• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review of 1815 Tourbillon

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
majwilliams0308 true that. I dont quite get it
its like they dont wanna put the effort in to the ALS reps.
The tourbillon of the IWC 5463 and the Portuguese Mystere, and also the 14 day power reserve vacheron constantin tourbillon are decorated to perfectly look like the gen. It could've been done with this ALS rep too by making the sabre different, fixing it with silver instead of blue screws and putting a seconds hand on top. Instead they just used the seagull without touching it at all.

triker

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/12
UK
This is my baby on a stunning strap too. So difficult getting the gorgeous rose gold right with a photo.

Regards,

triker.

triker

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/12
UK
jm_brc_7057
Hi,
yes the strap suits the watch superbly, gets nothing but truly admiring questions and never been asked the age old rep questions.
The strap is an Orlof make - it is soft, subtle and gorgeous to look at and the colours are stunning.

Hope it helps.

Kind Regards

triker.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
jm_brc_7057
Hi,
yes the strap suits the watch superbly, gets nothing but truly admiring questions and never been asked the age old rep questions.
The strap is an Orlof make - it is soft, subtle and gorgeous to look at and the colours are stunning.

Hope it helps.

Kind Regards

triker.

Thanks mate. I've sent him an e-mail.

Reactions: triker

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland
This is my baby on a stunning strap too. So difficult getting the gorgeous rose gold right with a photo.

Regards,

triker.

I really miss that one.

Reactions: triker

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Some "no-name" factory, I saw that on a wechat dealer.

Incredibly well made. I'm asking around if any TD has it.
it doesn't look too thick. If you note the gen is relatively thick for its 39.5mm (11.1mm thickness). Therefore for a 41mm the 13.9mm thickness can do in my opinion. Also I dont think it's a catastrophe if a tourbillon watch is a tad thick. It looks balanced.
incredibly well decorated tourbillon with correct sabre and screw color. Nice that it has brushed sides with lugs being polished on the sides too.
The seconds hand is mounted on top of the tourbillon. I think this is giving the watch the extra millimeters. In the old version there wasnt space beneath the crystal to mount it. So they have made it a bit thicker. Acceptable compromise I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: xpresso and Almog

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Incredibly well made. I'm asking around if any TD has it.
it doesn't look too thick. If you note the gen is relatively thick for its 39.5mm (11.1mm thickness). Therefore for a 41mm the 13.9mm thickness can do in my opinion. Also I dont think it's a catastrophe if a tourbillon watch is a tad thick. It looks balanced.
incredibly well decorated tourbillon with correct sabre and screw color. Nice that it has brushed sides with lugs being polished on the sides too.
The seconds hand is mounted on top of the tourbillon. I think this is giving the watch the extra millimeters. In the old version there wasnt space beneath the crystal to mount it. So they have made it a bit thicker. Acceptable compromise I think.

Yeah agreed on the size.

I'm going to ask Spongebob if he thinks he can thin it by 2mm or so if we remove the back decorative plate. I am willing to sacrifice an undecorated back for a 12mm tourbillon. This is probably the best Lange rep we've got so far.

Here is a quick comparison:

VqPqEL.jpg

Notable differences:
- Obviously case size (39.5 x 11.1 vs 41 x 13.9)
- Center pinion cap is smaller on rep
- "Made in Germany" print is slightly smaller on gen
- Tourbillon hole cut on dial is slightly below center pinion on gen, on the rep it goes all the way up to the pinion.
- Watch hand gear at top of tourbillon hole is smaller, but I believe that is due to the cutout of the tourbillon hole
- Seconds hand: Rep does not extend to the outer ring of the circle, and the balance is shorter on the back end of it
- Balance bridge is wider on gen
- Crown is slightly bigger on rep

Good things:
- Dial print and font look good (though rep isn't as bold slightly)
- Tourbillon overall looks really similar
- Case shape is good
- Hour and minute hands look good
- Surprising: the bottom of the tourbillon cutout lines up with the dial the same as gen.

Last edited:

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Notable differences:
- Obviously case size (39.5 x 11.1 vs 41 x 13.9)
- Center pinion cap is smaller on rep
- "Made in Germany" print is slightly smaller on gen
- Tourbillon hole cut on dial is slightly below center pinion on gen, on the rep it goes all the way up to the pinion.
- Watch hand gear at top of tourbillon hole is smaller, but I believe that is due to the cutout of the tourbillon hole
- Seconds hand: Rep does not extend to the outer ring of the circle, and the balance is shorter on the back end of it
- Balance bridge is wider on gen
- Crown is slightly bigger on rep

Good things:
- Dial print and font look good (though rep isn't as bold slightly)
- Tourbillon overall looks really similar
- Case shape is good
- Hour and minute hands look good

Thanks mate for taking your time making this excellent analysis. Appreciated. I just got an update from Trusty. He can't get it. He says it will be replicated sometime later. I'm not sure if it's because it hasn't been released yet. This maybe a prototype. I'm awaiting answer from Watchfinder.

Regarding the thickness i will say much of it will be buried in the wrist, as the back case is sloped and rests below the lugs, the part i've marked:

VeMOjqn.png

I don't see it being thick on the wrist.

Last edited:
Reactions: Almog

KilowattHour

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/4/19
Despite the fact that the tourbillion is better replicated on this one (nice sabres, correct screw colors, mounted seconds hand), I find that the size ratio of the tourbillion hole vs the dial, and the hole position looks off, and the crown is way too much offcenter. This gives it an overall wrong look IMO even from a quick glance, even if the minute details on tourbillion are better executed.

It's also worth noting that the old rep has an incredibly high quality dial that has a kind of soft shimmer to it that simply can't be photographed, which makes it one of the best looking dials I've ever seen - rep or gen. It's impossible to know if this rep has that same kind of dial until we see it in person.

Last edited:
Reactions: jm_brc_7057

rcom440

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/11/12
USA
Despite the fact that the tourbillion is better replicated on this one (nice sabres, correct screw colors, mounted seconds hand), I find that the size ratio of the tourbillion hole vs the dial, and the hole position looks off, and the crown is way too much offcenter. This gives it an overall wrong look IMO even from a quick glance, even if the minute details on tourbillion are better executed.

It's also worth noting that the old rep has an incredibly high quality dial that has a kind of soft shimmer to it that simply can't be photographed, which makes it one of the best looking dials I've ever seen - rep or gen. It's impossible to know if this rep has that same kind of dial until we see it in person.

I got excited for a couple of seconds when I saw it for the fist time but then I did notice how weird is the cut out for the tourby - it does look out of proportion.
another thing is case thickness - I don’t see myself how I could wear it as a dress watch. I know gen is thick but this is tuna fish can thick.
they should putt second hand and longer arms on the old version but I’m guessing it was made by different factory.

rcom440

10/11/12
USA
Just watched that video - cut out looks huge and
its almost as think as Panerai Bettarini case.

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16

Yeah man, this is the V9F Joker I just sold, and it was exactly 13.94mm thick (same as this rep). It felt a bit too big for my 6.75" wrists and the body size in combination with the weight and thickness (cuffs pushing down on it), it began to hurt my wrist bone.

Vqfu3p.jpg

rcom440

10/11/12
USA
Yeah man, this is the V9F Joker I just sold, and it was exactly 13.94mm thick (same as this rep). It felt a bit too big for my 6.75" wrists and the body size in combination with the weight and thickness (cuffs pushing down on it), it began to hurt my wrist bone.

Vqfu3p.jpg

yeah so imagine that thickness on a dress watch with elegant looking dial.
it works on Panerai, APs ROO or other sport models but not on a Lange dress watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: majwilliams0308

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia

Hmm doesn't sound good when you put it like that mate. Is it really that thick? Doesn't look so in the pictures and video. Or is it just me?

Agree with KilowattHour
The dial on the V1 is superb.

rcom440

10/11/12
USA
Hmm doesn't sound good when you put it like that mate. Is it really that thick? Doesn't look so in the pictures and video. Or is it just me?

Agree with KilowattHour
The dial on the V1 is superb.

It is, did you see vid when they measured it. Almost 14mm think - that’s like Panerai Bettarini case except Panerai will look thinner than that Lange because they are 44mm (or 47) so they won’t look as think as that Lange which is 41mm to 14mm thickness ration.
i was hopping for 12mm but almost 14mm with 41mm case that’s a tuna can and not a dress watch.
dial looks too elegant to put it on 14mm case.
Stick to your Lange tourby you already have.
the good thing is, maybe they will start repping Lange watches.

btw I found Lange 1815 chronograph rep with black dial yesterday. It have also moon phase function too but it it’s it’s non working. It didn’t look bad - I’d give it 5 out of 10. It wasn’t as think at this tourby.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
rcom440 majwilliams0308 haha i just sold my V1 ALS Tourby. Stupid decision i can see now. Although it was a bit big for me anyhow. And had too many flaws for my liking. Although quality wise it was one of the best pieces i have had. Movement winded smooth like butter and the dial shimmered really nice. The build quality was superb.

This V2 is too thick then. It's not so visible on the pictures/video of the rep, but when you send the Joker pictures it is horrifying!

Btw Watchfinder has the V2.

Last edited: