taking this watch off for anyone to inspect. Thank goodness there are no spelling mistakes nor any references to Swiss-made on the caseback!

The small second hand has a very smooth sweep. But that rotor! Sounds like a chainsaw on my wrist whenever I shake it. Will benefit from a tiny bit of oiling.

41354398092_6702d65fd4_b.jpg
40683394014_e250f056ba_b.jpg

Functions

The pusher at 11:00 is for the date and works fine. Recessed pusher at 4:00 is for the moonphase, easy to use. Played around with the moonphase and it's moving smoothly.

Strap

I'd say the leather strap is of moderate quality. Nice, sturdy strap printed with the brand. Definitely not a cheap plastic strap.

26526939427_243bc2d765_b.jpg

Accuracy

No idea, get a quartz. Not too fussed with the moonphase accuracy either. It'll be off if I don't wear it for a few days anyway. But I did find this site useful for setting the moonphase when needed. Gives a visual reference on how your moonphase should look like presently.

http://www.giangrandi.ch/soft/mooncalc/mooncalc.shtml

Overall

It is an elegant dress watch! I do have some concerns on the thickness but it seems to be fine under my shirt cuffs. Loud rotor. But all these negatives evaporate when I look at that beautiful dial!
biggrin.png

If you're an ALS fan and somewhat fussed about accurate details, the Saxonia Moonphase would be your best bet.

JLCgeo

Known Member
30/8/17
EU
Thanks for the review! Nice job!
Enjoy your ALS, the working moonphase is a great complication !

Reactions: mikeanh77

rickyman94

Known Member
21/10/17
Hey where have you seen a rep of the Saxonia thin? I can’t seem to find one anywhere!

semperfi55

I'm Pretty Popular
25/4/18
UK
JLCgeo Cheers dude! Indeed, I am now hooked to moonphase watches. Got a second one now, a Blancpain Villeret 6654 :D

​​​​​​​rickyman94 I checked with Mary from Mary Watches. Not sure if she is a TD here, but a forum favourite on RWG. Unfortunately they do have second hands (gen has no second hands). But I suppose you can remove them once you get it!

Reactions: Asghar and JLCgeo

resin

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/6/18
Wow... LOL I have to get one now. I love how clean it is, was never a fan of moon phase watches before

Troopy

Horology Curious
26/6/18
Awesome looking watch really like the moon phase.
Thanks for the great review.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
I still don't get it guys... Is the moonphase on this watch functional like the JLC moonphase ZF? Or is it just a day-night indicator....

Reactions: Asghar

Asghar

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
27/10/19
The Watch

As a dress watch kinda guy, A. Lange & Söhne is my go-to brand (he says, walking towards the Tesco reduced section). However, there seems to be less demand for ALS watches in the rep world. I say that because it seems like most models on offer have some sort of obvious spelling mistake or another. Or that the factories believe that ALS has moved to Swtizerland
rolleyes.gif

The closest rep watch I found is the Saxonia Thin which I will get at some point. The Saxonia Moonphase is a close second.

The Rep

Got this lovely watch on M2M from RWG. The original owner bought the watch last August from theonewatches.ru, so the watch is about 8 months old at this point. It has no scratches, no signs of wear: practically mint condition on arrival. Bargain!

41354316532_552f65009a_b.jpg

TD Specs (theonewatches.ru)

One of the best Alange Sohne replica up to date!
MOVEMENT:Asia 23J Automatic with decorated & signed Gold Rotor & decorated bridges/swan neck regulator
CASE DIAMETER:
40mm
THICKNESS:
14mm
DIAL COLOR:
White Dial with SS Stick Markers (Date window at 12:00)
CASE MATERIAL:
Solid Stainless Steel 316L
BRACELET:
Leather strap with Tang Buckle
FRONT GLASS:
Sapphire Crystal
CASE BACK:Display case back with detailed engraving
CLASP TYPE:Tang Buckle
DATE INDICATOR:At 12:00 (Adjusted via pusher at 11:00 & recessed pusher at 4:00 - Each adjust one side of the date wheel)
OTHER REMARKS: Waterproofed to 10m direct from Factory

Dimensions

The gen is 40mm in diameter and 9.8mm thick. For my watch, they've got it pretty spot on for diameter but thickness is 13.5mm. The watch is a beast when looking at it sideways.

41397640751_b6b803f09c_b.jpg
41397639481_592eeb3a61_b.jpg

Dial

Very beautiful dial. I love the detail in the seconds subdial and moonphase. Overall I think they've got the "essence" of what an ALS watch looks like. Sure, the date window is smaller and lower in the rep. The details on the moonphase is not as finished as the gen probably. But for 150 quid I say it's pretty spot on!

40502247405_d8aa28b1cc_b.jpg
26526922177_6987658d32_b.jpg

Movement

Not 100% sure which specific movement used in this watch but it is decorated. Quite a bit of effort has been put into decorating it but I'm sure there's a few tell-tale signs. But who cares, I'm not taking this watch off for anyone to inspect. Thank goodness there are no spelling mistakes nor any references to Swiss-made on the caseback!

The small second hand has a very smooth sweep. But that rotor! Sounds like a chainsaw on my wrist whenever I shake it. Will benefit from a tiny bit of oiling.

41354398092_6702d65fd4_b.jpg
40683394014_e250f056ba_b.jpg

Functions

The pusher at 11:00 is for the date and works fine. Recessed pusher at 4:00 is for the moonphase, easy to use. Played around with the moonphase and it's moving smoothly.

Strap

I'd say the leather strap is of moderate quality. Nice, sturdy strap printed with the brand. Definitely not a cheap plastic strap.

26526939427_243bc2d765_b.jpg

Accuracy

No idea, get a quartz. Not too fussed with the moonphase accuracy either. It'll be off if I don't wear it for a few days anyway. But I did find this site useful for setting the moonphase when needed. Gives a visual reference on how your moonphase should look like presently.

http://www.giangrandi.ch/soft/mooncalc/mooncalc.shtml

Overall

It is an elegant dress watch! I do have some concerns on the thickness but it seems to be fine under my shirt cuffs. Loud rotor. But all these negatives evaporate when I look at that beautiful dial!
biggrin.png

If you're an ALS fan and somewhat fussed about accurate details, the Saxonia Moonphase would be your best bet.
Do you have a pic?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk