• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Outdoor security camera to consider

Naples Guy

Horology Curious
16/5/21
It's been a while since I last posted at RWI due to life getting in the way but I'm hoping you folks can help me a bit. My home was recently damaged while away with wifey for medical issues. Preferences:

- Looking to install outdoor camera on garage in front, front door and maybe in the back as well.
- Don't really want flood light if possible.
-Have decent wifi in the house.
- Probably want to keep the info somewhere in the cloud.
- Thinking that cameras that are movement activated is way to go.
- Want to be able to activate live camera via phone app if away from home and wanting to check things out.
- prefer wireless but will wire it if I really have to.

Any thoughts or strong preferences? I'm seeing lots of choices out there and so many reviews but thinking so many reviews are bought and paid for these days!

Thanks!

WIll

Cziggy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Certified
22/11/22
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I really prefer the Ubqiuiti solution which is hard wired and recordings are kept on premise with a server and not the cloud. No cloud or month to month fees and the overall cost is pretty good but you would need to run network cabling to the locations which might be a downside for you.

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh
I'd get a couple of Pitbulls and dobermans plus rigged afew shotguns around the house with a trip wire.

And while you're at it, some bear traps would do the trick too.

I;d put the dobermans inside the house.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Patron
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Wyze og. They are the best budget option I've found. Very user friendly, only complaint is there isn't a PC interface, only android and iPhone. You can get around this by installing in Android emulator and then installing the app in the emulator. Slightly annoying but does work as I have this setup.

Pinion Minion

World Class Breaker of Movements
Supporter
Certified
5/8/22
Texas
Wyze and Ubiquiti as mentioned above are great solutions- Wyze being the budget minded option. I have played with both- currently have a proprietary system at my home but use Ring at a weekend home. Ring is easy to set up and its 35usd/yr for cloud storage-a bit pricey for the cam quality and i had one camera fail with no recourse from the company- but its a reasonable option.

Deep

You're Saying I Can Buy?
Supporter
Certified
9/7/23
My time to shine, finally something I can contribute 🔥

Although wireless is improving with each generation, it simply can't compete with wired options. You mentioned you're not adversed to running wires, I would recommend it.

A simple CAT5e ethernet cable will provide both power and comms. There's numerous wireless cameras but I wouldn't recommend a battery solution for your needs.

This is literally what I do for a living, I'm more than happy to offer recommendations whatever your budget may be. Can you pm me a rough drawing of your house?

I will need to know what you're looking to cover as well as where we have access to the home network. There's numerous solutions available, comes down to your wants and budget.

Naples Guy

Horology Curious
16/5/21
I really prefer the Ubqiuiti solution which is hard wired and recordings are kept on premise with a server and not the cloud. No cloud or month to month fees and the overall cost is pretty good but you would need to run network cabling to the locations which might be a downside for you.
I appreciate the feedback. Yours is one of the options I have considered but as you state, running the cabling plus the up cost of buying a server have me thinking.

Cziggy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Certified
22/11/22
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I appreciate the feedback. Yours is one of the options I have considered but as you state, running the cabling plus the up cost of buying a server have me thinking.
Ive done this setup for myself and it beats any wireless/cloud based solution by a long shot, You control your data and have access to it, regardless of internet outages. A bit of up front work to get things setup but if you have real winters where you are, you dont have to recharge batteries in the when its -30 outside or have to climb all over the place to keep them charged.

HootschiGootschi

„105 OR 1=1“
Patron
Certified
6/2/19
HG in da house
How can someone with exactly 2 posts say:

“It's been a while since I last posted at RWI..“
I don’t get it 🤔

To your question about surveillance cameras:
based on your description their might be many ways to get cameras all around your area.
there are cheap HD cams out there, with WiFi, accu, night vision, smart card writing & cloud upload. (Search google for VicoHome in example)

However,
I would suggest to ask that question in a forum that is more related to those topics than this one

• Haha
Reactions: Rx4Time

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
My time to shine, finally something I can contribute 🔥

Although wireless is improving with each generation, it simply can't compete with wired options. You mentioned you're not adversed to running wires, I would recommend it.

A simple CAT5e ethernet cable will provide both power and comms. There's numerous wireless cameras but I wouldn't recommend a battery solution for your needs.

This is literally what I do for a living, I'm more than happy to offer recommendations whatever your budget may be. Can you pm me a rough drawing of your house?

I will need to know what you're looking to cover as well as where we have access to the home network. There's numerous solutions available, comes down to your wants and budget.
Yes and address and room where the watches are please. For security reasons.

Naples Guy

Horology Curious
16/5/21
Ive done this setup for myself and it beats any wireless/cloud based solution by a long shot, You control your data and have access to it, regardless of internet outages. A bit of up front work to get things setup but if you have real winters where you are, you dont have to recharge batteries in the when its -30 outside or have to climb all over the place to keep them charged.
LOL. Live in Naples, FL.

• Haha
Reactions: Rx4Time

Naples Guy

Horology Curious
16/5/21
How can someone with exactly 2 posts say:

“It's been a while since I last posted at RWI..“
I don’t get it 🤔

To your question about surveillance cameras:
based on your description their might be many ways to get cameras all around your area.
there are cheap HD cams out there, with WiFi, accu, night vision, smart card writing & cloud upload. (Search google for VicoHome in example)

However,
I would suggest to ask that question in a forum that is more related to those topics than this one
I was a member of the forum in the 2000s in a different iteration.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
My home is wired with 8 cameras. I prefer the wired option because it plays live on a monitor that's in my kitchen / Family Room area. There's an app you can access them on and see at any moment. I think it as a #TB Hard drive so it usually keeps 3 months or so of footage. I bought them 5 years ago and they still work perfectly. The brand is Swan.