• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Small Review: A. Lange & Sohne Datograph Flyback

GeDi

Renowned Member
5/2/13
Small Review: A. Lange & Söhne Datograph Flyback

The watch arrived two days ago. (From Ryan - intime)

IT IS SUPERB. Like i expected it to be .

Ryan was kind and more than professional. I could not recomend him more.

Amazing dealer with superb manners and communication skills.

The watch is Super ellegant, fresh and with a slight mix of vintage dial plus modern square buttons.

Movement at small seconds not very smooth moving but very satisfying.
All in all you can easily classify this watch as a vintage one, so smoothness in seconds will not be a quality issue for the casual observer.

Also the Date indicator is not always aligned. Meaning today 09 the 0 is slightly lower than 9. That is because the first and second number are probably in different date wheels. The date is adjusted via the button at 10.
I personally love this feature. But when you change the date you can see that it changes each of the two numbers individually.

I also love the simplicity of the crown function. You wind without pulling, and when pulling in first ( and only ) position you set the time. Very nice touch and smooth feeling during winding and time setting.

Simplicity is the key to brilliance as they say.

Not sure if it's the key to water proofeness though.

Remember this is a fantasy model, and due to the price of the Gen almost no one will be lucky enough to have observed the Gen in real life.

Croco strap is very light coffee brown.
It should be ok for casual wear over the next months. This is not an everyday watch after all.

The buckle is very nice and the matte finish on it gives a luxury touch.

In general the watch has a very nice combination of brushed / polished Rose Gold surfaces.
That is a very distinctive characteristic that cannot be seen and appreciated in the photos but only in real.
The white dial makes the Rose Gold much more elegant and discreet than the black dial.

One thing i noticed is that the lungs where they meet the case have a bigger narration at the side of the 12 than in the side if 6.
Meaning that there is a small interval between lungs and case that is more deep at the outer lungs than in the inner ones. ( will post pic about this ).

The watch is absolutely stunning.
The dial tends to change color variations based in the light reflections and that shows quality.

Nice touch are the light silver subdials at 4 & 9 where you can only see and admire them from certain angles.
These along with the lightly bluish small hands at 4 & 8 make the watch a stunner IMO.

The movement at the back is very nice and interesting. A nice touch and different than the ones we are used to see in more popular reps.
Keep in mind that the factory now has a slight change to the back engravings adding some more information and numbers than the previous edition.
A minus is that they now engrave GLASHUTEI. SA instead of GLASHUTTE I . SA, but that should not concern you because, first of all, only a few people know that GLASHUTTE is a place on earth. Moreover once you wear this watch on your wrist you will not want to take it out.!!!

On to some quick pics taken in a rush with my Iphone5.

View attachment 20307
View attachment 20308
View attachment 20309
View attachment 20310

GeDi

Renowned Member
5/2/13
Slight difference at lungs connection
-not necessary visible in the pic-

Maybe also it exists only in my mind :)

View attachment 20316
eve4y8yh.jpg

devavuze.jpg

geza8yva.jpg

jc368

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
14/7/11
Thanks for the review - lovely pictures, and looks great on your wrist.

Do you happen to have any pictures of the caseback? I'm considering this watch and would like to see the new engraving.

jc368

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
14/7/11
Nevermind - I just saw your QC pics thread on the topic. As you say, I don't think the new spelling mistake is enough to put a buyer off, but it is annoying that the factory has introduced a new error.

GeDi

Renowned Member
5/2/13
I ll check waterproof results in some days and keep you guys posted

GeDi

Renowned Member
5/2/13
Posted some more for your convenience

Thanks for the review - lovely pictures, and looks great on your wrist.

Do you happen to have any pictures of the caseback? I'm considering this watch and would like to see the new engraving.

D

d4m.test

I ll check waterproof results in some days and keep you guys posted

Be careful! The chrono and date pushers are prime culprits for water leaks. Don't even attempt getting this wet and just consider it not waterproof. It's too nice to swim or shower with anyways. Lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

GeDi

Renowned Member
5/2/13
Dont worry i mean i ll water test it in dry machine tester to 3 atm. ;)

Be careful! The chrono and date pushers are prime culprits for water leaks. Don't even attempt getting this wet and just consider it not waterproof. It's too nice to swim or shower with anyways. Lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

GeDi

Renowned Member
5/2/13
It has so many differences from the Gen that its like its a different model...

No need to worry if someone spots the differences..
Worry if someone spots any simularities haha :)

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
Well, 99.999999999% of people have never heard of the brand ! You have to be a true enthusiast to know it.

Motoman4540

24/2/13
Mine doesn't get a lot of wrist time, but it is a super classy, beautiful watch. Looks just like the gen, unless you put them side by side. Oddly, mine has totally different engraving style on the caseback than the one pictured. Mine is engraved like the gen, but not nearly as deep. Nonetheless, this is a great dress watch!

I'm an AP fan. My Datograph is my "suit" watch, and I have to say that the more that I wear it, the more that I love it. It is one super classy watch. It won't replace my AP collection, but it is a sweet watch!!!

Reactions: Asghar

sharrkey

Legendary Member
Advisor
14/6/08
Gimp f*ck off

Sent from my iPhone 5 Using TapaTalk2 S???R?I?????

AB51

Horology Curious
4/2/13
Great review. I've got one of these on my wish list but have wondered whether there are any long term problems with this modified movement. None of the ST19 calibres have subdials at 4 and 8 or date as standard so it must be modified. Does it have similar problems to the 'seconds at 6' versions of the 7750 movement for instance? Date change problems have been reported elsewhere, is it a general problem? Would be good if someone who has owned and used one of these for at least a few months could report back on reliability. I have other chronos with the standard ST19 movement and they are very reliable.