X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• majwilliams0308
    started a topic Review of 1815 Tourbillon

Review of 1815 Tourbillon

I recently picked this up from a M2M sale. Quite glad I made this purchase, it's a fantastic watch.

MOVEMENT: Asian Flying Tourbillon Handwind Movement
    CASE DIAMETER: 42mm
    THICKNESS: 11.5mm
    DIAL COLOR: White Dial, Black Numeral Markers (With Flying Tourbillon Exposed Wheel at 6:00)
    CASE MATERIAL: 18K Rose Gold Thick Plated (5 mils) on Solid Stainless Steel 316L
    BRACELET: Leather Strap with Insignia Buckle

It's a manual wind, and I'm not certain how long it lasts, but it's probably similar to the others that are ~50 hours. Notable differences from the gen are the lack of a 'sabre' design for the movement decoration and no seconds hand. The size is also a bit bigger (42mm vs 40mm). One of the most impressive parts of this replica is the 3D printing of the font on the dial. I have some pics of it.

Here's the gen (~$135,000):

Here are my pics of the watch:

Here is the 3D printed font. Love the raised edges.

Compare this dial to my other Lange 1815. Night and day. They need to print this font on all future replicas.

Love it. Would love to hear what you guys think.

Major Pros:
    - Dial font
    - Dial patina, reflection
    - Quality of the gold
    - Hands are finished nicely
    - Smooth winding

Major cons:
    - Poorly duplicated tourbillon replica - no sabres
    - No seconds hand
    - Large size
    - Black strap? Blah.

• jm_brc_7057
    replied
    Originally posted by rcom440 View Post
    It doesn’t look too bad. Also, pictures also make it look larger than it is.

Yeah, it's always so in pictures. I always felt the dial was too big. It wasn't proportionated as the gen.

I was going to buy the new version. But i'll wait and see if some better reps come around.

Leave a comment:

• rcom440
    replied
    Originally posted by jm_brc_7057 View Post

Too late Posted it today. It's on it's way to NF1965

I can show you a wristshot. I think it was 42,5mm. For me the maximum is a short lugged 42mm or preferably 41mm.

I'm already missing it :S
    It doesn’t look too bad. Also, pictures also make it look larger than it is.

Leave a comment:

• xpresso
    replied
    It will be awesome if it is 13mm, 14mm is just too thick for most of us...

從我的iPhone使用RWI 發送

Leave a comment:

• jm_brc_7057
    replied

Oh man, you should keep it. I don’t think I saw wrist shot of your v1. How big did it look on your wrist.
    the thing is if you get used to calatravas and then try ALS then yeah it may feel large but in reality it may not be the case.
    but I feel almost 14mm for a dress watch is ridiculous.
    i hope they will make some new ALS reps soon.
    Too late Posted it today. It's on it's way to NF1965

I can show you a wristshot. I think it was 42,5mm. For me the maximum is a short lugged 42mm or preferably 41mm.

I'm already missing it :S
    Last edited by jm_brc_7057; 09-12-19, 21:43.

Leave a comment:

• rcom440
    replied
    rcom440 majwilliams0308 haha i just sold my V1 ALS Tourby. Stupid decision i can see now. Although it was a bit big for me anyhow. And had too many flaws for my liking. Although quality wise it was one of the best pieces i have had. Movement winded smooth like butter and the dial shimmered really nice. The build quality was superb.

This V2 is too thick then. It's not so visible on the pictures/video of the rep, but when you send the Joker pictures it is horrifying!

Btw Watchfinder has the V2.
    Oh man, you should keep it. I don’t think I saw wrist shot of your v1. How big did it look on your wrist.
    the thing is if you get used to calatravas and then try ALS then yeah it may feel large but in reality it may not be the case.
    but I feel almost 14mm for a dress watch is ridiculous.
    i hope they will make some new ALS reps soon.

Leave a comment:

• jm_brc_7057
    replied
    rcom440 majwilliams0308 haha i just sold my V1 ALS Tourby. Stupid decision i can see now. Although it was a bit big for me anyhow. And had too many flaws for my liking. Although quality wise it was one of the best pieces i have had. Movement winded smooth like butter and the dial shimmered really nice. The build quality was superb.

This V2 is too thick then. It's not so visible on the pictures/video of the rep, but when you send the Joker pictures it is horrifying!

Btw Watchfinder has the V2.
    Last edited by jm_brc_7057; 09-12-19, 19:52.

Leave a comment:

• rcom440
    replied

Hmm doesn't sound good when you put it like that mate. Is it really that thick? Doesn't look so in the pictures and video. Or is it just me?

Agree with KilowattHour
    The dial on the V1 is superb.
    It is, did you see vid when they measured it. Almost 14mm think - that’s like Panerai Bettarini case except Panerai will look thinner than that Lange because they are 44mm (or 47) so they won’t look as think as that Lange which is 41mm to 14mm thickness ration.
    i was hopping for 12mm but almost 14mm with 41mm case that’s a tuna can and not a dress watch.
    dial looks too elegant to put it on 14mm case.
    Stick to your Lange tourby you already have.
    the good thing is, maybe they will start repping Lange watches.

btw I found Lange 1815 chronograph rep with black dial yesterday. It have also moon phase function too but it it’s it’s non working. It didn’t look bad - I’d give it 5 out of 10. It wasn’t as think at this tourby.

Leave a comment:

• jm_brc_7057
    replied
    Just watched that video - cut out looks huge and
    its almost as think as Panerai Bettarini case.
    Hmm doesn't sound good when you put it like that mate. Is it really that thick? Doesn't look so in the pictures and video. Or is it just me?

Agree with KilowattHour
    The dial on the V1 is superb.

Leave a comment:

• rcom440
    replied
    Originally posted by majwilliams0308 View Post

Yeah man, this is the V9F Joker I just sold, and it was exactly 13.94mm thick (same as this rep). It felt a bit too big for my 6.75" wrists and the body size in combination with the weight and thickness (cuffs pushing down on it), it began to hurt my wrist bone.

yeah so imagine that thickness on a dress watch with elegant looking dial.
    it works on Panerai, APs ROO or other sport models but not on a Lange dress watch.
    Last edited by rcom440; 09-12-19, 17:20.

Leave a comment:

• majwilliams0308
    replied
    Yeah man, this is the V9F Joker I just sold, and it was exactly 13.94mm thick (same as this rep). It felt a bit too big for my 6.75" wrists and the body size in combination with the weight and thickness (cuffs pushing down on it), it began to hurt my wrist bone.

Leave a comment:

• rcom440
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rcom440
    replied
    Originally posted by KilowattHour View Post
    Despite the fact that the tourbillion is better replicated on this one (nice sabres, correct screw colors, mounted seconds hand), I find that the size ratio of the tourbillion hole vs the dial, and the hole position looks off, and the crown is way too much offcenter. This gives it an overall wrong look IMO even from a quick glance, even if the minute details on tourbillion are better executed.

It's also worth noting that the old rep has an incredibly high quality dial that has a kind of soft shimmer to it that simply can't be photographed, which makes it one of the best looking dials I've ever seen - rep or gen. It's impossible to know if this rep has that same kind of dial until we see it in person.
    I got excited for a couple of seconds when I saw it for the fist time but then I did notice how weird is the cut out for the tourby - it does look out of proportion.
    another thing is case thickness - I don’t see myself how I could wear it as a dress watch. I know gen is thick but this is tuna fish can thick.
    they should putt second hand and longer arms on the old version but I’m guessing it was made by different factory.

Leave a comment:

• KilowattHour
    replied
    Despite the fact that the tourbillion is better replicated on this one (nice sabres, correct screw colors, mounted seconds hand), I find that the size ratio of the tourbillion hole vs the dial, and the hole position looks off, and the crown is way too much offcenter. This gives it an overall wrong look IMO even from a quick glance, even if the minute details on tourbillion are better executed.

It's also worth noting that the old rep has an incredibly high quality dial that has a kind of soft shimmer to it that simply can't be photographed, which makes it one of the best looking dials I've ever seen - rep or gen. It's impossible to know if this rep has that same kind of dial until we see it in person.
    Last edited by KilowattHour; 09-12-19, 03:03.

Leave a comment:

• jm_brc_7057
    replied
    Originally posted by majwilliams0308 View Post
    Notable differences:
    - Obviously case size (39.5 x 11.1 vs 41 x 13.9)
    - Center pinion cap is smaller on rep
    - "Made in Germany" print is slightly smaller on gen
    - Tourbillon hole cut on dial is slightly below center pinion on gen, on the rep it goes all the way up to the pinion.
    - Watch hand gear at top of tourbillon hole is smaller, but I believe that is due to the cutout of the tourbillon hole
    - Seconds hand: Rep does not extend to the outer ring of the circle, and the balance is shorter on the back end of it
    - Balance bridge is wider on gen
    - Crown is slightly bigger on rep

Good things:
    - Dial print and font look good (though rep isn't as bold slightly)
    - Tourbillon overall looks really similar
    - Case shape is good
    - Hour and minute hands look good
    Thanks mate for taking your time making this excellent analysis. Appreciated. I just got an update from Trusty. He can't get it. He says it will be replicated sometime later. I'm not sure if it's because it hasn't been released yet. This maybe a prototype. I'm awaiting answer from Watchfinder.

Regarding the thickness i will say much of it will be buried in the wrist, as the back case is sloped and rests below the lugs, the part i've marked:

I don't see it being thick on the wrist.
    Last edited by jm_brc_7057; 04-12-19, 21:33.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X