• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Reps parts interchangeable

tbandy

Supporter
Certified
16/6/21
Miami, FL USA
Hi Guys I am just wondering if the latest subs from VSF or Clean are capable to use genuine parts
Like Crystals, Crown and Tube, Bezel inserts.
I am asking cuz most dealers claim that this reps are made 1:1 with the genuine.

Any comment will be highly appreciated

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Patron
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I would recommend you do a search for the specific model and parts you're looking to interchange. They are generally compatible between the genuine parts, although there are some caveats regarding things like the crystal gasket thickness, etc. Also, and this is my personal opinion, the majority of the parts upgrades are not necessary unless the replica park is broken. The current batches of replicas, including VSF and clean, are so good that there is no visual advantage to most upgrades vs the cost. Again, if a part needs replacement then yes installing the genuine part is worthwhile and makes sense, but from a visual perspective, no. This bit of advice comes from someone who's had a number of high-end franken's over the years so I do have the perspective.

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
I would recommend you do a search for the specific model and parts you're looking to interchange. They are generally compatible between the genuine parts, although there are some caveats regarding things like the crystal gasket thickness, etc. Also, and this is my personal opinion, the majority of the parts upgrades are not necessary unless the replica park is broken. The current batches of replicas, including VSF and clean, are so good that there is no visual advantage to most upgrades vs the cost. Again, if a part needs replacement then yes installing the genuine part is worthwhile and makes sense, but from a visual perspective, no. This bit of advice comes from someone who's had a number of high-end franken's over the years so I do have the perspective.
I agree. Replacing a part just to earn bragging rights for owning a franken movement makes no sense; however, when the time comes to replace a rep part, going genuine is an alternative worth considering.

As good as the clones from Dandong now are, the Chinese parts are not in the same league as the ones coming from Geneva. In some instances, particularly with the 3135, genuine parts are not much more expensive.

Reactions: tbandy